• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a ticket to all london terminals valid on the tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
National Rail Enquires suggests the £6.20 SDS highlighted for a journey from Tower Hill to St Pancras International via Farringdon - http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/Tower_Hill/STP/Tuesday/1200/dep?via=Farringdon
I would argue that the £6.20 ANY - PERMITTED SDS from Zone U12 to London Terminals is not necessary for this journey, but rather that the £4.90 SDS routed VIA UNDERGRD/DLR should be enough, because the Thameslink core (between Elephant & Castle and West Hampstead Thameslink) is interavailable for the purposes of using U-zone tickets on National Rail services and thus the cheaper, theoretically Underground-only, fare is valid.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
As I recall, tickets from U zones should be issued to a named station, not London Terminals, although some TIS don't co-operate well with this.
That is interesting. I can see a logic in it, that it would allow London Underground ticket inspectors coming across a passenger with such a ticket to much more easily determine whether he/she was on a reasonable route for the journey; I wonder if this is why? Do you know of any TISs which do issue those fares like that?

talldave

Established Member
On a London Terminals ticket from an outboundary station, you may not travel to/from/through Farringdon station on the Thameslink core (except on an HS1 ticket travelling via St Pancras), which is why you can only go as far as City Thameslink from a southern origin.

Is there a definitive source for this information, as Thameslink newbies in Kent are asking and Southeastern are tweeting crap as usual :(?

talldave

Established Member
Copy of internal documentation attached
Thank you, that's really useful. But where does Joe Public get that information, bearing in mind that Southeastern's Twitter team are incapable of reading it?

Haywain

Veteran Member
It seems bizarre to say that a ticket from the Great Northern route to London Thameslink is also valid at King's Cross but only for break of journey!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It seems bizarre to say that a ticket from the Great Northern route to London Thameslink is also valid at King's Cross but only for break of journey!

Indeed but it’s the sort of thing to be expected from GTR...

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Thank you, that's really useful. But where does Joe Public get that information, bearing in mind that Southeastern's Twitter team are incapable of reading it?

Osmosis?

There doesn't appear to be anything on either the National Rail or Thameslink websites giving this information (this NRE page would be a good place for such info).

On the Railplan 20/20 website there is this, in the FAQs under "What ticket will I need from 20 May 2018?":

* Southern and Thameslink (South) route

London Terminals tickets
London Terminals tickets are valid to London Victoria, London Bridge, London Blackfriars, City Thameslink, London Charing Cross, London Cannon Street and London Waterloo (as long as this is not prohibited by the routing of the ticket).

Travelling beyond London City Thameslink?
Customers who wish to travel to any London Thameslink station including City Thameslink, Farringdon, London St Pancras, London Blackfriars, London Bridge and Elephant & Castle may do so by purchasing a London Thameslink ticket where avialable. This ticket will not allow customers to travel to other London Terminals such as London Victoria.

Where the London Thameslink ticket is not available, point to point tickets are available to St Pancras, Farringdon and City Thameslink. These are the same price as London Thameslink. We are working to enable the London Thameslink tickets in full as soon as possible. Note these tickets are not valid on the Underground.

There's also this on the Southeastern webpage detailing the May timetable changes:

Ticket acceptance

Travelling to Farringdon or St Pancras

If you hold a ticket that's valid to 'London terminals' but not valid on our High speed services, you can use this northwards as far as City Thameslink.

Unfortunately, spectacular levels of ongoing confusion amongst both staff and passengers is likely how this will all play out.

talldave

Established Member
Osmosis?

There doesn't appear to be anything on either the National Rail or Thameslink websites giving this information (this NRE page would be a good place for such info).

On the Railplan 20/20 website there is this, in the FAQs under "What ticket will I need from 20 May 2018?":

There's also this on the Southeastern webpage detailing the May timetable changes:

Unfortunately, spectacular levels of ongoing confusion amongst both staff and passengers is likely how this will all play out.
Thanks, really useful.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Thank you for sharing that PDF it is very helpful. I think that there should be a London Thamelink ticket option from every Kent station. I have been able to find that from a few stations near me if I specify "avoid Stratford International" I am given an itinerary on the journey planner to St Pancras with the route "Not Valid on HS1" which is a few pounds cheaper.

What I can't tell is if I actually buy this ticket, would it be a named station or London Terminals? Putting in St Pancras estimation seems to bring up fares of the same price

Status
Not open for further replies.