• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is delay repay limited to the total cost of the ticket if delayed on both legs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Is delay repay limited to the total cost of the ticket if delayed on both legs? (Sorry if this has been covered before.)

I was delayed by one hour on the outward portion and by two hours on the return portion when using an Off Peak Return.

Outward delay = 50% value of the ticket in compensation.
Return delay = 100% value of the ticket in compensation. However, will this be capped at only 50% as a compensation payment for the outward journey is already payable?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
It is limited to the cost of the ticket, so even if you can technically claim 50% and 100%, you’ll be limited to the full cost of the ticket.

35B

Established Member
It is limited to the value of the ticket.
Where is that stated as, last time this was discussed on here, there was little advanced to show that this was inherent in the contract between parties; merely an internal rule for a TOC.

_toommm_

Established Member
Where is that stated as, last time this was discussed on here, there was little advanced to show that this was inherent in the contract between parties; merely an internal rule for a TOC.

It’s called delay REPAY, so you’re only getting repaid what you originally paid.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

It's normally in the Passenger Charter of the relevant TOC.

35B

Established Member
It's normally in the Passenger Charter of the relevant TOC.
Thank you, but you make my point - last time I had cause to look at the detail, it was not capped at 100% of the fare, but a payment tied to the value of the ticket purchased and where in certain extreme circumstances a repayment greater than the original fare be made. For that reason, I have always regarded the nominative determinism expressed by @_toommm_ as mistaken, even though TOCs have tried to employ it.

sheff1

Established Member
This has been discussed many times and there has never been a consensus even though, in my view, the answer is a clear 'No'. All I can add is that, should I ever be unfortunate enough to be delayed by more than the specified threshold on both outward and return trips, I will be making two claims, both for 100% and, if knocked backed, will be taking things further. Obviously I would report back on here but hope I never have to - I prefer to arrive on time and never claim Delay Repay.

peters

On Moderation
It’s called delay REPAY, so you’re only getting repaid what you originally paid.

Northern give you the option of getting a rail travel voucher instead of payment, which means a 120 minute delay on a short journey like Salford to Manchester return can result in compensation equivalent to a Northern only return ticket from Salford to Windermere.

matt_world2004

Established Member
If it was the case that delay repay could exceed the price of the ticket. You could travel around London on a 1-6 travel card looking at the travel alerts for delays and make a tidy income.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Northern give you the option of getting a rail travel voucher instead of payment, which means a 120 minute delay on a short journey like Salford to Manchester return can result in compensation equivalent to a Northern only return ticket from Salford to Windermere.

It's a bit hard to actually give that value to the Northern vouchers, because they cost Northern the cost of a piece of paper and administration to actually provide (a lot of people will use them for extra leisure journeys, so they cannot be assumed to carry the value of the equivalent paid for ticket). Whereas if they pay you £50, that's £50 they no longer have.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed it has been discussed many times; I concur with @sheff1 that there is no clear consensus.

However I believe it's generally accepted that there wouldn't be much you could do if the TOC decides you should be restricted to the value of the ticket.

Of course, you could be delayed by two different operators (such as from Liverpool to Bighton it could be West Midlands Trains in one direction and Govia Thameslink Railway in the other, for example); in which case there is obviously not going to be any issue getting the full amounts from each company.

Last edited:

35B

Established Member
It's a bit hard to actually give that value to the Northern vouchers, because they cost Northern the cost of a piece of paper and administration to actually provide (a lot of people will use them for extra leisure journeys, so they cannot be assumed to carry the value of the equivalent paid for ticket). Whereas if they pay you £50, that's £50 they no longer have.
Which is a brilliantly effective way of managing the situation. The consumer gets something of £50 value to them, whereas the cost to the company is negligible. I've more than once suffered disruption on a ticket with negligible face value which has destroyed the day out, and sought recompense from the operator by way of a complimentary ticket to allow me to have the day out that I'd planned.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which is a brilliantly effective way of managing the situation. The consumer gets something of £50 value to them, whereas the cost to the company is negligible. I've more than once suffered disruption on a ticket with negligible face value which has destroyed the day out, and sought recompense from the operator by way of a complimentary ticket to allow me to have the day out that I'd planned.

Even RTVs did that for me - I'd typically spend them on extra rail travel rather than on a journey I was making anyway. Money, OTOH, just goes in the bank and isn't specifically spent that way.

35B

Established Member
Even RTVs did that for me - I'd typically spend them on extra rail travel rather than on a journey I was making anyway. Money, OTOH, just goes in the bank and isn't specifically spent that way.
My wife would disagree with that last one - but you've just demonstrated the value to the company!

Status
Not open for further replies.