• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is November too early to make plans for 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Morning all, I know I don't post too often here these days, but to be fair that's down to a change of hobbies/interests/life goals more than anything. I do still read a number of subscribed threads on a semi-regular basis, and normally my posts are on my trip report thread with updates as to how things are going. I did consider posting this on my trip report thread, but it felt to be quite a broad topic where I wanted views of a bigger audience. I've already posted this on Facebook, so it's a copy-paste from my status update on there this morning. As a result, it's not specifically written for a transport enthusiast audience. I've added more of the relevant details in places for this post though! So here we go:

Is it too early to make New Years Resolutions or make 2019 plans? Even if it is, I'm doing so this morning!

In late 2017 I only made one resolution for 2018, which was to make my first solo long-distance trip. Which I managed months ago with Canada. Looking back at it, that was too easy though, I need to set one that will be a bit more challenging for 2019, equally it needs to be achievable. I reckon it's subject to change before 1st January 2019, but I'm currently settling on this:

At some point in 2019, I'm resolving to take 2018's resolution to the next level and go for my first Ultra Long Distance solo trip.

Now I've not 100% settled on the exact origin, destination, route or activity for the ULR trip. I'm adamant it will include a city break in Sydney, but New Zealand's a nice idea too. NZ appeals more for the scenery though, and I'm not convinced I will have the patience to sit on the trains for hours at once to take it in. Given my luck with trains here in the UK these days is poor, I'm tempted to look into it still but not necessarily for 2019. It's 90% certain going to be Sydney, and it was going to involve starting the trip from Heathrow, but I'm really doubting that following the less than amazing experience there when I went to Estonia [the plane spotting bit at T5 was excellent, but as a passenger I was far from impressed by LHR - Ed].

This is all part of the fun though for me, the planning, research and eventual booking will no doubt sound ridiculously tedious and boring to most people, but for me this is just the start of a holiday. Same really for when I get home, a trip does not end until the full photo collection is posted and the trip report posted in full [which in January will *hopefully* include my first aviation trip report posted on YouTube! - Ed].

As things stand, I'll probably just go for the cheapest option with the flights when I get to booking, but I'm also looking at the following for the route:

Virgin Atlantic 787 LHR-LAX
Virgin Australia 777 LAX-SYD
Virgin Australia 777 Sydney to Hong Kong
Virgin Atlantic 787 Hong Kong to LHR

The reason for that choice of routing is really quite simple, as it would effectively be a round the world trip, which I have wanted to do for a very long time! The booked aircraft type was also a big factor, the only thing that puts me off is the 14 and a bit hours flight from LA to Sydney! [I'm still struggling to get off the nicotine as I type this, which I managed to deal with on the LGW-YYZ and YYZ-LHR flights in May but those were much shorter than my proposed flights. I'm hoping to be off the addiction before this trip - Ed]

Finally to end this for the duration, I'm also making some big plans for 2019. Yes some of them will be carried over from 2018 [I still have 3 phases of 7 phase 2018 Grand Plan to achieve - Ed] but there are some new ones and they will be revealed in due course. Probably when they actually happen, in the meantime finances need to be sorted first. I'm very slowly working on that, admittedly I'd be nearer to it if I stopped going on social functions! That isn't too likely though Give it a few more months and I'll be able to proudly announce the 2019 plans though, travelling-wise or more [I've not revealed to my norm mates yet what they are, and I'm not about to do so here, but I have started some initial research this morning - Ed]

What I *can* say for sure is that I'm very excited about 2019 as it's going to be incredibly good fun and productive!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Never too early to plan ahead etc. As you say, the planning can be almost as good as the trip itself. Good luck with it all.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Never too early to plan ahead etc. As you say, the planning can be almost as good as the trip itself. Good luck with it all.

Thanks! I'm going to need it, I nearly completely cancelled my plans to go exploring next year in recent times, for the same reason I didn't want to go to Canada on my own. Which was being lonely on the trip/at night in the hotel. Thankfully I snapped out of that and I'm going away again in 2019. Copenhagen is already booked for January and I've only got a couple of bits to sort out for that now. My problem is having a seriously over-active brain when it's bored/tired, so long flights can be a challenge and I just cannot sleep on planes. I could be given a luxurious First Class lie-flat bed and I'd still not sleep!

Thank any and everything I came to my senses and not let (I've had a bit of red wine on my night off since my last post!) the lack of female company on my trip stop me exploring the world! Quite, should Sydney actually get done the only country left on my Bucket List to do would be New Zealand...

flymo

Established Member
Never too early to plan at all, booking early can get great deals.

I've got a Virgin trip booked for Feb 2019 HKG - LHR - JFK - LHR - HKG to use up most of my airlmiles as they expire in March and I very rarely even look at Virgin these days. Last couple of times I have travelled with them they weren't a patch what they used to be so time to cash out.

Always wanted to do a round the world trip, something for me to plan for the future.

Good luck with the planning and the trip.

Established Member
I don't think it's too early to make plans either. I really want to go to Australia myself, but I expect it'll probably be at least a few years before I manage to go there.

Best of luck mate. :)

Andrew S

I say any time is a good time to make plans, as it gives us something to aim at, prepare for, save for, etc, whether it is a trip round the world, joining a painting class, writing a novel, buying a new tv, etc.

New Year Resolutions are funny things. I think people perhaps find the New Year a good time to measure achievements and set goals, just because the calendar gives us a milestone to measure against. Nothing to stop us setting them at other times though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
People do seem to tie their plans to calendar years for some reason, but it's no more ridiculous to book a holiday (say) for July in December than it is to book one in February for August.

Macwomble

I don't, normally, plan very far ahead....BUT...I've already got a two month journey booked/paid for for next June & July taking in Singapore, Australia, Fiji & Hong Kong.

It's a trip I've always wanted to do......now I can...it's my retirement present to myself :D:D:D:D

Oh, and in answer to the OP's original question.....No...November isn't too early..............I booked that little lot way back in August.

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
First of all, nice to hear from you again on here.

It seems that as you already have a clear plan, I would say go ahead and book when finances permit. My dream international railway trip would be the Trans Siberian, but it will probably be around 20-25 years or so before I make plans for that. I did sample the Bullet trains in Japan back in 2005, plus some regional traction as well.

Regarding the nicotine, I have been there myself, and know how it can be tricky to stop. My unorthodox method was that back in 2015 while I was waiting for the highlights of Aston Villa to come on (I should have known it would have been at the end, as Villa are not perceived to be one of the "big" sexy teams), I ran out of tobacco, and as it was heavily raining, I could not be bothered to nip to the Tesco garage. The next day when I got groceries from the Tesco store near me, I never got tobacco. As the bin men come on Monday mornings, I had tossed out the ashtray and remaining Rizlas and filter tips, plus a couple of lighters as well.

After that, whenever I attended any organisation meetings, instead of me hanging around after to go to the pub, it was straight back home for me being as I was at my most vulnerable after stopping smoking. I did this for a few weeks afterwards and have not smoked since.

Hope all of the above helps, and whatever future activities you do, do stay well and healthy and enjoy yourself.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Never too early, and depending on the season you plan on going in in 2019, maybe a bit late to get the best deals.

Planning early means you may have to compromise less on what you can see or do.

The big question is - why do you want to spend that much time spent in a 787 seat?! You must be a braver man than I. Working your way round on OneWorld not only gives you more flexibility (given BA's presence in the US and Qantas and Cathay (if HKG is on your list)) but more comfortable options. Virgin Atlantic is, I'm told, solid, but Virgin Australia was solidly 'meh' when I took it last.

Enjoy Down Under and the other side of the Pond.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for the input everyone. Clearly I'm not the only person crazy for making epic plans much earlier than the average person does!

Since I started this thread, I actually revealed my big plans for 2019 on Facebook after doing a bit of research. Long way off sorted yet, as finances are still diabolical following various farces earlier on in 2018, but the two major non-travel plans are:

1) Get my derriere into gear, now I've regained personal confidence, and work my way into a job in the travel industry. For the record, that's most likely to be in the airline industry, not the railway.

2) Having almost done a full year in the shared house I'm currently in, and how I've now grown wearsome of the fellow housemates, not to mention confident enough to live in my own place finally, I'm looking at sorting that out in 2019. It's a way off yet, as I need to sort out my financial situation before I can do so. I'm slowly working on it though, even if it means I'll have to sacrifice many nights off to do it. I've only done about 10 minutes of research so far, but I'm very excited about this.

Only one of the two above situations will end up happening at once in 2019, but we'll see what happens. I do have other plans, which I've already enlisted help with, which are majorly off-topic though!

Adrock, thanks for the advice there. Not a bad idea that, certainly worth a try! It's going to take a lot of doing, and I've only tonight got inspired to get back into shape (the power of competitveness is not to be underestimated!) so who knows how long it'll take. Glad it worked out for you though!

Someone asked why I want to spend that long on a 787. They're my favourite long-haul craft that I've so far tried is the fast answer!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Thanks for the input everyone. Clearly I'm not the only person crazy for making epic plans much earlier than the average person does!

Since I started this thread, I actually revealed my big plans for 2019 on Facebook after doing a bit of research. Long way off sorted yet, as finances are still diabolical following various farces earlier on in 2018, but the two major non-travel plans are:

1) Get my derriere into gear, now I've regained personal confidence, and work my way into a job in the travel industry. For the record, that's most likely to be in the airline industry, not the railway.

2) Having almost done a full year in the shared house I'm currently in, and how I've now grown wearsome of the fellow housemates, not to mention confident enough to live in my own place finally, I'm looking at sorting that out in 2019. It's a way off yet, as I need to sort out my financial situation before I can do so. I'm slowly working on it though, even if it means I'll have to sacrifice many nights off to do it. I've only done about 10 minutes of research so far, but I'm very excited about this.

Only one of the two above situations will end up happening at once in 2019, but we'll see what happens. I do have other plans, which I've already enlisted help with, which are majorly off-topic though!

Adrock, thanks for the advice there. Not a bad idea that, certainly worth a try! It's going to take a lot of doing, and I've only tonight got inspired to get back into shape (the power of competitveness is not to be underestimated!) so who knows how long it'll take. Glad it worked out for you though!

Someone asked why I want to spend that long on a 787. They're my favourite long-haul craft that I've so far tried is the fast answer!

Now I’m the first to advocate Virgin, but if you went via Dubai to Sydney with Emirates you’d be almost certain of an A380.

Or you could go LHR-Perth non-stop with Quantas. Possibly not the cheapest option, but an experience for sure.

Finally, Virgin’s first A350s are due in service next year; i’ll find out which routes they are pencilled in for, but I suspect LA or HK will be near the top of he list. In fact there are plenty of A350 options via HKG (with Cathay from Gatwick), and from LHR via Bangkok (Thai), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysian) and Qatar.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah but I'm not an Airbus fan! The flight with Qantas to Perth does appeal, but the ching with Emirates and Qantas is insane!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

I have been in the travel industry since leaving school in 1977, mainly travel agents and tour operators, still dabble a bit now although semi retired. One thing I would point out, when I first started there were loads of good deals in the travel trade for travel trade members, but these are nowhere near as good now as they used to be. You have to hunt around. I am single and after a day sightseeing, I am quite happy to go back to my hotel room and either gen up what I am doing the next day, or read a book. I take loads as I can not sleep for long on flights. Good luck with it all.

whhistle

On Moderation
People plan weddings two or three years in advance these days.
I have planned holidays over 12 months in advance too. Difficult with annual leave but can be doable.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Ah but I'm not an Airbus fan! The flight with Qantas to Perth does appeal, but the ching with Emirates and Qantas is insane!
I think by the time you've done more than a few hours in a Dreamliner seat you'll regret it! I would think if booking more than a few months out you won't get the best rate necessarily. Good time to book today I'm sure with the American Thanksgiving sale tradition spreading round the world.

Basher

Having taken caravaning up two years ago, I like to plan my trips away when the preserved railways are have event days. What I find is that the preserved railways are a lttle late in giving event dates on their websites for me.
Some caravan sites end up fully booked early in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.