• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is 170424 visible at Stewart's Lane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonC

Hi all. I want to try and get 170424 before it becomes a 171

Does anyone know if the 3 remaining at SL are still visible in the yard from a passing 378 between Clapham Junction and Wandsworth Road? If so then any hints and tips would be appreciated cos its a bit of a maze of brick arches around there.

Thanks in hope
Simon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I travelled that way yesterday and yes, I could see 170s. I didn't count how many there were (I recall seeing at least two) or even if their numbers were visible from that distance though.

SimonC

That was a quick response! Thank you :)

Sounds like it's worth me trying then...just hope I don't see 2 of the 3 and not be able to id them to know if I was successful re 424 or not :(

Anyone else got any gen or confirmation of which ones are where in the yard

Cheers all

SimonC

Yeh, that's why I'm keen to get 424 before she moves too :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yep! all 3 nicely visible. 424 copped. thanks for the info guys

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ae they close enough to be photographable from a passing train? Or are we talking in terms of seeing them within the shed only?

SimonC

Hi Peter
They are visible and photo'able enough through one of the brick arches to see what they are but not their numbers. They are side by side on the south side (behind the Southern green 73). depends if you want a nice art shot or a grabbed shot to record the moment :)

Hope this helps
S

Blaahh

Hi, how do you get to the brick arches please, do you walk from the nearest station? Didnt realise you could see the Southern 73 there!

SimonC

Blaahh,i don't think you can get there by car/foot as its within the depot confines. catch the Overground from Clapham Junction <> Wandsworth Road. it passes slow enough for a quick sight or grabbed photo

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
...and yes indeed - it is possible to photograph them although given that the 378s all seem to have absolutely filthy windows and you only have a couple of seconds in which to get the shot each pass it takes several passes to get a passable image!

The attached is with a rather moderate 55mm zoom, the best I can get - but it shows that it can be done.

So here is the challenge - who can get the best shot from a 378?

Attachments

• 170s at Stewarts Lane.jpg
    170s at Stewarts Lane.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 175

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks, although a much better picture could be had from the line on top of the other viaduct.... pity they axed the XC working between Olympia and Bromely South...

Status
Not open for further replies.