• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is no Wi-fi an excuse to change advance booked train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Established Member
Infact there are certain trains in this country where it is quite possible for standard class passengers to get free wifi in one coach but have to pay in others in the same train, when all standard class passengers should be paying.

Free wifi for "standard" class passengers?
Whatever next?
Free electric light? An upholstered seat? A roof on the carriage? ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
I tend to agree, if you have a rail ticket then it simply allows you to travel as per the ticket between the two stations
If you have a First Class ticket, the train has Standard, then you are entitled to a partial refund
If your service is delayed, then you are entitled to compensation

However if the service does not have WiFi then there is no compensation

I reported the lack of WiFi on a NXEC service during my ALR in 2009 and was simply given a written apology
More recently I had the same issue on a Virgin Trains service and was given an almost identical response
I have assisted other people, and the response has been typically similar with just an apology

I suspect this is due to the service being paid for in Standard and free to First Class
This has parallels to the Shop / Buffet services, where if they are not available then there is usually no compensation

It is an interesting question as to refusing to board a service as it does not have the advertised WiFi (and hence why you purchased the ticket)
However, what would happen if the next service was also similarly affected
Equally, where a service does not have a Shop / Buffet this has to be announced prior to the train arriving so that passengers can make alternative arrangements prior to boarding, a change of Advance ticket is still not normally permitted

andykn

It is an interesting question as to refusing to board a service as it does not have the advertised WiFi (and hence why you purchased the ticket)
However, what would happen if the next service was also similarly affected
Equally, where a service does not have a Shop / Buffet this has to be announced prior to the train arriving so that passengers can make alternative arrangements prior to boarding, a change of Advance ticket is still not normally permitted
I think no catering is a good parallel to no wi-fi so if that's not normally an excuse to change advance tickets then no wi-fi wouldn't work either.

I'm not bothered about compensation or a refund as I realise the service can't be guaranteed, just thought the train company might be prepared to mitigate the loss of service.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Well, they very well might.. or you might get to write to the operator of the Wi-Fi service and get a bunch of free 24 hour vouchers for use on another service (perhaps when you travel standard) or in other locations.

One thing that is generally pretty good about private operators is that they are quite customer service focused. Not necessarily great on dealing with revenue issues, but certainly for other things. I always find that a nicely written letter, that's polite but expresses disappointment can work wonders.

But, I think we're all clear that you won't be able to change your booked train over something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.