• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a duck allowed in standard class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPM

Established Member
Notwithstanding any rules and regulations, your main problem will be objections from the Gresley Society. :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
^^^Careful now... ;)

Can't believe I forgot to mention this in my post yesterday, but I did carry two (domesticated) fancy rats on board a train a couple of years ago after collecting them from the breeder. They were in a carrier though, and only from Deighton to Huddersfield.

Didn't LNER run pigeon trains at some point, too?

The NRCoC apply equally to LM and VTWC so it doesn't matter whose service would have been used.
of course but the LM stopper brought to mind one of the buses you sometimes see in films where the locals have their chickens and produce with them more so than VTWC services do lol

Three-Nine

Of all the things I expected to reply to in this forum... :)

I have relatives who own a couple of Indian running ducks. They can be a bit noisy, and sometimes flap their wings (I was surprised at first; runners are flightless and I'd just sort of assumed that meant either small or non-existent wings) which have a fair span. They are also equipped with surprisingly sharp claws and their bills can bruise if they're feeling annoyed.

They also like to poop, which might cause consternation if you're sitting close to one. Obviously this is less of a problem in a carrier (which I presume could be covered). Diapers are available. Yes, really. No, don't ask.

They do seem to spend a fair amount of time sleeping, so its quite possible a duck will nod off for the journey anyway.

I've personally seen a cockerel carried (in a carrier) by a passenger onto a train, as well as a shoulder-cat once...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
A number of years ago there was a regular traveler between Reading / Didcot / Oxford who would often have a parrot on his shoulder. Yes, a real live parrot, not a Peter Sellers inflatable one.

6Gman

Established Member
Over the long history of railways in this country I'm sure that most if not all species of animal native to this land (and some that aren't) will have been conveyed or been in a train at some point.

Funnily enough, last night I was reading about Francis Buckland (a 19th century figure) who turned up at St Pancras seeking tickets for himself and his pet monkey. After long consideration and study of the regulations the booking clerk classified the monkey as a dog [for ticketing purposes], at which point Buckland produced a tortoise from his pocket.

"How much for this?"

(brief pause)

"No charge sir. That is an inseck."

:D

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Funnily enough, last night I was reading about Francis Buckland (a 19th century figure) who turned up at St Pancras seeking tickets for himself and his pet monkey. . . .

. . .

"No charge sir. That is an inseck."
There is a Punch cartoon from 1869 telling essentially the same story:- [click to enlarge]
punch cartoon tortoise ticket 1869.jpg

[the caption reads : Railway Porter to Old Lady travelling with a Menagerie of Pets. "Station Master say, Mum, as Cats is 'Dogs', and Rabbits is 'Dogs', and so's Parrots; but this 'ere 'Tortus' is a Insuct, so there ain't no charge for it!" ]

Last edited:

superalbs

Established Member
I think there's probably some jokes about birds here, but they're all going over my head. :lol:

silverfoxcc

Notwithstanding any rules and regulations, your main problem will be objections from the Gresley Society. :lol:

You beat me to it,
Of course they would be lead by one of the Godfrey Brothers
..alledgedly;)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Back in the 1970s I regularly transported two young cats from Sittingbourne (Kent) to Preston (the Lancashire one, rather than the Kent one) and return. I can only recollect one journey: one of the cats made an escape bid on the underground platform at Victoria in the evening peak. A kind fellow traveller helped me retrieve said animal and I then sat on the cats' wicker basket all the way to Euston. My wife, who was waiting for me on the concourse at Euston main line swore she could hear our cats yowling a full minute before we ascended the escalator to the concourse! Despite that, we successfully travelled with them a few more times over the years. Oh, to be young and foolish (rather than old and foolish like now).

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
There was a reindeer who used to travel on First Capital Connect class 313.

lazydragon

Hoi think hoi sin something similar once before, but not sure if it was another type of bird. Saw plenty of chickens on the train when I was traveling in Asia.

QueensCurve

Established Member
My neighbours duck has outgrown her back garden, a friend who said he would keep it in a huge garden in weighbridge Would have taken it if he could get a friend to pick him up. He couldn't.

He caught the 1628 from Stoke to Euston, could he have taken the duck on the train?

Doesn't Michael Gove go First?

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Something I've wondered for a while...

The North Norfolk Railway markets itself as The Poppy Line.

Similarly, the Mid-Hants is The Watercress Line.

So when is the Nene Valley going to become The Hawaiian Goose Line? :)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Is it only me who expected a fearful discussion between Annie and Clarabel around Duck's latest escapade?

Status
Not open for further replies.