• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ipswich docks branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebassman

Why was the old Ipswich docks branch track bed fenced off when they lifted the tracks? When I first moved to Suffolk in 2005 you could walk onto the old tracks and the lower yard with buffer stops (though I never did this myself) but now the Ranleigh road end has a green fence across it and the Stoke Road side past the skate park has a locked gate. Plus where there is a small section of track still remaining under under Prince's Street it has been fenced off on both sides.
I know someone I went to college with said he used to hang around the old yard and there was a lot of drug dealers there so I don't know if that had anything to do with it plus I remember reading about someone threatening to jump off the bridge?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Network Rail's general policy of enclosing its land to prevent trespass; and to prevent being sued should any trespassers injure themselves.

chubs

Why was the old Ipswich docks branch track bed fenced off when they lifted the tracks? When I first moved to Suffolk in 2005 you could walk onto the old tracks and the lower yard with buffer stops

I think your second sentence answers the question in your first sentence!

superjohn

There have been several schemes for redevelopment of the lower yard area over the years. At one point around 2012 Tesco wanted to build a superstore and there have been various other plans for retail and residential since. A few years ago one plan looked particularly promising and Network Rail put up the fencing and cleared the lower yard of vegetation (and the upturned portakabin that had found its way there!). Nothing has happened since but the river area has seen a lot of other development so it seems only a matter of time.

joebassman

There have been several schemes for redevelopment of the lower yard area over the years. At one point around 2012 Tesco wanted to build a superstore and there have been various other plans for retail and residential since. A few years ago one plan looked particularly promising and Network Rail put up the fencing and cleared the lower yard of vegetation (and the upturned portakabin that had found its way there!). Nothing has happened since but the river area has seen a lot of other development so it seems only a matter of time.

How many stores do tesco's want in Ipswich lol. They already have Copdock and Martlesham plus an express store on Norwich road

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.