• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Manchester Victoria slowly being rennovated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Power supply failure yesterday in the main station buildings above and around the ticket office. All passenger toilets out of use and several other associated problems around the concourse too.

The concessions Northern Rail selected are awful. One was charging £1 for drinks for 12 months, then put them up to £1.65 the following day. Manchester Piccadilly station's Bread Box kiosk still charges £1.

I'm hoping Network Rail take Vic in house as a managed major station.

Sounds like standard SSP pricing - although I think the Pumpkin might be a bit cheaper.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
No, the Ginster's cafe isn't SSP. They are some small franchise operator from Lancashire, and own the attached (expensive) Mace convenience store.

Bread Box kiosk at Piccadilly is owned by SSP; as there is genuine competition, they have reasonable prices over there.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No, the Ginster's cafe isn't SSP. They are some small franchise operator from Lancashire, and own the attached (expensive) Mace convenience store.

Bread Box kiosk at Piccadilly is owned by SSP; as there is genuine competition, they have reasonable prices over there.

I tend to go over the road to the co-op for anything cold. The only time I've found a cup of tea at any station for less than that is the Pumpkin or Macdonalds (which, come to think of it Victoria sort of has).

I've not tried the bread box kiosk, or seen it anywhere before, however it sounds handy.

Of course, the best thing they could to would be to move the Pumpkin down the main building (replace some of the offices etc) and get the Sheffield/York tap people to take over the current bar/cafe area. Now that would be an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.