• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it possible to find out when Class 37s are running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I had a disappointment today when a Pacer turned up for my trip from Carlisle to Whitehaven. However this was more than compensated for by the arrival at Whitehaven for the 1612 service back to Carlisle of a loco hauled train of total beauty! Despite the apparent age (flip cover ashtrays in the arm rests!) the seats were really comfortable and all tables no airline. Being lucky enough to travel on it made my day :wub: .

Anyway on telling my OH about this, he being an avid reader of Rail magazine, he tells me that the Class 37s are being phased out due to unreliability. Such a shame, but I know reliability is the most important aspect of running a rail operation so I suppose it’s inevitable.

So to get to the point, he said he would love to do that coastline in one of those trains before they disappear. However I wouldn’t want to arrange it for him (as we live a few hours away from Carlisle) unless I could be sure that a Class 37 would be doing at least one way of the journey.

So is there any source for this type of information unless you “know someone”?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
I had a disappointment today when a Pacer turned up for my trip from Carlisle to Whitehaven. However this was more than compensated for by the arrival at Whitehaven for the 1612 service back to Carlisle of a loco hauled train of total beauty! Despite the apparent age (flip cover ashtrays in the arm rests!) the seats were really comfortable and all tables no airline. Being lucky enough to travel on it made my day :wub: .

Anyway on telling my OH about this, he being an avid reader of Rail magazine, he tells me that the Class 37s are being phased out due to unreliability. Such a shame, but I know reliability is the most important aspect of running a rail operation so I suppose it’s inevitable.

So to get to the point, he said he would love to do that coastline in one of those trains before they disappear. However I wouldn’t want to arrange it for him (as we live a few hours away from Carlisle) unless I could be sure that a Class 37 would be doing at least one way of the journey.

The following services are currently scheduled to be 37 hauled on the Cumbrian Coast. Note that the allocations are different each day of the week.

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays:
2C33 Barrow 0546 - Carlisle 0833
2C40 Carlisle 0842 - Barrow 1130
2C49 Barrow 1140 - Carlisle 1426
2C34 Carlisle 1435 - Barrow 1723
2C47 Barrow 1731 - Carlisle 2031

Tuesdays and Thursdays:
2C32 Carlisle 0515 - Barrow 0803a / 0804d - Preston 0937
2C47 Preston 1004 - Barrow 1133
2C41 Barrow 1437 - Carlisle 1728
2C42 Carlisle 1737 - Barrow 2031

Saturdays:
2C32 Carlisle 0515 - Barrow 0803
2C41 Barrow 0845 - Carlisle 1135
2C48 Carlisle 1156 - Barrow 1449a / 1455d - Lancaster 1608
2C31 Lancaster 1731 - Barrow 1840

No 37 hauled services on Sundays.

The frequently requested diagrams thread has all of these, plus other frequently requested diagrams included. https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/frequently-requested-diagrams-thread.84997/

DanNCL

Established Member
That’s brilliant. Sorry I was unaware of that diagrams thread, must do my homework before asking questions in future!
The frequently requested diagrams has the 37 and 68 diagrams for the Cumbrian Coast together as the 37 hauled set and 68 hauled sets swap diagrams each day (The 68 hauled set works diagram 1 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, diagram 2 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, whilst the 37 hauled set works diagram 2 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, diagram 1 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.) I only posted the 37 hauled services above; the 68 hauled services are in the frequently requested diagrams thread if your also interested in them.

Harbornite

Established Member
If you want more tractorage, you'll be able to find details of Greater Anglia's Gt Yarmouth services that are 37-worked.

Ash Bridge

Established Member

Trainophile was that yourself enquiring about the availability of the seat on the coastal side of the above mentioned class 37 hauled service to Carlisle this afternoon by any chance?

trainophile

Established Member
Hells bells yes I was! Where were you? Were you that kind gent who kept pointing out spare tables, unfortunately all on the wrong side?

So it sounds like we almost had one of those unexpected forum meets! What a shame I didn’t know.

On my way to Inverkeithing today, don’t suppose you’re on the 0901 from Carlisle? :lol:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Hells bells yes I was! Where were you? Were you that kind gent who kept pointing out spare tables, unfortunately all on the wrong side?

So it sounds like we almost had one of those unexpected forum meets! What a shame I didn’t know.

On my way to Inverkeithing today, don’t suppose you’re on the 0901 from Carlisle? :lol:

Yep! that was I. Unfortunately we're not on that service today, we later went back to Crewe on the 18:46 Pendolino, and must say it was a five star experience travelling in 1st class being offered the evening meal (lamb hotpot followed by cheese with crackers & chutney) then later on sandwiches etc. from a lovely onboard crew. It certainly brought us back down to earth when we changed into the Northern 323 for the final short leg back home from there! Anyway it was nice to meet you briefly and especially so on such a classic train as that, hope you have a great trip onwards to Scotland today also :)

trainophile

Established Member
Haha what an amazing coincidence. If we had known perhaps you would have let me sit at your table.

Actually it wasn’t really the coast that I wanted to look at, having seen it on my way to Whitehaven earlier. I wanted to get some photos of the fields full of Herdwick sheep just near to Maryport, as they are another of my husband’s passions (in the nicest possible way! :lol:)

Now I know who you were can I have a little rant about the group on the table opposite me... they could see I wanted to look over there and out the window, and seemingly deliberately leant right across it, leaving only a small gap in the middle which the woman blocked with her large handbag!

Oh well, never mind. I’m now a bit embarrassed at someone I “know” witnessing my several futile attempts to move!

Inverkeithing was beautiful today. I only went there because I love crossing the water. On my way back to Carlisle shortly and back home tomorrow.

Going 1st Class now and tomorrow but both will be wrong time of day for anything exciting!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Haha what an amazing coincidence. If we had known perhaps you would have let me sit at your table.

Actually it wasn’t really the coast that I wanted to look at, having seen it on my way to Whitehaven earlier. I wanted to get some photos of the fields full of Herdwick sheep just near to Maryport, as they are another of my husband’s passions (in the nicest possible way! :lol:)

Now I know who you were can I have a little rant about the group on the table opposite me... they could see I wanted to look over there and out the window, and seemingly deliberately leant right across it, leaving only a small gap in the middle which the woman blocked with her large handbag!

Oh well, never mind. I’m now a bit embarrassed at someone I “know” witnessing my several futile attempts to move!

Inverkeithing was beautiful today. I only went there because I love crossing the water. On my way back to Carlisle shortly and back home tomorrow.

Going 1st Class now and tomorrow but both will be wrong time of day for anything exciting!

Yes indeed, you should have just asked! Thanks for explaining about the sheep btw, funnily enough earlier in the trip I'd mentioned these looked quite different to those seen in other parts of the country and I hadn't realised they were unique to Cumbria. I have a reasonable knowledge of trains and railways but pretty much zilch when it comes to livestock really! :lol: Btw speaking of beasts 37403 performed superbly on that train yesterday did it not! (here she is arriving on the dot at Ravenglass yesterday)

Attachments

• IMG_4179.JPG
    IMG_4179.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46

trainophile

Established Member
Gorgeous. We’ve always said we mainly enthuse about new modern trains, but that experience yesterday was certainly one to savour. Until the next time then!

Status
Not open for further replies.