• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

iPads/tablets in drivers cabs on C2C services

Status
Not open for further replies.

traingeek97

I’ve noticed some C2C trains now have iPads (or some other sort of tablet) mounted onto the driver’s desk in the cab. Does anybody know what these are used for? I can understand during training but I’ve seen solo drivers with them on. I’ve always thought it would make sense for trains to have a Train Simulator-style HUD.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bengley

Established Member
Driver Advisory System
Advises the driver when they can coast to save energy and gives them their stopping pattern and arrival/departure times

pompeyfan

Established Member
I’ve noticed some C2C trains now have iPads (or some other sort of tablet) mounted onto the driver’s desk in the cab. Does anybody know what these are used for? I can understand during training but I’ve seen solo drivers with them on. I’ve always thought it would make sense for trains to have a Train Simulator-style HUD.

its a driver advisory system with speeds for turnouts and exact location in mileage and chains. At my TOC post qualified drivers (drivers with less than one year productive) are not permitted to use it as it’s believed it’s a distraction for new drivers. It’s there solely as an assistance, nothing more.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
There very good for reporting incidents with pin point mileage, especially track defects.
Different operators have more or less information on them, for example FOCs have train lists etc.

traingeek97

Thanks all. Hadn't seen them before I took a c2c service the other day? Are they fairly commonplace across the rail network? Do they give information about upcoming stations? (not suggesting they would ever replace traditional route learning).

martin2345uk

Established Member
We're meant to be getting them on our FOC, the cabs are being fitted out with cradles and USB sockets, but I predict a long and slow rollout :lol:

iphone76

Thanks all. Hadn't seen them before I took a c2c service the other day? Are they fairly commonplace across the rail network? Do they give information about upcoming stations? (not suggesting they would ever replace traditional route learning).
I only discovered these after sitting behind the driver and wondering what the weird noises were coming from the cab.

We were going to get this system, however, we heard a rumour that the leasing company wouldn't allow the modifications to be carried out.

jimfrst

The system c2c use is T.A.S (Timetable advisory system) they are not for telling the driver when to coast, or for the speeds.
They only show the stopping pattern and the departure times of the train and give an alert of the approaching station and a reminder of the train length.

Timpg

its a driver advisory system with speeds for turnouts and exact location in mileage and chains. At my TOC post qualified drivers (drivers with less than one year productive) are not permitted to use it as it’s believed it’s a distraction for new drivers. It’s there solely as an assistance, nothing more.
I must admit as a new driver I did find them to be rather distracting. Also adhering to the coasting/ speed recommendations, I found that you arrive dead at stations dead on time with not a lot of dwell tell at stations when busy. Therefore ended up leaving a little late. (Obviously pre lockdown).

dk1

Veteran Member
Driver Advisory System
Advises the driver when they can coast to save energy and gives them their stopping pattern and arrival/departure times
Had them twice now & gave it a go but found it so irritating so like most I know never bother. Sadly they are going to be incorporated into the TMS screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.