• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a watch necessary for a driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingdriver

I wear a G-Shock watch and have for years as they are pretty indestructible. Tend to take it off and stick it in my jacket pocket when driving. I have access to it if I need the precise time to fill out a form or whatever but generally it's go when the guard says go and drive the same way regardless of whether we are on time or late.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railweigh

I would imagine it's not too bad but whenever I've asked for a battery they just throw a new watch at me.

It actually looks like they’re not designed to be replaced with the way the battery is held in, which if true is hideously wasteful. I may be wrong send they’re all just sent off for replacement but it seems strange that it wouldn’t just clip in and out like pretty much all other watches.

PudseyBearHST

There are a few drivers with Rolex/omega/breitling or other nice watch <:D Unfortunately, I don’t think they come as standard issue from the company. I feel we should all be issued with the Omega Railmaster, a very modest price of £4450:D

theironroad

Established Member
There are a few drivers with Rolex/omega/breitling or other nice watch <:D Unfortunately, I don’t think they come as standard issue from the company. I feel we should all be issued with the Omega Railmaster, a very modest price of £4450:D

Totally agree.

Still wouldn't wear it, but either flog it or hold onto it as a investment....

Hi all, I’m due to start training as a driver in 2 weeks time. I’m thinking about having buying a watch before I start so a couple of questions:
A) is is necessary
B) would an Apple other smart watch be allowed/suitable in the cab?
Is your training still going ahead as planned then bud? Congratulations also.

Marino

TOC watch at my place is a traditional analogue type. Utterly useless, the minute hand does not match up so you don't know if you are 30 seconds late or early. Cab clocks don't show seconds and when you set them to the correct time the seconds don't reset so if its 30 seconds fast it will always be thus. Same with the PIS interface clock's, they don't have seconds and are also inaccurate most of the time.

Getting a cheap radio controlled digital watch shows that you are consciousness.
Sounds like you're not issued with a "TocWATCH" but with a watch that isn't fit for punctuality.
The TOC where 172 007 used to be issues a TocWATCH that's radio controlled.
Our TCMS clocks are also inaccurate.

High Dyke

Established Member
If the railway are buying them you might want to add a couple of zero's to the price. Suppliers maybe trying to charge exorbitant prices for every day stuff, just like elsewhere on the railway.o_O

ComUtoR

Established Member

Eggs&Bacon

Would be interested to see a TOC issued watch, if anyone is ok posting a picture.? Just being nosey. :D

TheGoldfish

It actually looks like they’re not designed to be replaced with the way the battery is held in, which if true is hideously wasteful. I may be wrong send they’re all just sent off for replacement but it seems strange that it wouldn’t just clip in and out like pretty much all other watches.
I’ve changed the battery in mine ... just 4 tiny screws in the back to get that off and then there’s a spring clip over the battery which u release with a pin in the slot at the top ... then Use the pin to press and hold down a little reset button next to the battery for a few seconds and thats it

cr2032 battery which is a about £2 for 2 off eBay

the sniper

Established Member
Who needs a Railmaster when you've got a top of the range TocWATCH..?

ExRes

Established Member
I still have my Zeon watch given to me by NSE in the early 1990s, it has luminous hour, minute and second hands and keeps perfect time, it's obviously had its strap and battery changed a few times over the years and is now used mainly for dirty jobs in the garden and around the house, as I am ..... It was rested for a while when we were given the EMT nuclear powered 'never tell the wrong time' jokes, which were nearly all consigned to the rubbish bin in double quick time, but was happily returned to service and never held a grudge for being temporarily rested

CreamNCookies

Sorry I was just being facetious adding .00 at the end. That flew.over everyone's head haha

Status
Not open for further replies.