• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ireland - Info Request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

03_179

Established Member
LOL ...

It's like the UK.

Sectional appendix.
Old Miles and chains books.
Rail Mileage Engine
GBTT

All slightly different :lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
LOL ...

It's like the UK.

Sectional appendix.
Old Miles and chains books.
Rail Mileage Engine
GBTT

All slightly different :lol:

I know, more similarities than just the signalling!

Also why is there two entries for the same origin/destination?
View attachment 61056

They lay it out as distances over which each speed restriction applies. The first entry is a 90 limit, then there's a 100 section.

03_179

Established Member
Thanks ... So the station could be at any point in that area ... how strange ..

If you’re Railway staff (whether safeguarded or not) you can apply for a FIP coupon which will give you 8 days free travel on Irish Rail

16 days per year, or actually 32 if you count both your CIE and NIR coupon entitlements. Why not go out and back the traditional way by rail / ferry too if you have the time with Stena -(also free, you just pay the GBP5 foot pax port tax) through Fishguard, Holyhead or Cairnryan -(involves a bus now sadly..).
All highly recommended, as is The Gate Hotel, just of O'Connell Street in Dublin. Be warned, don't crash here if you want to sleep though! It's a party place with three bars, a club and hotel all in one. Great place to base your self for a few days of bashing out of Dublin with good craic and Guinness on a Friday/Saturday night and does a grand Full Irish in the morning too if your even around then!

https://www.booking.com/searchresul..._source=bing&utm_term=kmodN59pirBrwms34xanEA&

03_179

Established Member
Good news and bad news.

Good news first:
I have an old book (not the little A6 sized ones but a larger than A5 one with red cover) I had on the shelf and in it it has a lot of CIE and NIR mileages :)

Bad News:
Said to SWMBO yesterday about how good it'd be for us to go and where did she want to go again (She previously stated she'd like to go one day) and she replied "Not somewhere I've thought of going" ... :frown::frown:
Yet again a decent trip thwarted by her!

radamfi

Established Member
Bad News:
Said to SWMBO yesterday about how good it'd be for us to go and where did she want to go again (She previously stated she'd like to go one day) and she replied "Not somewhere I've thought of going" ... :frown::frown:
Yet again a decent trip thwarted by her!

Go by yourself then.

Established Member
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am looking to go out to the RoI in a couple of weeks, and have a few questions.

Does anyone know if the Loco Hauled sets have set diagrams or is it a hope for the best type situation?

Is there anywhere that people would recommend making a special stop off for? (I've done Dublin, Cork and Cobh so far)

If anyone has any tips for scratching as many locos in as possible over a few days or some interesting unusual lines etc then I am all ears!

Thanks, In advance.

Polarbear

Established Member
Just to add that I had a couple of days over there last weekend & travelled on the 15:25 Cork-Dublin service on Saturday, which was a Mk4 set. The diagrams show that to normally be an ICR working so it looks like I dropped lucky.

Although the ICR's are OK, I don't personally feel they're adequate for the Dublin-Cork run.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Just to add that I had a couple of days over there last weekend & travelled on the 15:25 Cork-Dublin service on Saturday, which was a Mk4 set. The diagrams show that to normally be an ICR working so it looks like I dropped lucky.

Although the ICR's are OK, I don't personally feel they're adequate for the Dublin-Cork run.

I've just checked, and it seems to be booked Mk4 now. I think I'll have to recheck the diagrams.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I've been through everything and that's the only change. The 1525 ex-Cork is now Mk4 on Saturdays only.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks for doing the research. I much prefer the Mk4’s to the ICR’s personally.

I've never yet been to Ireland myself actually, but I've been fascinated by their railways first years.

Regarding the Mk4s though, I hear mixed things, they ride poorer than ICRs apparently and certainly like our Mk4s they had to have remedial work done to get the ride to an acceptable level when the first entered service, IÉ even admitted it would never be up to the standards of a Mk3.

The ICRs have the advantage of far more table seats in Standard and near perfect seat-to-window alignment, the Mk4s have the advantage of being quieter and have greater capacity of course.

If your on Facebook there is an enthusiasts group called Irish Railways past and present.
I believe the Waterford to Limerick Junction line and the Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy line still has semaphore signalling.
Personally I think the Dublin to Rosslare line is most scenic
Martin

Mechanical signalling still in operation at Roscrea and Birdhill.

Con

DART does not go to Maynooth, the line from Dublin to Maynooth is a standard commuter line that is run by a mixture of mostly 29000 class commuter DMUs and 22000 class Intercity DMUs which are not suited to that line at all.

Enthusiast forums:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/irnirishrailwaynews/
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1499

IRN is factual, and posted on by railway supporters. Not much action on it though. T&RS has frequent posts and has railway supporters on it, but they often have to fight a rearguard action against reductive supporters of private buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.