• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is MK to Crewe Super Off Peak Return Valid via Birmingham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK Tom

Established Member
I want to travel from Milton Keynes to Crewe this Sunday (22nd) and pay the London Midland fare of £15.20 with railcard. The first direct service gets me in at 13.04. Could I not arrive earlier using LM services via Birmingham? National Rail doesn't show the LM only fare via Birmingham even when LM are selected as the operator.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You can travel via Birmingham, but as you can't depart before 1030 this won't get you there any quicker.

The restriction is worded:

Not valid for travel on
northbound London Midland
services timed to DEPART_any
station, before 1030.

Last time I checked this was implemented literally as stated, i.e. if the train has departed *any* station before 1030, even if you board much later, it is not valid. As Euston-Brum trains have more stops than Euston-Crewe south of MKC, you'll come off worse if it is still worked this way.

Edit I probably answered the wrong question here. MKC-Crewe is valid via Brum. There are no time restrictions on Sunday, thus this is valid so far as I can tell.

Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
Thanks very much! It's annoying that NRE don't show it as an option as it allows an arrival 90 minutes earlier on the LM only ticket.

Is break of journey permitted on that ticket?

kieron

Established Member
If I was looking for an operator specific ticket, I probably wouldn't use National Rail to check times. You can ask it to show itineraries which use London Midland (in this case) at some point, but you can't ask it not to then put you on a Virgin train from Birmingham.

By contrast, the London Midland site does look for London Midland only itineraries. The site shouldn't be too hard (on a computer) to use if you select "FAQs" from the bottom right of their home page, and enter the details on the journey planner on the page that takes you to.

I was a bit disappointed to see that the map it brings up doesn't show a route via Birmingham if you search for routes via Birmingham, though.

MK Tom

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I'll reply back here if I have any issues using this ticket via Birmingham tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.