• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it possible to use Priv boxes and excess to first class

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Friend of mine who is protected (ex BR) status and has PRIV with boxes for standard class wants to know if he can date a box then pay the difference between a standard class ticket (75% off) and a first class ticket (75% off) I.e. An excess.

We want to do a trip up to Scotland (most likely from Preston) to either Glasgow or Edinburgh. I have a complementary first class return on VTWC (booked train only). The solution sounds like I just sit in standard with him. But we were trying to think of work around.

I hold a disabled railcard too which could give a discount on an advance if we booked a first advance. This is a return journey btw. Out one day back a few days later. Not sure of days yet but I'm thinking weekdays.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
No. Holders of Standard Class boxes must pay the full public rate for travel in first class, unless weekend first is available.

gray1404

Established Member
So best option then is either I sit I standard with him or we use comp return in 1st plus railcard discounted advance. Thanks

Rover

I could understand in BR days that those with 1st class privs wanting to keep their differentials with the 2nd/standard class privs but these days it doesn't appear to make much sense, surely an upgrade to 1st is extra revenue for the railway?

boxy321

I'm 99% sure the train manager (on VTWC) would allow your friend to pay for an upgrade. The amount would be a walk up price so eye watering I expect though.

Status
Not open for further replies.