• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ipswich - Luton

Status
Not open for further replies.

1vincent

Hello all.

I am going to a wedding in Ipswich on 29/08/09 and the i will be going home to Luton on Sunday 30/08/09.
I need to get from Ipswich to Luton and have tried NXEA and they want nearly £39 one way. I can go from Ipswich to Hitchin via Cambridge for £12. I then have to get a bus/coach to Luton which is about 15 miles away.
There will be 2 adults going and we dont have any railcards.
Any help or advice will be very handy.
Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
Due to engineering works, Stratford-Liverpool St is shut on that day, and the replacement timetable hasn't been issued yet, and hence there are no advance fares available. The fares you have quoted are all walk up fares, which you can buy on the day at the station so my advice would be to keep checking for advance fares to come up. For referance, the cheapest advance fare from Ipswich to Luton is £17, including the cross London transfer. You should book these tickets as soon as they become available, but do note that you must travel on the booked train, advance tickets are non refundable and any changes incur a £10 administration fee.

1vincent

Thank you for the reply.

I sent NXEA an email about what you said and they told me that they will not be any advanced fares for that date and that on that date most of the railway from Ipswich will have work being done on it and i will more than likely have to get replacement bus all the way to London.
I have been checking the website for trains that day and they give you times and all that but dont tell you that there is engineering works going on when you book.
Thank you.

stut

Established Member
You have to love the logic.

"There's engineering works, so we won't offer advance fares, to discourage people from travelling."

The impact: those who have to travel not only get put on a bus and have their journey time doubled, they have to pay extra for the privilege.

FWIW, the National Express coach service from Ipswich isn't bad. And is a lot cheaper. If you're going to be on a bus anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.