• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a ticket to all london terminals valid on the tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not in that case, no.

A ticket to "Zone U1 London" is valid.

PeterC

Established Member
Not in the sense that you mean
There are some limited easements for tube use but as a rule of thumb it means the terminals that can be sensibly reached by National Rail services from your starting point.

I don't know about HS1 vailidity.

westv

Established Member
It would be nice though if a ticket to London terminals did offer onward travel to any other London terminal for no extra cost but that's never going to happen.

PeterC

Established Member
It would be nice though if a ticket to London terminals did offer onward travel to any other London terminal for no extra cost but that's never going to happen.
TfL would, quite rightly, want their cut then which would effectively mean abolishing London Terminals as a destination and selling a Zone U1 instead.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

A ticket to ‘Zone U12 London’ allows this.

If a ticket to ‘London Terminals’ allowed cross-London travel there would be a revenue loss as sales of the ‘Zone U12 London’ and Travelcard tickets would fall. Alternatively the price of a ‘London Terminals’ ticket could be increased and the validity increased but there would be an outcry from people who would be forced to pay for validity they don’t require.

cuccir

Established Member
I've never quite understood why it's not possible to buy a ticket to a specific Central London station - even if what you're sold is just priced the same as a London + Zone 1 ticket. I think it would be more intuitive to many people if they could buy a ticket to 'Victoria' or 'Euston' or whatever.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've never quite understood why it's not possible to buy a ticket to a specific Central London station - even if what you're sold is just priced the same as a London + Zone 1 ticket. I think it would be more intuitive to many people if they could buy a ticket to 'Victoria' or 'Euston' or whatever.

Be a load more ticket combinations in the already complicated database.

I do think there should be a better name than ‘Zone U12 London’. Maybe something like ‘London Terminals plus single journey to Zone 1 Underground’ although that’s probably too many characters to fit.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Be a load more ticket combinations in the already complicated database.

I do think there should be a better name than ‘Zone U12 London’. Maybe something like ‘London Terminals plus single journey to Zone 1 Underground’ although that’s probably too many characters to fit.

I've suggested before a destination of "Central London" sold from National Rail origins outside the zones, validity basically as per Zone U1. Could also replace "London Thameslink", and possibly pre-empt the future problem of people trying to get to Paddington or Liverpool St from the opposite side of London using Crossrail with ordinary London Terminals validity...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some ticket machines issue the ticket as to (for example) 'London Undergrnd Zones 1-2.'

westv

Established Member
A ticket to ‘Zone U12 London’ allows this.

If a ticket to ‘London Terminals’ allowed cross-London travel there would be a revenue loss as sales of the ‘Zone U12 London’ and Travelcard tickets would fall. Alternatively the price of a ‘London Terminals’ ticket could be increased and the validity increased but there would be an outcry from people who would be forced to pay for validity they don’t require.

I did say "at no extra cost" and "that's never going to happen"

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
if I go to Blackfriars can I take the train to kings cross

It depends on what ticket you hold.

Generally the answer’s no if you hold a ticket from the south to ‘London Terminals’. The furthest you’ll probably be able to go is City Thameslink.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
for example from Victoria to kings cross
Sadly usually London Terminals means the first one you come to by National Rail and that is - with a few exceptions.

Technically you could do this by travelling from East Croydon to St Pancras on Thameslink and then walking to Kings Cross. You can pretty much get to whatever terminal you like if you don't mind a roundabout route which takes more time. Euston and St Pancras can be walked between. If you wanted Waterloo you could walk from Blackfriars. If coming from the south you could travel from Clapham Junction to Watford and then change for Euston. There are lots of ways.

But that is North to South. As for East to West/South/North, Crossrail will allow people to get to other London Terminals. For example people from and between Paddington and Liverpool Street could change at Farringdon. I guess this is an alternative solution if you want to avoid the Tube because you don't like crowds, don't want to pay, feel scared or aren't confident using it.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Technically you could do this by travelling from East Croydon to St Pancras on Thameslink and then walking to Kings Cross. You can pretty much get to whatever terminal you like if you don't mind a roundabout route which takes more time. Euston and St Pancras can be walked between. If you wanted Waterloo you could walk from Blackfriars. If coming from the south you could travel from Clapham Junction to Watford and then change for Euston. There are lots of ways.

A ticket to ‘London Terminals’ from the south is not valid to St Pancras (the exception being tickets valid into STP via HS1). You can’t travel beyond City Thameslink if coming from the south.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Sadly usually London Terminals means the first one you come to by National Rail and that is - with a few exceptions.

But that is North to South. As for East to West/South/North, Crossrail will allow people to get to other London Terminals. For example people from and between Paddington and Liverpool Street could change at Farringdon. I guess this is an alternative solution if you want to avoid the Tube because you don't like crowds, don't want to pay, feel scared or aren't confident using it.
A London Terminals ticket is not valid to/from/via Farringdon on Thameslink core with the only exception being HS1 tickets routed Plus High Speed or equivalent.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Ahh yes of course. Buying to London Thameslink and then walking to another terminal instead then. I suppose apart from walking there are not many choices

BluePenguin

On Moderation
A ticket to ‘London Terminals’ from the south is not valid to St Pancras (the exception being tickets valid into STP via HS1). You can’t travel beyond City Thameslink if coming from the south.

It is a shame. It is good that the people who travel on HS1 and pay extra to get to St Pancras have the option of going back down South at no extra cost.

I am curious, is there a "London Thameslink" equivalant if you are coming from the south and want to travel through the Thameslink core?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It is a shame. It is good that the people who travel on HS1 and pay extra to get to St Pancras have the option of going back down South at no extra cost.

I am curious, is there a "London Thameslink" equivalant if you are coming from the south and want to travel through the Thameslink core?

No.

Some southern stations have fares to named stations on Thameslink core, usually with no premium. There is no London Thameslink equivalent from south of the river.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

You can’t arrive at St Pancras using HS1 and go ‘back south’ with a London Terminals ticket unless it is a season ticket.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
You can’t arrive at St Pancras using HS1 and go ‘back south’ with a London Terminals ticket unless it is a season ticket.
How and why not? Mojo said that travel to Farringdon is allowed which is going back down

alistairlees

Established Member

I don't think that's quite true.

National Rail website states:

"Customers with London Terminals tickets routes "Plus High Speed" are also permitted to travel in either direction on Thameslink services between London St Pancras International and Farringdon, City Thameslink, London Blackfriars, Elephant & Castle, London Bridge."

See http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46587.aspx#terminals

Unless you meant something else?

Apart from this exception, and the interavailable exception for National Rail tickets from West Hampstead Thameslink or Kentish Town to Thameslink group stations, and fares from (e.g.) Brighton to Farringdon, I don't think there are any other National Rail point to point tickets valid to / from Farringdon. Obviously you can pass through Farringdon with a cross-London ticket.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't think that's quite true.

National Rail website states:

"Customers with London Terminals tickets routes "Plus High Speed" are also permitted to travel in either direction on Thameslink services between London St Pancras International and Farringdon, City Thameslink, London Blackfriars, Elephant & Castle, London Bridge."

See http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46587.aspx#terminals

Unless you meant something else?

Apart from this exception, and the interavailable exception for National Rail tickets from West Hampstead Thameslink or Kentish Town to Thameslink group stations, and fares from (e.g.) Brighton to Farringdon, I don't think there are any other National Rail point to point tickets valid to / from Farringdon. Obviously you can pass through Farringdon with a cross-London ticket.

I stand corrected. I thought it only applies to season tickets but the link above applies to all tickets routes ‘plus high speed’.

highspeed990

This is all silly. So I can go from Clapham to Euston via Watford with a London terminals ticket but not from Brighton to St Pancras. If I buy a ticket from Brighton to St Pancras it will say London terminals on it in which case I'll travel to St Pancras.

Last edited by a moderator:

highspeed990

When you buy a ticket to London, it says all terminals. If I want to travel from Brighton to St Pancras, I will as that's the station I bought the ticket to. My question was for the tube.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This is all silly. So I can go from Clapham to Euston via Watford with a London terminals ticket but not from Brighton to St Pancras. If I buy a ticket from Brighton to St Pancras it will say London terminals on it in which case I'll travel to St Pancras.

When you buy a ticket to London, it says all terminals. If I want to travel from Brighton to St Pancras, I will as that's the station I bought the ticket to. My question was for the tube.

Clapham Junction to London Terminals is not valid via Watford Junction and into Euston. Just because you’ve got away with something in the past doesn’t make it valid and if you continue to make that journey you are at risk of a penalty fare or prosecution.

If you buy a ticket from Brighton to London it says ‘London Terminals’, not ‘All Terminals’. It is only valid to travel to the appropriate London Terminal for the journey being made. St Pancrasis not an appropriate London Terminal for a Brighton - London Terminals ticket (from memory the appropriate Terminals are Cannon Street, London Bridge, Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Waterloo, Charing Cross, Vauxhall)

If you give us details of your intended journey then we will be able to advise an appropriate ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:

alistairlees

Established Member
St Pancras is not an appropriate London Terminal for a Brighton - London Terminals ticket (from memory the appropriate Terminals are Cannon Street, London Bridge, Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Waterloo, Charing Cross, Vauxhall).

And Victoria and Waterloo East of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.