• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

iPhone touchscreens on Class 800/801

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmartin

Very odd problem. A friend reported on a class 800 on LNER that his iPhone's did not respond to touchscreen input when plugged into the power on the train.

On a GWR Class 800 same problem with my friends iPhone.

Anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Poor earthing tends to be the cause of this, I've had some cheap chargers that did it. I expect the sockets are not earthed to the train body or something, depending on how exactly they work.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It’s the same when using them plugged in anywhere, in my experience.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
What socket is he using in the train? A 5V DC USB socket, or 240V AC mains socket plus his own phone charger? Either way it will be due to a "noisy" power supply, possibly in combination with a rubbish phone charger. My iPad does the same with an aftermarket charger but is fine with the Apple one that it came with.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Various chargers, cables, charging places (home, away, work, on the move). iPad Air2.

If it happens with an Apple-supplied charger and cable plugged into a regular household 230V socket and there is no earth fault on the whole house, that's probably a faulty iPad.

It happens to me with a cheapo charger but not an Apple charger with an Apple cable.

Certain XC Voyagers have started doing this to me with my iPhone. First noticed it on 800s though. Proper Apple charger (albeit an iPad one) and cable used.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Welcome to the wonderful world of EM interference debugging

Beebman

I had that happen to me a couple of weeks ago on an Azuma when returning from Donny to KGX but it was fine on the outward journey and it was also OK on a GWR 800 on Saturday on a trip from Reading to Newport. In all 3 cases I was using the USB power socket.

Fudgefrog

The touchscreen on my iphone tends to go crazy when charging on class 802s, but curiously only when it’s on electric towards Paddington. The time the train’s on diesel all is well. Usually plugged into the train’s own USB port using an original Apple cable. Never had that problem on anything other than an IEP/802.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm sure this was discussed on the now closed GWR Class 800 thread and I noted that it only seems to be an issue when operating in electric mode?

Class455

Established Member
I had the same issue when travelling on an Azuma between Leeds and London back in May when my iPhone screen suddenly started playing up once I plugged it in. I hope Hitachi manage to rectify the issue as soon as.

Crossover

Established Member
My Dad had the same problem on an Azuma at the end of last week - original charger block and cable connected to the 13A socket. I think it affected my iPhone too - I can't actually remember as I was using my tablet most of the time.

It isn't a new issue per sé - my iPhone touch sensor didn't work when I was connected to the USB socket on a GC 180 the other day and I have had USB sockets cause problems with it before elsewhere (including once in a hotel)

dgl

Established Member
My DELL 2-in-1 laptop does this when on battery power and plugged into a Panasonic radio at work (both directly and through a USB AI) makes the touch screen all but unusable, detecting incorrect or multiple touches, plugging in the grounded adaptor fixes the issue.

I think the main problem is that due to EMI filtering in especially un-grounded chargers there is some mains leakage to the low voltage side that can become problematic, and surprisingly the higher quality the charger the more likely it is to be leaky.
Something my previous laptop demonstrated to annoying effect given it's metalized case (on 2 different genuine chargers), plugging it into anything grounded made the case feel so weird it was uncomfortable for me to touch, attaching a grounded supply again fixed the issue.

XC victim

I always have this problem when I plug my iPhone in on a XC voyager. I have never had this problem on any other trains including GWR Class 800 & class 802

Idiotic

It happens on other stock too. It also affected me on Javelins when running on AC.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've had this problem on GWR's IET trains on more than one occasion. IPhone 6, using the original Apple charger, never had the issue anywhere else.

IIRC it only happens when the train is in electric mode. Very annoying.

Bantamzen

Established Member
My DELL 2-in-1 laptop does this when on battery power and plugged into a Panasonic radio at work (both directly and through a USB AI) makes the touch screen all but unusable, detecting incorrect or multiple touches, plugging in the grounded adaptor fixes the issue.

I think the main problem is that due to EMI filtering in especially un-grounded chargers there is some mains leakage to the low voltage side that can become problematic, and surprisingly the higher quality the charger the more likely it is to be leaky.
Something my previous laptop demonstrated to annoying effect given it's metalized case (on 2 different genuine chargers), plugging it into anything grounded made the case feel so weird it was uncomfortable for me to touch, attaching a grounded supply again fixed the issue.

Just reading around the net, this has been an issue for many years, over a myriad of devices but usually (though not exclusively) occurring when charging without a grounded adaptor. So I think your idea that some leakage or electrical noise, which I imagine is very possible on trains especially electrics, is causing the touch sensors treat it as contact on the sensitive surface is probably not far off the mark. Personally with my Sony XZ2 I don't have the sensor issue some are having, but the case feels slightly odd as if the vibration unit was moving ever so slightly when I charge using certain points, so this is probably related.

uvarvu

I have the same issue with my Pixel 3 and its charger. I also tried my MBP charger and that made no difference.

Dren Ahmeti

All touch-screen phones (that I’ve witnessed, including my own) tend to have this issue (especially iPhones) on the 800-802 series when running on Electric mode; I believe it’s something to do with the grounding and/or power supply to the socket.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Never had a problem on 800/802s. But then again, I dont own any Apple products...

Ilkley333

Currently experiencing this problem on an Azuma. Thought I was going mad so googled it and landed here! Never had this problem before, including on other LNER trains which I use very regularly.

First time in Azuma standard and my word, the seats are uncomfortable. I know this is a boring comment now, but I thought it was just people whinging! Used to look forward to long train journeys but not any more. How can train comfort actually go backwards!

Metal_gee_man

It's funny how electromagnetic interference really throws our toys and gadgets, my Jabra Bluetooth earbuds kick off and stop working when sat on a S Stock Met/Circle/District line train right by the door exclusively when the doors are opened and closed! It happens as well on the class 395s if you are waiting to disembark and close to the door.
Frustratingly, I've not found this to be fixable and would require a TOC or TFL to do something to their product that they won't admit is causing this issue, or prepared to acknowledge, so it's a put up and shut up

Last edited:

CharlesR

It’s happened since day 1, I don’t really charge my phone on the train as the battery is alright on it. Macbook works fine on it, so no idea why.

angryskipfan

It’s probably due to the ungrounded plastic earth pin on most phone chargers. Most but not all laptops use a grounded charger with a real earth pin so might not be affected. The earth pin on most trais is connected to the train bodyshell and rcd is used on live and neutral pins. The ungrounded phone screen capacitively couples emi prevalent inside the train whis is enough to cause the false presses etc.

London bound

Had this problem today on an LNER Azuma going to Kings Cross. My Apple iPad went haywire with the keypad inserting untapped letters,etc. when it was charging. Not an issue when I unplugged it. Trouble was that my battery was low. Was told by the train manager that this is a known fault with these new trains.

Will be avoiding LNER Azuma train services for the time being.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Had this problem today on an LNER Azuma going to Kings Cross. My Apple iPad went haywire with the keypad inserting untapped letters,etc. when it was charging. Not an issue when I unplugged it. Trouble was that my battery was low. Was told by the train manager that this is a known fault with these new trains.

Will be avoiding LNER Azuma train services for the time being.

It’s not a fault with the train. If anything it’s a design fault with the iPad. I had the same in the office today.

Status
Not open for further replies.