• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is 2months usual for First?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi guys

I applied for a trainee conductors positions with Transpennine Express back on december 18th and it's still showing as awaiting shortlisting. Is this timescale normal for First Group? I've contacted HR and they say there awaiting the recruiting manager to let them know who's made the shortlist. I wouldnt mind but it's a job i really want.

Ta

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
Same for me, I applied on the 7th Dec and still showing 'Awaiting shortlisting'. Which depot did you apply for?

Established Member
One of the HR'rs / horrors is on maternity I believe.

(I'm picturing John Hurt in Alien) <D

Clip

Established Member
Thats not too bad considering First use word recognition in their application forms.. I think I got hit back with a no once within an hour :)

Class377/5

Established Member
Hi guys

I applied for a trainee conductors positions with Transpennine Express back on december 18th and it's still showing as awaiting shortlisting. Is this timescale normal for First Group? I've contacted HR and they say there awaiting the recruiting manager to let them know who's made the shortlist. I wouldnt mind but it's a job i really want.

Ta

Since First went to a central HR group for all recruitment, it feels slower. Even the internal stuff is around the same sort of timescales as you've stated.

Talbot

Hi, last year I applied on the 9th March, did all the application online, took until May before I had an email giving a link for the online test, then another wait to hear if I had passed before finally getting my interview date on 8th of june. It can take a wee while, but always take into account that no news is good news, apparently if your not suitable, you will hear of this much quicker, best of luck.

route101

Established Member
I applied too though being rejected for onboard hospitality assistant i doubt i will get the online test.

GadgetMan

Thats not too bad considering First use word recognition in their application forms.. I think I got hit back with a no once within an hour :)

That explains it. Been wondering how I got rejected when I applied last year. I submitted at around 2 am, and by 5 am the same morning I had a rejection email.

I also noticed that the form uses American spellings when picking up spelling mistakes, so if the systems designed to reject applications automatically with x amount of spelling errors, a candidate could be rejected for words like; Colours (colors), customised (customized) etc.:roll:

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
I think as others have mentioned that if your still in the 'awaiting short-listing' scenario as i am. Then we've possibly made it through the computer sift, & waiting for a real person to go through the applications! I tried to get an answer from First about my two applications, Trainee driver & conductor and got this response:

Dear Matt

Thank you for your email.

We are currently waiting for the results of shortlisting from the line manager, as soon as we have received this we will contact you by email with the outcome of your application.

Unfortunately we do not have time scales on how long the shortlisting takes.

You can check the status of your application by logging back in to your account and selecting application submission history. This will show you the status of any applications you have made.

Kind regards

Resourcing Advisor
FirstGroup Resourcing

I imagine standard stuff from First?

Lattridge

Didn't want to start another thread, so i thought i would post in here.

I've made an application for first capital connect for trainee train driver. I submitted my application in nov, but the closing date was 7th feb.

However, im still showing as awaiting shortlisting. Has anyone been offered an assessment as of yet? Wondering how much longer i am going to have to wait for a decision.

Thanks.

chickpea

Exactly the same position as the above post, can anybody at all shed some light on this issue?

Is no news good news?

Or are we waiting for a dissapointing email?

jscho84233

Guys, I've been in your position. From what I gather on the forum, and from personal experience, railway recruitment moves at an absolute snail's pace, and you will be kept waiting for a long time throughout the process.

I was personally waiting for almost 2 months from the vacancy closing and being offered a place on the assessment centre. This is with First Great Western. Throughout this time, my application was listed as "awaiting shortlisting" on the recruitment website.

I passed the assessments at the end of Jan, and now I'm still waiting to see if they are going to invite me to a DM interview.

So, you will be waiting for a while yet, I'm afraid, unless their vacancies are to start soon. From what I've found out on here, most people take 8 - 12 months from applications closing and job start. So relax, and take the time to thoroughly read through the threads on the forum, particularly the ones that relate to the psychometric testing. They helped me enormously. Get hold of the Group Bourdon test tool, and practice every day!

Very best of luck to both of you, and anyone else that applied!

chickpea

thanks thats very helpful. I'll just sit tight and hope for the best.

Is it just me or was the online application not exactly 'in-depth'....?

chickpea

Haha ok, fair enough. Hope you here back soon, good luck with your interviews.

Lattridge

It doesn't look good then if we haven't heard by now. Im wondering if those that have been selected for assessments have already heard and the rest of us should expect a rejection email in about a months time.
Lol.

Has anyone received an assessment for the ffc trainee driver?

Lattridge

I have just noticed that someone was offered an assessment in jan after applying in dec. i applied in november and i'm still showing as awaiting shortlisting.

Got to love the waiting game.

I've resulted to applying for a position with my current TOC i think at least this way it'll move on quicker

Getting rather frustrated about this vacancy now. surely 6+ months is not normal for Transpennine express. Could the recruiting manager have forgotton about it? I have checked on-line and it says still awaiting shortlisting?

anthony263

Established Member
I still have awaiting shortlisting for some vacancies with first that I applied for at the end of april.

Status
Not open for further replies.