• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Stafford still barrier free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangie

Quick question.
Haven't been to Stafford Station since last summer (only live 7 miles away), but could someone tell me is it still barrier free to get onto the platforms?
Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
It was still barrier free last time I visited a couple weeks ago :)

A popular spot for spotters due to the traffic levels

dangie

Thanks.
Have wondered for quite some time why they haven't installed barriers.
As the entry onto the platforms is quite narrow could it lead to a Health & Safety problem if the platforms had to be vacated in an emergency? Or is it simply there's not much room?

whhistle

On Moderation
Which is surprising...
Aren't all other Virgin stations barriered now?

hawk1911

Stafford certainly isn't barriered and, the last time I asked (probably around 3 months ago; I know a few people who work at the station), there are no plans to do so. Having said that, there seems to be plenty of space for barriers.

Over the next few years, there are also plans to open up the other side of the station, as part of the Stafford Gateway Masterplan, which could complicate any barrier arrangements.

scrapy

Established Member
I have not heard any reports of Warrington BQ, Wigan NW, Lancaster, Oxenholme, Penrith or Carlisle being barriered either.
No they aren't. Neither are Macclesfield or Runcorn.

The franchise agreement First briefly had said all their managed stations had some Network Rail stations had to be gated.

When Virgin/Stagecoach got their franchise extension there was a requirement for a certain number of gates in total (think it was 100) concentrated between Manchester/Birmingham and Euston.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.