• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is learning to drive an HGV harder than learning to drive a train ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hello, been registered on this forum for a while, I usually just browse topics but thought I’d toss my penny’s worth in...

I’ve been driving LGV’s (Large Goods Vehicles, the current definition of lorries, but HGV;Heavy Goods Vehicle is also valid) for over 20 years, passed my Category C (HGV 2) test first time, but took 4 attempts to pass Category C+E (HGV 1), the 4th attempt falling just after theory tests were introduced. From my point of view, speed awareness and hazard perception are crucial, most Modern vehicles are super-user friendly, gone are the days of using a clutch & splitter gearboxes with range change and no synchromesh, my Scania has a dinky little paddle on the steering column stalk. Choose drive, Rev away! As with any new vocation, it takes some acclimatisation, manoeuvring and reversing come with practice, but even after 20 years, I still stop, get out, have a look around. But by far the biggest hazard driving a vehicle up to 44tonnes is other BLOODY ROAD USERS!! There are so many impatient, selfish, self-centred fools we have to share the roads with who have no grasp that a wagon can’t stop on a sixpence like a car can. Driving during lockdown is heavenly, it’s like a perpetual Sunday morning!

And as for harder to drive than a train? No, not even close. The concentration required to drive a lorry isn’t constant, you can relax on motorways & quieter roads, there is definitely less scrutiny than driving a train (not that I’ve driven a train, but talked to people that have)
Interesting post @Andyorr. Welcome to the forum too. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
And as for harder to drive than a train? No, not even close. The concentration required to drive a lorry isn’t constant, you can relax on motorways & quieter roads,

One of the latest industry risks is the concern regarding 'underload' Train Drivers don't need to concentrate as much as you would think. You can take a train up to linespeed then sit back and coast. You can do that at 100mph with little concern :/

One complaint you may often hear from Drivers is that its a job where you will get bored.

PudseyBearHST

And as for harder to drive than a train? No, not even close. The concentration required to drive a lorry isn’t constant, you can relax on motorways & quieter roads, there is definitely less scrutiny than driving a train (not that I’ve driven a train, but talked to people that have)

As above, there isn’t much concentration required for train driving because once you’ve done the job long enough to feel ‘comfortable,’ you can do it without thinking about it and in auto-pilot mode. And it won’t take you long to be comfortable in job- 6 months to a year if that- which is why you are very high risk of an incident because you start to become bored and complacent when you’re not fully aware of the risks. NTS skills are a big thing in the industry to prevent getting into autopilot mode and realising when you are at risk.

Particularly with the high speed/commuter express runs, it can be extremely boring just taking it up to linespeed and watching the trees go by. This is why some of us enjoy when we’re on a branch line because it makes a change and even the all stoppers are ironically not too bad because you’re constantly doing something.

With train drivers, pilots and HGV drivers, the everyday job is nice and easy and plain sailing* but an emeregency situation can develop within seconds so you should never be complacent.

*no pun intended but I should therefore also mention marine pilots/ship captain

I think the last part though of what you said is so important about train drivers being under more scrutiny.

I didn’t phrase the first part well. Of course maintaining concentration is very important but it’s very easy hope to lose concentration due to the repetitiveness of the job

Status
Not open for further replies.