• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Irish Republic passenger closure dates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
I wonder why IE never tried an "Ennis" type solution for that line, ie. extending the ICs from Waterford to New Ross. Surely the town has passenger potential?

I suspect there's a number of factors there. The line through Ennis stayed open, albeit freight only, and had regular use so reinstating a passenger service wasn't too great an endeavour. The New Ross branch would have needed money spending on it to get any kind of service up and running again. Ennis is also a much larger town then New Ross, and it's distance from Dublin meant that even with the detour down to Limerick it was still a viable and time effective route to the capital. It's also worth pointing out that Irish Rail did have a very tentative start to Ennis services - it was only 3 days a week at first IIRC.

that is my understanding of the situation also, that the branch had a passenger service until closure, which i think, was in 1959.
Maybe the passenger service was going to stop in 1930 but it got a reprieve?

Somewhere at home I have an article in an IRRS magazine (my membership lapsed, something I've been meaning to rectify for a long time) featuring an interview with a retired driver from Athlone, who's career covered both steam and diesel. In it he discusses being sent away for a few months to work the Ballinrobe branch, and I'm pretty sure it was implied that it was still a passenger service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.