• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ireland trip advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You're most welcome. Glad to help.

That is a bit tricky this time of year. Even when I rode (later in the year) I had some bits at night.

At Sligo the railway station is at the top of a small hill and the bus station is at the bottom of the station driveway, which provides good connectivity. Also worth walking into town, which is not far.

As others have posted Manualla Junction is a bit of an odd bird. I departed Dublin under sunny skies, which turned overcast during my connection in Sligo and started to rain while on the bus to Ballina. The dash from Ballina bus station to Ballina railway station was under pouring rain, but I made the connection. However, my connection was a bit longer than what is currently on offer.

The cross platform connection at Manulla Junction could have benefited from a station canopy, but that's OK. I'll dry off.

The tricky bit was how to cover the branch to Wesport (which is a nice place to explore) without consuming too much time? My solution was to stay at the very nice Sheraton in Athlone for two non consecutive nights which also allowed me to store my bag there for my overnight in Cork. Sheraton staff were nice enough to book me into the same suite both nights. Then on the morning of my second stay, I covered the Westport trackage before returning to Dublin. Less efficient than I wanted because of the doubling back, but the Irish Rail DMUs were quite comfortable and well maintained.
Yes, that's essentially what I've found. The itinerary I've worked out below more or less covers all lines (that I haven't already done) during daylight hours, except Westport-Athlone and the Cork commuter lines. Oh well, I'll have to come back anyway to do the various branches around Dublin (Phoenix Park line, M3 Parkway, Howth) as well as the Luas.

Also, does anyone know what the best way is of getting from Heuston station to the airport and to the ferry terminal? Just trying to work out what flights/ferries I can consider.

Wed:
0833 Great Victoria Street-0915 Bangor
0925 Bangor-0957 Lanyon Place
1020 Lanyon Place-1141 Coleraine
1145 Coleraine-1157 Portrush
1302 Portrush-1314 Coleraine
1343 Coleraine-1422 Derry
1538 Derry-1739 Lanyon Place
1805 Lanyon Place-2015 Connolly

Thu:
0905 Connolly-1217 Sligo
1334 Sligo-1504 Ballina (458 bus)
1700 Ballina-1727 Manulla Jn
1733 Manulla Jn-1756 Westport
1820 Westport-2136 Heuston

Fri:
0900 Heuston-0959 Ballybrophy
1008 Ballybrophy-1207 Limerick
1255 Limerick-1323 Limerick Jn
1432 Limerick Jn-1506 Mallow
1525 Mallow-1658 Tralee
1705 Tralee-1905 Cork
1915 Cork-1938 Midleton
1945 Midleton-1955 Glounthaune
2011 Glounthaune-2026 Cobh
2030 Cobh-2055 Cork

Sat:
0800 Cork-0821 Mallow
0843 Mallow-0918 Limerick Jn
0940 Limerick Jn-1125 Waterford
1305 Waterford-1445 Kildare
1559 Kildare-1610 Portarlington
1617 Portarlington-1759 Galway
1810 Galway-1940 Athlone
2012 Athlone-2136 Heuston

Sun:
1000 Heuston-1137 Limerick Jn
1142 Limerick Jn-1203 Limerick
1210 Limerick-1423 Galway
1505 Galway-1737 Heuston

Any improvement suggestions to that appreciated :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Once I got to Ballina station, I would mention to someone that I was catching the connection at Manulla to Westport. I doubt they get many people making that connection.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Once I got to Ballina station, I would mention to someone that I was catching the connection at Manulla to Westport. I doubt they get many people making that connection.
That's actually the only connection it offers (the next train at Manulla Jn isn't for another hour). Though I suspect the 1700 runs more as a glorified ECS so as to form the 1733 connection to Ballina, off the Heuston train.

Gloster

Established Member
That's actually the only connection it offers (the next train at Manulla Jn isn't for another hour). Though I suspect the 1700 runs more as a glorified ECS so as to form the 1733 connection to Ballina, off the Heuston train.
That was what I was thinking. If they didn’t notice you and didn’t expect anybody at Foxford, they might not be that worried about running on time. (I am not denigrating the attitude of the Irish: this could happen on any branch line a long way from head office.)

Brooke

Also, does anyone know what the best way is of getting from Heuston station to the airport and to the ferry terminal? Just trying to work out what flights/ferries I can consider
I do Heuston to airport occasionally.
Honestly I tend to just take a taxi, as there is no fast route by public transport. It takes about 25-30 mins by taxi (so allow say 40 mins worst case) and costs about EUR 30.

I believe the best option by public transport is Luas down the quays to O Connell Street / Custom House vicinity and then one of the various airport buses from there. You’d need to allow 90 mins I’d say for that. Others on here will know which services are currently running better than me.

Dublin airport security waiting times seem quite variable at the moment - I’ve sailed thru in 5 mins, but equally been waiting 20 mins either. You can buy Fast Track, but only up to two hours before departure.

For the ferries: there was a post on here recently about changes to the ferry buses. See here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/stena-line-dublin-new-bus-service.224680/

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I do Heuston to airport occasionally.
Honestly I tend to just take a taxi, as there is no fast route by public transport. It takes about 25-30 mins by taxi (so allow say 40 mins worst case) and costs about EUR 30.

I believe the best option by public transport is Luas down the quays to O Connell Street / Custom House vicinity and then one of the various airport buses from there. You’d need to allow 90 mins I’d say for that. Others on here will know which services are currently running better than me.

Dublin airport security waiting times seem quite variable at the moment - I’ve sailed thru in 5 mins, but equally been waiting 20 mins either. You can buy Fast Track, but only up to two hours before departure.

For the ferries: there was a post on here recently about changes to the ferry buses. See here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/stena-line-dublin-new-bus-service.224680/
Thanks - I presume the standard 2 hours in advance of the flight would be advisable if flying? Or less as it is a domestic flight?

danm14

Thanks - I presume the standard 2 hours in advance of the flight would be advisable if flying? Or less as it is a domestic flight?
As far as I know (no personal experience as I have a crippling fear of flight) Ireland treats flights to/from the UK as international flights, whereas the UK treats flights to/from Ireland as domestic flights.

Brooke

As far as I know (no personal experience as I have a crippling fear of flight) Ireland treats flights to/from the UK as international flights, whereas the UK treats flights to/from Ireland as domestic flights.
Yeah, that’s about right. I tend to turn up at Dublin airport about an hour before the plane’s departure time if no bag to drop, but then I’m travelling constantly…

Realistically you may want to leave 90-120 mins. Particularly at T1 the bar does a good pint so it’s no real hardship to be a bit early.

Watch out that Ryanair’s gates are quite a walk from the T1 security area if you’re flying with them.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just in terms of fares, I'm covered as I have FIP coupons, however I will be travelling with a friend who has an FIP discount card but no coupons.

Does anyone know what the best combination of fares would be for a journey such as this?

For the Northern Irish legs, I would imagine that buying individual FIP discounted tickets isn't worthwhile and that an iLink day ticket is easier?

How about for the Enterprise and then subsequently the days in the Republic? I've seen there is a 4 day Trekker ticket for €110 covering all Irish Rail trains.

I imagine there is no FIP discount available for this, but that it is still cheaper than buying individual tickets for each leg (as I understand split ticketing as well as break of journey is forbidden)?

tony6499

Are there any changes because of the omicron variant to travellers ? Tried to find anything but it's not clear

Elwyn

Are there any changes because of the omicron variant to travellers ? Tried to find anything but it's not clear
No formal restrictions on Common Travel Area journeys as yet, but you will need a Covid passport & suitable photo id (anything with a picture really) in order to go into pubs & restaurants etc in both the Republic and Northern Ireland. Some premises are more meticulous than others but the majority are checking when you arrive, and turning folk away who don’t have one.

danm14

No formal restrictions on Common Travel Area journeys as yet.
This is absolutely incorrect. Only the UK respects the Common Travel Area at present. Ireland ceased to do so when travel restrictions were first introduced in 2020.

Ireland treats Great Britain like any foreign country, although admittedly it is trivial (albeit illegal) to enter via Northern Ireland, as restrictions do not apply to travel from Northern Ireland unless you've been off the island of Ireland in the past 14 days.

There is free travel from the island of Ireland to Great Britain and from Great Britain to Northern Ireland. There is not free travel from Great Britain to the Republic of Ireland at present.

Brooke

This is absolutely incorrect. Only the UK respects the Common Travel Area at present. Ireland ceased to do so when travel restrictions were first introduced in 2020.

Ireland treats Great Britain like any foreign country, although admittedly it is trivial (albeit illegal) to enter via Northern Ireland, as restrictions do not apply to travel from Northern Ireland unless you've been off the island of Ireland in the past 14 days.

There is free travel from the island of Ireland to Great Britain and from Great Britain to Northern Ireland. There is not free travel from Great Britain to the Republic of Ireland at present.
As a regular traveller back and forth between UK and Ireland, I would agree with this view.

The CTA is virtually irrelevant on arrival to Ireland currently (other than technically you can get into the country from UK mainland without a passport eg with a driving licence).

I would strongly urge anyone travelling between the two countries to familiarise with the rules on both governments’ websites and plan in advance for tests, forms etc. And importantly: to check regularly in the run up to travelling, in case the rules change at short notice.

In case not aware, the Irish cabinet will meet on Friday to discuss further potential restrictions.

danm14

I imagine there is no FIP discount available for this, but that it is still cheaper than buying individual tickets for each leg (as I understand split ticketing as well as break of journey is forbidden)?
Both are officially forbidden in Northern Ireland, but split ticketing will never* be cheaper anyway (very simple fare structure, akin to a local bus service), and in practice staff won't care if you break your journey as long as you're not taking the piss. Getting off and dropping back a train at every stop between Belfast and Bangor; and getting off and dropping back a train or two in Belfast on a journey between Londonderry and Newry are two different things.

*Unless you have a very complicated itinerary, e.g. A-B-C-D-A-C-A

Split ticketing is forbidden in the Republic, but only when remaining on the same train - it's okay at interchange points. Break of journey is permitted as long as your ticket wasn't bought online.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Both are officially forbidden in Northern Ireland, but split ticketing will never* be cheaper anyway (very simple fare structure, akin to a local bus service), and in practice staff won't care if you break your journey as long as you're not taking the piss. Getting off and dropping back a train at every stop between Belfast and Bangor; and getting off and dropping back a train or two in Belfast on a journey between Londonderry and Newry are two different things.

*Unless you have a very complicated itinerary, e.g. A-B-C-D-A-C-A

Split ticketing is forbidden in the Republic, but only when remaining on the same train - it's okay at interchange points. Break of journey is permitted as long as your ticket wasn't bought online.
Thanks. In the end I calculated it and it would probably have been about the same for the Northern Ireland part. So just went for the iLink day ticket.

For the journeys in the Republic, what should you "officially" do for itineraries like Friday (Heuston-Ballybrophy-Limerick-Limerick Jn-Mallow-Tralee-Cork) followed by Saturday (Cork-Mallow-Limerick Jn-Waterford-Kildare-Limerick) followed by Sunday (Limerick-Galway-bus-Castlebar-Athlone-Galway)?

Because, for example, if I search Waterford to Limerick on the online journey planner, it comes up with the route via Kildare even though this is far from the shortest route. It's even happy to sell an itinerary via Heuston in some cases (for the same cost!). I'm presuming you couldn't exactly use a random walk-up ticket that way!

Similarly the Irish Rail conditions of carriage seem to say that, with the exception of interavailable routes, tickets are only valid via the most direct route. This would imply that a Heuston-Limerick ticket is only valid via Nenagh, but that seems rather unlikely to say the least!

Elwyn

I think some of the folk responding here are perhaps mixing up Irish immigration law with Covid Health law. Irish law uniquely recognizes the rights of UK citizens to enter without restriction. (No other nationality has that provision in Ireland). Section 1(3) of the UK’s 1971 Immigration Act provides that, with a few exceptions related to national security and criminal activity, Irish citizens are absolutely free to enter the UK without leave. That was the position before the UK joined the EEC on 1.1.1973 and it’s unchanged after our recent departure. The Republic of Ireland reciprocated. Still does.

British Citizens do not need a passport to travel to the Republic of Ireland, nor do they need permission to enter, as far as Irish law is concerned, once they have proved they are a UK citizen. (Other nationals are different).

Quite separately, most airlines now require passports from all passengers of all nationalities for travel to Ireland but that’s a decision they have taken, not one compelled on them by the Irish authorities. Ryanair required passports from domestic passengers travelling from Cork to Dublin. A commercial decision they took. Ferry companies do not require passports and obviously on the land border there are no formal document checks at all.

Next time you arrive in Dublin airport, if you are a UK cit, you can approach the Immigration Officer and say I am a UK citizen. You may be asked to prove that. A variety of documents might suffice. Once you have done it you are free to go. No control beyond establishing your identity and crucially nationality. You don’t need a passport though you’ll find that speeds thing along nicely.

The Republic of Ireland does respect CTA law, and has often made a point of commenting on that. (It suits both jurisdictions and, in my experience, neither wants it abolished).

Covid law is more complex and changes all the time but as we speak, in my personal experience, it is possible to travel from GB to both parts of Ireland without a requirement to be vaccinated let alone isolate etc. The 2020 travel restriction that danm14 refers to are Health restrictions that applied to a wide variety of travellers from all over. Nothing to do with the Common Travel Area though.

And it’s not illegal to enter the Republic via Northern Ireland just now. Poppycock. I do it all the time.

danm14

Quite separately, most airlines now require passports from all passengers of all nationalities for travel to Ireland but that’s a decision they have taken, not one compelled on them by the Irish authorities. Ryanair required passports from domestic passengers travelling from Cork to Dublin. A commercial decision they took. Ferry companies do not require passports and obviously on the land border there are no formal document checks at all.
No airline requires a passport to travel to either jurisdiction in Ireland from Great Britain as a British or Irish citizen other than Ryanair.
And it’s not illegal to enter the Republic via Northern Ireland just now. Poppycock. I do it all the time.
If you do so without either staying in NI for 14 days, or complying with the same Covid restrictions you would to enter directly (namely, at present, completing a Passenger Locator Form and the testing/vaccination requirements) you are in breach of the Health Act 1947 (Section 31A - Temporary Restrictions) (COVID-19) (Restrictions upon travel to the State from Certain States) (No. 5) Regulations 2021 and/or the Health Act 1947 (Section 31A - Temporary Requirements) (COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form) Regulations 2021 and could be subject to a fine of up to €5,000 and imprisonment for up to 6 months for each.

It is very obviously not illegal to enter via Northern Ireland at all.

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
I would be very cautious about making such a trip right now that has a very specific itinerary such as the above.

IÉ are cancelling trains across the network due to driver shortages as a result of staff having to self-isolate due to the current wave of Covid infections. Watch their twitter feed for info.

Bus Éireann are also cancelling services for the same reason - the 458 in particular seems to suffer cancellations a lot lately.

This page (https://buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=364) on the Bus Éireann website will list most cancellations each day, but no more advance notice is given than that.

Heuston to Dublin Airport is now served by Dublin Express. www.dublinexpress.ie

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would be very cautious about making such a trip right now that has a very specific itinerary such as the above.

IÉ are cancelling trains across the network due to driver shortages as a result of staff having to self-isolate due to the current wave of Covid infections. Watch their twitter feed for info.

Bus Éireann are also cancelling services for the same reason - the 458 in particular seems to suffer cancellations a lot lately.

This page (https://buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=364) on the Bus Éireann website will list most cancellations each day, but no more advance notice is given than that.

Heuston to Dublin Airport is now served by Dublin Express. www.dublinexpress.ie
Thanks. I know I'll have to come again anyway, to finish off the bits I'll be doing in darkness (mostly the Cork local services), plus a few bits I've not done (M3 Parkway, Phoenix Park etc.), But that's ok :)

All Ballybrophy-Limerick services have been cancelled the last few days, which is a particular shame as I know it's liable to be closed due to the low ridership. So that will also go on the list of lines to do next time.

The 458 was fine yesterday - albeit it arrived 15 mins late, so no chance whatsoever of making the +1 :lol:. I whiled away the time in a nice pub, Hogan's.

I have to say, I'm very impressed by the cleanliness and state of the trains and stations. A hell of a lot better than back at home. Even those which haven't been recently refurbished seem to be kept in good nick.

I'll write a full trip report once I have some time after returning.

davetheguard

Established Member
I'll write a full trip report once I have some time after returning.

I'll look forward to seeing that.

It must be ten years since I was last in Ireland, but I've done most of the system with the exception of Manulla Junction to Westport; the mothballed Rosslare to Waterford line; and the re-opened lines to Midleton & M3 Parkway. I've even managed to do the Lisburn to Antrim route once when it was still in regular operation; will it ever re-open, I wonder?

I understand that Key Publishing, the publisher's of Modern Railways, are bringing out a new book about Irish Railways which might be of interest.

Last edited:

Elwyn

I've even managed to do the Lisburn to Antrim route once when it was still regular operation; will it ever re-open, I wonder?
The line is still available for use. It sometimes sees diversions when the main line from Antrim to Belfast is closed for engineering works, the odd Golfing special has used it (for the Open at Portrush) and the RPSI use it sometimes for steam excursions. Translink have offered to provide a public service on it, subject to funding from Stormont.

To re-open to passengers would require a bit of work re-instating the stations, and perhaps new signalling. The 2 passing loops at Crumlin & Ballinderry have been lifted. Possibly one of them might need re-instated.

dubscottie

Split ticketing is permitted on IE but is a bit pointless with the fare structure.
You can split ticket and stay on the same train. Although you will need to move seats on Intercity services if you have reserved one.

danm14

Split ticketing is permitted on IE but is a bit pointless with the fare structure.
You can split ticket and stay on the same train. Although you will need to move seats on Intercity services if you have reserved one.
Incorrect.

Irish Rail Conditions of Carriage, Section 11:
"Except where specially authorised, passengers are not permitted to re-book at an intermediate station for the purpose of continuing their journey by the same train. Two or more tickets covering different portions of one journey are not available unless the fares paid for such tickets are equivalent in amount to the price of a single journey ticket between the same points. Any passenger using two or more tickets covering different portions of one journey will be liable to pay the full ordinary single fare for the journey made and he or she may be liable to prosecution."

dubscottie

Incorrect.

Irish Rail Conditions of Carriage, Section 11:
"Except where specially authorised, passengers are not permitted to re-book at an intermediate station for the purpose of continuing their journey by the same train. Two or more tickets covering different portions of one journey are not available unless the fares paid for such tickets are equivalent in amount to the price of a single journey ticket between the same points. Any passenger using two or more tickets covering different portions of one journey will be liable to pay the full ordinary single fare for the journey made and he or she may be liable to prosecution."
The Irish Rail Conditions of Carriage have not been updated for 15+ years and do not reflect current policy. The above section was written in the days before online tickets and Leap cards.

As I said you can split ticket but it is pointless. You will usually find a point to point online fare cheaper. As long as you have a valid ticket when you board, on the train if/when asked and at your destination, you are fine.

The last part incorrect also. Irish Rail have not (except in extreme cases) prosecuted anyone for "Fare evasion" in years. The offence that will get you a fine or prosecution now is "Failing to produce or offer up a valid ticket".

The CoC are (allegedly) being updated but as it will require a change to the laws etc in the Irish Parliament, it will take time.

duesselmartin

Established Member
..."the trains and stations. A hell of a lot better than back at home. Even those which haven't been recently refurbished seem to be kept in good nick."

I find that UK stations are a lot better than those at home in Germany.
Merry Christmas to all of you.
Martin

davetheguard

Established Member
..."the trains and stations. A hell of a lot better than back at home. Even those which haven't been recently refurbished seem to be kept in good nick."

I find that UK stations are a lot better than those at home in Germany.
Merry Christmas to all of you.
Martin

Frohe Weihnachten aus England, Martin!

Status
Not open for further replies.