• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Stanstead Express 1st Class worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFX

I normally travel from Stanstead to Liverpool St in standard but fancy treating myself for a change. 1st class was certainly relaxing on the ECML (in the days of GNER) but am I likely to feel suitably relaxed if I choose 1st on the Stanstead Express?

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
No freebies yet on the Stansted Express & even that is not as far as i am aware will not be that good. Wifi is free & nice spacious 1st class seating & tables but then again Standard rarely fills up especially if you walk down a couple of carriages. Unless i the company is paying i wouldnt bother.

amcluesent

Yep, nothing mind-boggling. I've used my FC PBO-KGX 'any permitted' to do that route, and the seats are comfy and it's been very quiet or, at rush hour, the only carriages with peeps not standing. That's about it really!

PFX

Thanks guys. I've also discovered the airport lounge access is worth hee-haw to me either as it's only open to international travellers. A fact which isn't obviously clear on the website until I did a bit of searching.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
For a journey of 45 minutes or less it is not worth it unless the cost is no issue. As i said, if it was crowded yes but plenty of off peak capacity.

I must say that this has to be one of the worst trolley catering services i have ever seen. Bad once or twice i wouldnt mind but it is consistantly awful. I have recently had staff who not only speak very little English but wreaked of body odour. The depressing black painted trolley gives no idea whatsoever as to what they sell & when asking for a lager & pointing as he couldnt understand, he produced a bottle but unfortunatley :roll: didnt have a bottle opener. Luckilly my mate always carries some pliers (dont ask). Such a pity it is not run in-house with similar standards to the catering on the Norwich route.

PFX

I often carry pliers myself (likewise, don't ask) so that wouldn't be an issue and a Yale-type key is also equally as useful in such circumstances.

Anyway, as money isn't an issue in this instance, I've decided to go ahead with it so will probably regret doing so in due course. I suppose if I'm delayed oustide Liverpool Street for as long as I was last time, I will think it worth while.

I take it catering is a sub-contracted service which the TOC doesn't care much about?

Status
Not open for further replies.