Is it OK to use two day returns?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by suzanneparis, 15 Jun 2019.

1. suzanneparis

suzanneparis Member

I am travelling from Leicester to London tomorrow and back tomorrow evening. Can I buy a Leicester to Kettering day return and a Kettering to London day return??

Also, will I get my senior railcard discount on those tickets?

Thanks for any help.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Yes you can, but you need to make sure the train stops at Kettering.

Yes a Senior Railcard discount is available on those tickets, although some railcards have restrictions/minimum fares on weekday mornings

4. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yes you can buy Leicester to Kettering return and Kettering to London returns for tomorrow, with your Railcard.

You can ask for these at the ticket office, or alternatively there are accredited ticket splitting websites that will sell you this combination if it's cheaper than a through ticket, and will provide you with an itinerary for your whole journey.

5. suzanneparis

suzanneparis Member

Many thanks both

I did try one of the splitting tickets sites but it didn't offer the day returns option - unless it was me being stupid (a distinct possibility).

Thanks again

6. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Trainsplit will do it for £30.22, including Day Returns where available.

There are sites that aim to offer the cheapest combination of fares; presumably either someone told you about this combination or you found it on a split ticket website.

If you buy it from a website and travel by the itinerary you selected (which you can customise under 'advanced options' to meet your requirements) then it really couldn't be simpler.

If you have a particular question, do let us know, but I don't understand the issue here?

Last edited: 15 Jun 2019
  7. suzanneparis

suzanneparis Member

Thanks for your reply. But I couldn't get trainsplit to offer me day returns. It just offered £42-55 if I use my senior railcard. I can't see the option to disable flexible tickets.

Aha!!! I didn't notice the button to click to show 'value' tickets. Now I have indeed got £30-22 return with my railcard.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.