• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ipswich - Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperOwl86

Right i dont know if this is me or just the internet playing tricks but anyway i am heading back to Sheffield on Sunday and have hit a wall.

I have looked on National rail website and it has a 15.44 Ipswich to Norwich changing onto the 16.53 direct to Sheffield, this is all well and good I have gone onto East Midlands trains website to book and the above option is not there. I only get two choices of a 15.02 which is bit to early or a 17.55 and nothing else.

So I thought I would have look on East Coast which has more options but like EMT does not have the 15.44 instead it has a 15.43 into London.

What options do I really have for this Sunday as I am slighly lost with the different options?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Do you have to go via Norwich?

I expect that to be an error on the National Rail site. Ipswich - Sheffield is not valid via Norwich. You need two tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have looked on National rail website and it has a 15.44 Ipswich to Norwich changing onto the 16.53 direct to Sheffield
Yes, that's right.
this is all well and good I have gone onto East Midlands trains website to book and the above option is not there. I only get two choices of a 15.02 which is bit to early or a 17.55 and nothing else.
National Rail Enquiries shows this journey as requiring 2 tickets:

Tickets Price
Single Fare
1 x Adult - Advance £31.00
1 x Adult - Anytime Day Single £4.10
Total £35.10

You need to buy multiple tickets for this journey

It is sometimes cheaper to "split" the journey into a combination of tickets. This is allowed by Condition 19 of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

The ticket booking sites will not split the journey into multiple tickets for you, but the National Rail site sometimes suggests it.

So I thought I would have look on East Coast which has more options but like EMT does not have the 15.44 instead it has a 15.43 into London.

What options do I really have for this Sunday as I am slighly lost with the different options?
If you "split" your journey into a combination of tickets, you have the option of the itineraries and prices shown on National Rail Enquiries.

If you want one ticket, then that limits your options, and may increase the price.

In this case you have to "split" at Norwich.

The "buy" option on the National Rail website re-directs you to a booking site of your choice, however I get an error when using this so in order to buy 2 tickets, you need to do 2 separate searches on a booking website (IPS-NRW then NRW-SHF), add each ticket to your basket, you can still pay as one transaction.

You have the same rights as you would with just one ticket, see 'Advance Fares FAQs' as mentioned in other threads.

SuperOwl86

Thanks for all the help people it now makes sense why I was getting confused.

If you want one ticket, then that limits your options, and may increase the price.

Wish that was the case but it reduces the price using one ticket. When I looked last night it as I said came up with the 15.43 via London for £29 down side to this is the bus service which would make the connection into London unreliable.

and looking this morning to Split and go direct would be £51 £8 Ips - Nrw and £43 NRW - SHF.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
When I looked last night it as I said came up with the 15.43 via London for £29 down side to this is the bus service which would make the connection into London unreliable.

I'm not familiar with the bustitution on that route, but in general rail replacement services are scheduled with enough extra time to make them fairly reliable. If you're worried about missing your booked train from London, then there's no need as you would be allowed to get the next train run by the same company if you were delayed on the IPS-London leg.

SuperOwl86

Would that also be the same if their was any problems on the underground? and this with a advanced ticket?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Would that also be the same if their was any problems on the underground? and this with a advanced ticket?

You're covered if you begin your journey with a rail ticket - so Advance tickets involving a London transfer, or Advance tickets with origin "London U12" (for example) are covered.

If you start your journey in London on a Tube only ticket (e.g. Oyster PAYG) and you're delayed, then you're not covered in the event of a delay on the Tube (if you have a Travelcard, though, you are since a Travelcard includes rail travel).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you start your journey in London on a Tube only ticket (e.g. Oyster PAYG) and you're delayed, then you're not covered in the event of a delay on the Tube (if you have a Travelcard, though, you are since a Travelcard includes rail travel).

Slight thread hijack but if I were to say hold a Zone12 travelcard and a [stn]KGX[/stn]-[stn]DAR[/stn] advance if on my way to KGX I was delayed due to disruption on the tube and missed my train I would be covered even though my actual rail ticket starts from Kings Cross?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Slight thread hijack but if I were to say hold a Zone12 travelcard and a [stn]KGX[/stn]-[stn]DAR[/stn] advance if on my way to KGX I was delayed due to disruption on the tube and missed my train I would be covered even though my actual rail ticket starts from Kings Cross?

The original discussion and official Advance fares FAQ is in this thread.

Having re-read Q22 (relevant to your question), the answer would possibly be no - the All Zones Travelcard is specifically mentioned. However, it is supposed to include "rail and partner" tickets: whether a Z1-2 Travelcard is deemed to be mainly a "partner and rail" ticket whereas a Z1-6 is a "rail and partner", or otherwise, I don't know.

It doesn't seem reasonable that a Z1-2 Travelcard would be excluded; you could for instance have travelled directly into KGX from Finsbury Park by rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.