• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a family & friends railcard valid if you only have adult tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnny Lewis

I'm sure this will have been posted elsewhere, but it IS perfectly legitimate to buy a child ticket using the railcard even if the only child is under 5 years old (for whom a ticket would not usually be required). In this scenario, up to 4 adult tickets can then be bought with the child ticket.

34D

Established Member
I'm sure this will have been posted elsewhere, but it IS perfectly legitimate to buy a child ticket using the railcard even if the only child is under 5 years old (for whom a ticket would not usually be required). In this scenario, up to 4 adult tickets can then be bought with the child ticket.

There must actually be a child though, not just a child ticket.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I see a business opportunity here whereby a trustworthy adult with an F & F Railcard who is experienced in looking after children can offer to take them off the hands of demented parents for the day during the summer and travel to far flung parts of the railway network. This could cost the parents a lot less than the normal childcare rates. :D

Flamingo

Established Member
Social services take a dim view of you hiring your children out to strangers by the day so they can get cheaper train tickets - I did look into it!

My favourite "Two adults, no child" scenario was the pair (looked like mother and daughter) going from West Wales to Pad, child ticket, no child, "He's sick". So I explain they have to have a child with them, they should have borrowed someone elses, and start working out the excess (I know, it should have been a new ticket, but...).

Gobby teen says "You're horrible, you don't care that my brother might be dying in his bed at home", to which I reply "Well obviously neither do you, or you wouldn't be off to London for the weekend..."

Flamingo

Established Member
At that stage, they were the 5th or 6th in a few weeks, all from West Wales, all clutching a child ticket as well, all the children were "sick at home in bed"...

Some epidemic!

Established Member
I'd be tempted to get BTP along in that case, either to get them bang to rights or just put the sh***ers up them.

Flamingo

Established Member
You've never worked with BTP, have you? In my experience, they will only take someone seriously if they a. have something outstanding already or b. they haul off at the BTP officers (as opposed to the traincrew). Otherwise, they aren't interested in ticketing issues, just in getting the problem off their patch with the minimum of paperwork.

Established Member
Must be differences across the country - the ones up here seem to have 'fun' helping staff out for ticketing offences like this, half the time it makes a change from dealing with the drunks.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
At that stage, they were the 5th or 6th in a few weeks, all from West Wales, all clutching a child ticket as well, all the children were "sick at home in bed"...

Some epidemic!

Yes, I have had quite a few sick children recently. I had a couple going from Newcastle to South Wales with mega cheap Advance fares last week (about £27 with FAM discount), but the child couldn't come as he was "taken ill at home at the last minute.". Strangely this sudden illness didn't stop the adults going away for a long weekend (their return tickets were for about 5 days later).

I always find it amazing how many children become sick on the morning of a train journey.

Must be differences across the country - the ones up here seem to have 'fun' helping staff out for ticketing offences like this, half the time it makes a change from dealing with the drunks.

Agreed, BTP round my neck of the woods aren't too bad generally speaking.

Lampshade

Established Member
What if they buy a child ticket in addition to their own, but the child is conveniently "in the toilet" when the ticket check happens? ;)

mattyb1405

Also if you buy in advance for 1 year old etc a very good way of getting access / reserving a seat together for all in the party - additionally thereby also helps with some of the bagage you sometimes need taking younger - babies / toddlers away ! ! We did it last year from Birmingham International - Porthmadog - great relaxing way to go and probably not much longer than driving (I say great - until one of the two carriages were taken off at Shrewsbury and seat reservations became irrelevant!)

Established Member
Where's the child?
Oh he's in the toilet.
Does he have a t-key?
Why?
Well I've locked it out after it ran out of water.
.....load of abuse follows....

On arrival at Hull, customer left train in handcuffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.