• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is mayflower and princess Elizabeth staying at Carnforth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Why not simply ring Carnforth, ask to speak to Farmer Smith, as address your repeated questioning to him directly?

alexl92

Established Member
Why not simply ring Carnforth, ask to speak to Farmer Smith, as address your repeated questioning to him directly?

A little harsh, perhaps the OP could have condensed all their WCRC questions into one thread but this is a public forum for both the experienced and the new.

@OP, As you are aware, both locos are privately owned. In Mayflower’s case, the ownder David Buck has had her ‘upgraded’ for Main Line running and in order to make the most of that, he seems to have agreed a deal where West Coast operates and maintains her when she’s doing railtour work. I think she’s still available to go and work on heritage lines on hire though, which West Coast’s fleet don’t often do (with certain exceptions - KWVR get a Black 5 from them for a few months each year as part of the 45212 loan deal, East Lancs often run in the Carnforth locos and Wensleydale now have links with David Smith, hence 35018’s recent visit).

In the case of 6201, she underwent a full restoration a few years ago, I think at Tyseley. She returned to the main line and then failed and it was found she needed significant work on the boiler tubes, which the group who looks after her simply couldn’t afford. In the end, West Coast made a deal to repair and maintain her in return for using her on railtours.

A slightly simplified response but I think everything I’ve said is accurate - corrections welcome from anyone who is more ‘in the know’!

Status
Not open for further replies.