Irregular traffic along the Tyne Valley Line question

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by thenorthern, 31 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenorthern

thenorthern Established Member

This may seem a strange question but other than the staple Northern Rail passenger services and the joint ScotRail Northern services both with their extensions has there ever been anything other passenger services booked to use the Tyne Valley Line? The main reason that I ask is because around 2002 I think I remember a northbound Virgin Cross Country service that was book to use the line in the evenings and I was wondering if it really did exist or I was thinking of something else.

Also I know that GNER/East Coast e.c.t. use the line for diversions but has Virgin Trains ever used the line for diversions?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. SeanG

SeanG Member

Its not unfeasable that XC did when in the hands of Virgin

4. sarahj

sarahj Established Member

Always remember waiting for a train at Haltwhistle many moons ago and watching a 125 go zooming through. This was due to the (not sure of the spelling) Penmashields tunnel collapse north of Berwick when for a while anything from Newcastle to Scotland was diverted.

Not sure of anything else rather than the standard services. Though there used to be some interesting stock in use. Not long after the pacers came in and their gearboxes were found to be lacking. A rush hour service from Newcastle to Carlisle was formed of a 47 and mk2a coaches for a while. (1985).

5. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

I used to live in Newburn and I can't remember Cross Country ever using the route, either regularly or as a diversion.

The only unusual working I can remember from around that time is that ATN booked a 3-car 158 for a Saturday morning Newcastle-Carlisle and return.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.