• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a Train actually a Bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrennan

national rail or Trainline etc
Looking at Stansted Airport to London 14/9 and it is showing me this ticket. States Platform 3 as a "Bus Day Single "

Seems to apply and be available on every journey (Along with £19, £31 tickets)

When you look up it states valid for a BUS but times are for a Train

Confused

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
national rail or Trainline etc
Looking at Stansted Airport to London 14/9 and it is showing me this ticket. States Platform 3 as a "Bus Day Single "

Seems to apply and be available on every journey (Along with £19, £31 tickets)

When you look up it states valid for a BUS but times are for a Train

Confused

Would that not indicate rail engineering works that day?

clagmonster

Established Member
I see no scheduled replacement buses. A standard open single is £19, a first open single is £31. I don't see why it should show as a bus day single, although the ticket type is in the system for other flows, so probably just a glitch.

causton

Established Member
Okay, the journey planner is clearly mixed up.

The TIMES and journeys seem to refer to the Stansted Express/Greater Anglia service.

But the PRICES shown refer to a bus single on the National Express, when you hover over the times on the journey itineraries it says ROUTE A6 VIA PADDINGTON.

"Fare information

Great Western Railway offers fares between Stansted Airport and London Paddington. Abellio Greater Anglia offers fares between Stansted Airport and London Liverpool Street.

Outward
By National Express A6 coach via Paddington"

I think GWR have put in some fares which NRE has accidentally applied to London Terminals queries...

CatfordCat

There are some destinations off the rail network that you can book through to on a rail ticket (other than the 'plusbus' scheme that is) - for example, i think you can book train tickets through to minehead by changing to bus at taunton.

Fares don't normally change if there's rail replacement bus / coach in operation.

As for this specific, I think NRE has got its electronic underwear in a tangle.

I've just tried for the date you say and current time, so it's giving departures after 2215. The journey details say its an Abellio Greater Anglia service, calling at Bishops Stortford and Tottenham Hale, taking 47 minutes to Liverpool Street. Which seems right.

It's offering me a 12 pound single with the following blurb -

Bus Day Single

Anytime : fully flexible tickets with no time restrictions on when you can travel. Perfect for people who need flexibility

ROUTE OF TICKET A6 VIA PADDINGTN - By National Express A6 coach via Paddington

Which does not make a lot of sense.

I've tried some on a different day, mid morning, and it's suggesting a 19 pound single with the text I'd expect for an 'any time' single.

[ETA - largely duplicates what other people posted while I was researching, but such is life...]

sdrennan

if I bought this ticket for the 8:30 from platform3 then it states it goes to Liverpool st in 53 mins.
Will it be accepted on the train. Will i get forced onto bus
Can I claim delay repay if journey is more than 30 mins late arriving at Liverpool st

Status
Not open for further replies.