• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it cheaper buying tickets for Europe in Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
I was having a convo with someone yesterday about buying tickets for travelling within Europe and they seem to be of the impression that it’s cheaper buying tickets within Europe.

For example, travelling Dortmund to Berlin it’s cheaper to buy a ticket online using a VPN to convince the retailer that you’re in Germany rather then buy the ticket in the UK.

Is this just a myth?

Also how far ahead can you book tickets travelling within Europe?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spoorslag '70

You could always try, but I would highly doubt they do it (nor would it be permitted under EU law).

You can book ahead for roughly 3 months, fewer in some countries, but not close to the December timtable change (bookings after that mostly start late October/early November)

Aictos

Established Member
You could always try, but I would highly doubt they do it (nor would it be permitted under EU law).

You can book ahead for roughly 3 months, fewer in some countries, but not close to the December timtable change (bookings after that mostly start late October/early November)

So for October, it be August at the earliest?

Aictos

Established Member
6 months in advance is possible in Germany but the better deals are to be had 3 months in advance, at least that is my experience.

Well I’ve got the DB Navigator app on my phone which shows up prices, only thing is if I leave it least 3 months in advance won’t they sell out?

try seat61.com all you need to know about train travel in Europe

Ive been using it but sometimes there’s questions which it don’t have.

Veteran Member
Well I’ve got the DB Navigator app on my phone which shows up prices, only thing is if I leave it least 3 months in advance won’t they sell out?

Do test bookings for 3 months and 6 months and see (allowing for major holidays of course).

On the general question, there are local fares, including short distance cross-border ones, that may not be available through international agencies. For example, there is still an international "full price" fare which may be the only one that a ticket office in a different country can sell, but a locally-available fare as well.
There are also sometimes different advance-type international fares depending on which country's site you use (with d8ff3rent conditions
However, those fares are AFAIK available on national railway websites wherever you are from, at least within Europe. ISTR though that there was/is a bit of an issue with the various SNCF-owned sites.

dutchflyer

Established Member
On a neat tit-for-tat comparison its not allowed as long as you Brits still adhere to EU-rulings. There may indeed be differences due to above explained. And many people compare pricing in GBP with those in EUR from other sites-there is also a difference in that.
On the official railways sites its not the case-so orig. Q should have pointed out to use DB/bahn.de and pay in EUR. But the old loco2 simply made f.e. RENFE/spanish fares in EUR the same in GBP-thus gaining some 10-12% extra.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There's not usually any reason to buy tickets from other than the operator's local web site.
You can be sure of seeing all the available fares, in local currency, and with links to the various discount schemes so you can check eligibility.
I think I've only ever had one case where I could not buy an e-ticket from an operator (a TER site) while I could from another agency (trainline.eu in this case).
Over the years, local sites have got better English language versions, and now all generally accept UK credit/debit cards (I've booked via 30-odd national sites over the last 6 years).
Dealing with SNCF is always rather fraught, however, as they try to make you use their UK site in £ - I always use the French site in €.
It's also one of the least user-friendly to buy from, DB being about the best (quite apart from its superb journey-planner capability).
Generally, I would always buy in local currency to avoid poor exchange rates.
You can often buy domestic tickets from the more organised operators (eg DB, OBB) up to at least 6 months in advance, but the normal is about 3 months, less in Eastern Europe.
Spain (RENFE) is a law unto itself, and can't even do domestic connections very well, so you sometimes need to buy split tickets.

Aictos

Established Member
I’ve got the services I want to use, just a case of waiting then booking.

Appreciate the help all

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Ive been using it but sometimes there’s questions which it don’t have.

Drop an e-mail or Tweet to Mark Smith himself; he's usually very helpful and sometimes able to offer extra insight beyond what he puts on the website.

Aictos

Established Member
Drop an e-mail or Tweet to Mark Smith himself; he's usually very helpful and sometimes able to offer extra insight beyond what he puts on the website.

I intend to, one part of my travels I’ve now found a interesting method of travel thanks to the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.