• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a photograph required to buy a senior railcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniffingmoose

This seems a basic question but I was looking at the application for the Senior Railcard and I cannot find any mention of needing a photograph. Is that true? I have photographs on the Two Together Railcard so why not on the Senior Railcard? Am I missing something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jmh59

It looks like the senior one only needs proof of age - no mention of a photo in the online docs either.

At a very quick guess its because the '2 together' must always be the same 2 people so perhaps visual identification is needed? That's only a maybe - the 16-25 railcard has a photo.

district

No photo required on Senior railcards, with the expection of those bought through the Railcard app.

Western Sunset

Established Member
They check your age either through your passport or driving licence (or count the grey hairs.....)

There's just your title, initial and surname put onto the railcard.

AM9

Veteran Member
No photo required on Senior railcards, with the expection of those bought through the Railcard app.
By "Railcard App", do you mean the online one or an Android/iOS one. I get mine online and have never been asked for my picture.

district

I mean the app, as in the downloadable software you can download to your phone to purchase and then display the railcard, not the online web service where you can purchase a physical plastic railcard which is then sent to you by post.

Sniffingmoose

Thanks for your help everybody. I am really surprised that no photograph is required. Anyway my wife managed to purchase the senior railcard yesterday without needing a photo .

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Thanks for your help everybody. I am really surprised that no photograph is required. Anyway my wife managed to purchase the senior railcard yesterday without needing a photo .

For what it's worth, the Network Railcard doesn't require a photo either (again, with the exception of the app-based Digital Railcard version).

island

Veteran Member
The requirement for a photo is the exception rather than the rule, if we look across the full family of Railcards.

Status
Not open for further replies.