• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ipswich - Glasgow this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick W

Established Member
Hi guys,

Looking into travelling from Ipswich to Glasgow on Friday and back on Sunday. Sadly cannot give more information at this point. Just looking for tips.

I have a YP railcard. I'm also willing for the advice to involve megabus and/or flying wherever necessary.

Many Thanks,

Nick

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Megabus is £16 each way (+booking fees +boredom factor) and takes an entire day just from London.

The SVR via London is £85.65, and that's what I'd recommend as splitting isn't going to help for such a journey. It's pointless to avoid London on the tedious route that averages roughly the speed of a milk float to save £3.15 unless you want to travel at peak time as the SVR "Not London" is unrestricted. If you want to go at peak time then a way round the peak restrictions on the GEML is to buy from a station inside the Network Area as this is unrestricted between the origin and Liverpool Street and return and only restricted between London & Glasgow. However if you go on Virgin then you can use any train on that route.

However you know the best ticket to get, Nick. Just think of those trains that look like Class 150s but have Thumper engines. A trip there would be nice, and cheaper ;) That's all I'm saying! If you can't figure it out, PM me!

thefab444

Established Member
However you know the best ticket to get, Nick. Just think of those trains that look like Class 150s but have Thumper engines. A trip there would be nice, and cheaper ;) That's all I'm saying! If you can't figure it out, PM me!

Should save £25 if I'm looking at the right ticket! :o

Nick W

Established Member
Cheers, I'd forgotten about that actually! Might do that one way and bus other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.