• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it Me Getting Old or Has the Magic Gone From Christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Too young to comment 8-) They don't make Christmas hits like they used to though like the song's by Wizzard, Slade, Chris Rea etc.

Guinness

Established Member
Currently Christmas for me is trudging around shops in Town and just generally fighting for Catalogs in Argos.

Not pleasant.

Ascot

Established Member
depends if you look at the glass really, half full or half empty. Apart from facts like Global Warming and bollox like that.

Nick W

Established Member
Absolutely true!

How can you not be fed up with a celebration that starts at August and ends 10 days early?

All real meaning has been lost!

petethetim

I personally think its to do with people even children being too materialistic by that I mean the would get something bought to them on a normal shopping trip that children of my generation would have only had a chance of getting as a Christmas Gift & in some cases a very Slim chance , my nephew last night was a perfect example , he went to Tesco's with his Mum & came home with a PSP game worth £30 , & I know personally he has about £1,000 worth of Gifts for Christmas from his Mum & Dad alone ( which I personally think is ridiculous for an 8 Year Old).
So maybe were are the cause of our own downfall ?

When I was a child I got maybe two or three Good present & maybe a few stocking fillers , but the Max Value of my presents would rarely have exceeded £30 - 40 .....
I remember the year I got a train set Which cost £15 guineas (£15:75), I only got one other toy & an Annual & selection Box ( a Mars Double tray one which was a standing order every Christmas)

Alstom1995

I find Xmas boring now, I never used to when I was younger but it seems like now, all its about is getting drunk and spend spend spend.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It really doesn't feel like Christmas. I think the weather is partly to do with it (it being stupidly mild for December!) and the amount of coursework. Also, the prospect of GCSE mock revision over the xmas holidays :(

Alekseys

Everything loses its' novelty after a certain amount of times. Commercialization of christmas also ruins it now, I think.

I think the weather is partly to do with it (it being stupidly mild for December!)

I like it stupidly mild, I'd prefer not to freeze my bum off all winter.

Z12XE

I find Xmas boring now, I never used to when I was younger but it seems like now, all its about is getting drunk and spend spend spend.

Yea, I with you on that. Its gone a little far IMO with all the presents/cards and the amount its all pushed on TV.

I dont remember chrismases from the 70s, but in Maggie's day things were different

:rr:

Christmas. I aint got any decorations up cos I CBA. Absolutely hate Christmas songs. Haven't done any Christmas shopping yet, niether has Mum. In short, I hardly bother with it anymore and not the only one that feels this way. It's a shame but TBH the only thing that will be different on Christmas day is that my brother and grandparents will be round.

Status
Not open for further replies.