• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Lockerbie to Glasgow valid via Edinburgh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mak1981

Hi

I am able to get journeys to glasgow to route through with a change at haymarket on national rail, does the routing guide allow Lockerbie to Glasgow via Edinburgh Waverley?

If so then its a good one to know and I will be deleting this thread!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
Hi

I am able to get journeys to glasgow to route through with a change at haymarket on national rail, does the routing guide allow Lockerbie to Glasgow via Edinburgh Waverley?

Lockerbie to Glasgow isn't valid via Edinburgh according to the routeing guide.

What journeys are you seeing? With which journey planner?

Mak1981

On nre

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201119-210032_National Rail.jpg
    Screenshot_20201119-210032_National Rail.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 80

JB_B

Established Member
OK - what ticket was nre offering for that journey? For me nre.co.uk is showing two separate tickets totalling £30.10.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before that the mobile version of NRE does not make it clear when it is offering you split tickets - which seems to be the case here.

Mak1981

Is that some non-flexible advance ticket? :?:
Doesn't give a price for it on nre, so I was thinking it is showing as a valid journey on nre just rock up with an anytime ticket without any restrictions and if needed buy a single haymarket to waverley

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Confused. Thought you were travelling from Lockerbie to Glasgow as per the thread title. As JB_B has pointed out, travel via Edinburgh on a Lockerbie to Glasgow ticket isn't permitted on an off peak or anytime ticket. Are you being shown some advance ticket or two ticket combination?

If you do want to travel to Edinburgh, and not Glasgow, why not get a Lockerbie to Edinburgh ticket?

ag51ruk

Doesn't give a price for it on nre, so I was thinking it is showing as a valid journey on nre just rock up with an anytime ticket without any restrictions and if needed buy a single haymarket to waverley
That isn't how it works - if you are offered a ticket for a route then it is valid, but in this case it doesn't offer a ticket - that is just the quickest available journey at that time but there is no valid ticket for that journey, you would have to split

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is the OP hoping to travel short from Lockerbie to Edinburgh on a cheaper Lockerbie to Glasgow ticket?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As a general rule we don't allow the deletion of threads for this reason; any request for deletion can be made via the report button but we may not agree to delete it.

Last edited:

Mak1981

Is the OP hoping to travel short from Lockerbie to Edinburgh on a cheaper Lockerbie to Glasgow ticket?
Substantial cheaper yes if valid

Any permitted ticket, route planner appearing to show it as a valid route, if its wrong then surely that could be an internal railway matter if I bought an any permitted anytime ticket

The fares from Glasgow to Edinburgh are cheaper than Lockerbie to Glasgow so that wouldn't make sense.

Lockerbie to Glasgow is just over half the fare Lockerbie to Edinburgh even if having to purchase a single haymarket to Edinburgh as well

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That isn't how it works - if you are offered a ticket for a route then it is valid, but in this case it doesn't offer a ticket - that is just the quickest available journey at that time but there is no valid ticket for that journey, you would have to split
I tried Lockerbie to Glasgow via Haymarket on NRE (non-mobile site) departing at 1634 tomorrow; NRE offers two tickets, priced at a total of £35.60, and hands the request to the TPE site, which states there will be two tickets for the journey. The site does handle the request.

I did the same search using Trainsplit, which came up with £34.60, a quid cheaper, due to the split point being Falkirk rather than Haymarket.

As others have said, the mobile version of NRE has limited functionality compared to the full version.

Any permitted ticket, route planner appearing to show it as a valid route, if its wrong then surely that could be an internal railway matter if I bought an any permitted anytime ticket
I don't think any retailers are offering a ticket from Lockerbie to Glasgow with an itinerary via Edinburgh. But if that did happen, I agree that it would need to be honoured.

The screenshot you provided earlier, from the limited mobile version, didn't mention fares

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
OK - what ticket was nre offering for that journey? For me nre.co.uk is showing two separate tickets totalling £30.10.
Suspect that's a combination of a £16.70 advance single from Lockerbie to Haymarket on TPE together with a £13.40 off peak single from Haymarket to Glasgow.

JB_B

Established Member
Suspect that's a combination of a £16.70 advance single from Lockerbie to Haymarket on TPE together with a £13.40 off peak single from Haymarket to Glasgow.

Yes - that's the combination it was offering.

@Mak1981 If you don't check exactly which tickets are actually offered in conjunction with an itinerary ( and I know that NRE don't make this particularly obvious ) you can't just assume that a single route: Any Permitted ticket is valid for the whole journey shown. You potentially risk encountering serious problems if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.