• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Irregular traffic along the Tyne Valley Line question

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
This may seem a strange question but other than the staple Northern Rail passenger services and the joint ScotRail Northern services both with their extensions has there ever been anything other passenger services booked to use the Tyne Valley Line? The main reason that I ask is because around 2002 I think I remember a northbound Virgin Cross Country service that was book to use the line in the evenings and I was wondering if it really did exist or I was thinking of something else.

Also I know that GNER/East Coast e.c.t. use the line for diversions but has Virgin Trains ever used the line for diversions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sarahj

Established Member
Always remember waiting for a train at Haltwhistle many moons ago and watching a 125 go zooming through. This was due to the (not sure of the spelling) Penmashields tunnel collapse north of Berwick when for a while anything from Newcastle to Scotland was diverted.

Not sure of anything else rather than the standard services. Though there used to be some interesting stock in use. Not long after the pacers came in and their gearboxes were found to be lacking. A rush hour service from Newcastle to Carlisle was formed of a 47 and mk2a coaches for a while. (1985).

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I used to live in Newburn and I can't remember Cross Country ever using the route, either regularly or as a diversion.

The only unusual working I can remember from around that time is that ATN booked a 3-car 158 for a Saturday morning Newcastle-Carlisle and return.

Status
Not open for further replies.