• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is mask wearing still mandatory in Berlin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Further to my question about tickets.. i've just seen it mentioned that you HAVE to wear bloody FFP2 masks on all public transport? Is this true? If so what a ballache!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Yes afraid so. Just back from a week in Germany where many wear the more common light blue masks, but not many wear no mask at all. Some traincrew were asking the odd non-mask wearer to cover up.

Yes it’s annoying, but just go with it and don’t allow it to spoil your trip.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ballache? Really? Seems to me to be less of a ballache than catching the bloody disease.

Perhaps you might like to compare COVID rates in Germany and the UK to see how much effect you think it might, or rather might not, be having.

FFP3s (and N100 respirators, the ones that look like wartime gas masks) do pretty much block it but hardly anyone wears those due to the cost, and of those who do most probably aren't properly leak tested.

WestCoast

Established Member
At the moment, I believe most German states are fine with medical masks or FFP2 but not cloth masks. I have just returned from a trip to Germany (albeit not Berlin rather NRW) and I’d say around 50% wore the blue disposable medical masks including myself. Interestingly enough, the staff on the IC/ICE services were way more relaxed than on regional trains where I saw a few people asked to leave if they wouldn’t put one on. Compliance overall was very high though, around 90% or more I would say.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yeah, the FFP2 requirement is Germany-wide. The only difference is in active enforcement.

I've only seen cloth masks in the UK, or on people from the UK. AFAIK they're not considered 'masks' (in the protective gear sense of the word) anywhere else.

They aren't here either, they are "face coverings".

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Seems to me to be less of a ballache than catching the bloody disease.
Masks don't protect you as the wearer, and are useless as a public health measure. Go take a look at England's covid rates since February 2020 on a graph and see if you can pinpoint where masks became mandatory.

greyman42

Established Member
Yep. Public transport and medical facilities require wearing of FFP2 masks. As others have noted, surgical masks are accepted in practice.

Ballache? Really? Seems to me to be less of a ballache than catching the bloody disease.
Catching covid is no big deal to the vast majority of Brits.

route101

Established Member
Yeah, the FFP2 requirement is Germany-wide. The only difference is in active enforcement.

I've only seen cloth masks in the UK, or on people from the UK. AFAIK they're not considered 'masks' (in the protective gear sense of the word) anywhere else.
Wearing an FFP2 mask in the UK is sort of a clue that someone is foreign here.

Hans

To give an up to date real life opinion, both wife and I have travelled in Germany over the last 8 weeks or so using trains. At no point have either of us worn (or even had) a mask, no comments at all including from DB staff. Our observations were many other pax used their masks as chin warmers and consumed food and drink to ensure they did not wear their masks.

philg999

Well I’m on an ICE from cologne to Frankfurt right now and some heavy security guards walked through the train 5 mins ago at the start of the HSL, telling people to put their masks on. The Americans behind me argued with them and were told that if they do not, they will be fined and myst leave the train at Frankfurt flughafen. The security people were not handing any out either. So do take a mask with you.

102 fan

Well I’m on an ICE from cologne to Frankfurt right now and some heavy security guards walked through the train 5 mins ago at the start of the HSL, telling people to put their masks on. The Americans behind me argued with them and were told that if they do not, they will be fined and myst leave the train at Frankfurt flughafen. The security people were not handing any out either. So do take a mask with you.

I would of thought Germany, more than any other European Country, would of been uncomfortable with a heavy handed police/security presence.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A friend of mine is over there now, he says that wearing of them on the U-Bahn and suburban trains is low but very variable, similar to how it was between July and December last year where it was “mandatory” on the Underground but not legally practically enforceable.

Broucek

Just back FFP2 used by 80% of people and other types of mask by another 10%

No enforcement that we saw, and when we forgot once or twice no one was bothered

Status
Not open for further replies.