• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Network Rails HR department really this slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonefish74

I have recently left the Armed Forces and decided that a new career on the railways was a good option. I applied for a job with Network Rail and was told I had been successful on completing the interview. Since then I have had very little in the way of feed back from the PM or HR department… My Job Site profile just says ‘Assessment 2 Completed’. I am now around 2 months since being welcomed aboard… but still no formal offer form the HR department, is this normal for the rail industry or should I move on!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Septus

is this normal

Yes.

Hurry up and wait...is the phase that springs to mind with getting most jobs on the railway. :roll:

When I got this job back in 07, I got a conditional offer/contract sent to me, I returned it, and still took them almost 2 months to give me a start date!

Last edited:

Stonefish74

So it is normal then! The PM in charge of the team I will (hopefully) be working with has told me he can’t do anything till the HR department set up my Medical for PTS! Can’t believe things take so long to process, and I thought the Army did things the hard way!!! Thanks for the reassurance anyway, guess I’ll start decorating my house!

CatfordCat

Yes.

In my case (different sort of job) applied in March and did an online test sort of thing fairly soon after that. Interview in July. Got letter saying "no thanks" in September. Invited for second interview in October (manager couldn't explain the "no thanks" letter but said something "off message" about HR) and provisional offer that day. Offer confirmed (following references and such) about a month later.

I ended up saying no thanks (don't really want to expand on that as might identify me)

ukcinc

I can speak first hand of nr hr. I will say its not normaly hr at fualt, its normal nr department managers that are a little slow.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Really? normally managers are screaming at HR to sort it out.

In my place of work, which is not the railway, managers are screaming at us to sort it out, but 'it' is normally the mess that they made in the first place. HR, though, is a useful and convenient blame point.

ukcinc

Hi planner,
Its its normally managers. Its more a paper work issue.
Trying to fit people in on new course and rota. But it also be which depo or area you are going to. Once hr have finshed with you ie you done your hr tests, your handed over to the depo/department manger. If your being passed over to a manager who is busy it can take awhile plus there a kind of a gray area when they get your paper the forget what they are ment todo...there is to types of computer systems they have to input your details on. They normaly put you in on one system but forget or do not know about the other. Hence they hold up untill you ring hr or the manager. Once it goes on the other system your details and contrect will follow very quickly. Plus what they also do is put up a ad for x2 track workers but they may not have the funds for them yet. So again it can take a little longer.
Hope that helps.

Stonefish74

11 days on and I've had a e-mail... Confirming the papers relating to my appointment are being processed by the HR Resourcing Team! Maybe the waiting is coming to the end... But reading ukcinc last post... maybe not!

ukcinc

Hi stonefish.
I dont mean to put you off. I wish you all the best for your job. NR hr are a friendly and normaly help out alot. A normaly wait time between each task eg...applation to telephone test to tests at hr to interview..the normaly waiting time is around 10 to 14 days...no idea why.
But once again i wish you all the best. If i can be of any more help pm me
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh stonefish what depo will you be going to and what will you be your role?

Network

I applied in October and started in the April!

and that was only with chasing them up constantly

Stonefish74

I can see me being another 6 month guy! Not bothered but would just prefer them to say 'Hey we don't want you till...!' Then I could get stuck into other things that are time consuming! oh well.. Thanks for all the replies nice to know it's the norm, keep feeling like I should just go and find something else, but really like the opportunity thats been offered!

Stonefish74

Start my new job on Monday... Things picked up in February and the process from receiving a contract, pension, medical to new starter pack all happened quickly. For any frustrated new comers that browse passed this in desperation, stick with it the process is long but what a company to get into! Feel lucky and excited :)

Jones

Congratulations! :D

Hope you enjoy the role you have and it was worth the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.