• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Advance ticket valid on train retimed to depart 3 minutes earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tornado

hi. train is retimed to depart 3 minutes earlier than when i bought the ticket, but will arrive at the same time at my destination

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Your ticket will be accepted. No need to ask the guard.

No need to refund it & buy a ticket for the retimed departure, either.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Technically no but if you ask the guard I'd be amazed if they refused to convey you.
That's not correct; if a train is retimed or cancelled, the ticket would be valid on alternative services as appropriate.

hi. train is retimed to depart 3 minutes earlier than when i bought the ticket, but will arrive at the same time at my destination
You can either take the retimed train or you can take the next available departure after that.

tornado

Thanks for the responses. Trainsplit actually auto-advised me to "take the next available train". Perhaps they should change their wording to include taking the retimed train.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Perhaps they should change their wording to include taking the retimed train.
I don't believe the data will automatically tell them that a train has been retimed, so that would be very difficult.

_toommm_

Established Member
If the OP elected to take the next train, could they then claim delay repay?

Yes they could, although there have been some TOCs that argue that delay repay only applies to the timetable on the day, which is incorrect if you’ve prebooked a ticket at xx:yy and it then gets re-timed/removed.

tornado

Are seat bookings retained if a train is retimed?

Out of curiosity I started a new booking, and saw that the seat on my original ticket is taken. Of course someone could have chosen it in the past few days, but unlikely as many seats are available.

_toommm_

Established Member

Out of curiosity I started a new booking, and saw that the seat on my original ticket is taken. Of course someone could have chosen it in the past few days, but unlikely as many seats are available.

They won’t, as the new train will have a different retail service ID.

Haywain

Veteran Member

For a minor retiming, it is usually the case that the reservations will remain in place.

robbeech

Established Member
Yes they could, although there have been some TOCs that argue that delay repay only applies to the timetable on the day, which is incorrect if you’ve prebooked a ticket at xx:yy and it then gets re-timed/removed.
For now.

They won’t, as the new train will have a different retail service ID.
I’d say more often than not trains (that aren’t removed altogether) are retimed rather than removed and replaced. So seat reservations will generally remain here. Of course the difficulty is knowing which train has been retimed which way. It may appear that the 1402 becomes the 1410 and the 1437 is removed but actually it may be that the 1437 becomes the 1410 and the 1402 is removed. The data is available but of course you need to know what the data is now to find the train to work out what it changed from. Non of it is passenger friendly but any reasonable retailer would use the data to give passengers who have already bought tickets details of what they should do and any options they have. The risk to the retailer is that the passenger will give up and not take a risk and refund and go in the car so there’s actually more incentive to keep quiet and let the passenger find out on the day when they’re committed. Changing the rules on delay repay (see the NRCOT update thread) strips passengers of any rights they previously had so it’s a pretty big win for the railway who can now simply run a train when they want and you either catch it and shut up or refund.

TUC

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. Trainsplit actually auto-advised me to "take the next available train". Perhaps they should change their wording to include taking the retimed train.
I think you're being rather literal.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you arrive at the station in good time, a train 3 minutes earlier than the booked departure time would be the next available train.

I don't think that it would be possible to be as specific as to say "the retimed train" but if anyone has any good suggestions for how the wording could be amended I am sure they would consider it.

I also agree that if you didn't make it, and if the next train after that got you to the destination late enough to qualify for Delay Repay, you should qualify, though some train companies would try to get out of it, and the new NRCoT puts this right under threat too (under discussion in the dedicated thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.