• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the eNRT the official source of mileage for the NRCOC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0b

Established Member
Or is there a paper version that's official?

I've spent my time trying to parse out the eNRT docs. It's a mess :D

After catching the distance between Euston and Northampton at 5.25 miles from Table 68 page 31, I'm left with this as the shortest route beween Euston and Glasgow Central:

path of 385.00 miles: London Euston -> Wembley Central -> Shepherd's Bush -> Willesden Jn -> Acton Central -> South Acton -> Gunnersbury -> Kew Gardens -> Richmond -> St Margarets -> Twickenham -> Whitton -> Feltham -> Ashford (Surrey) -> Staines -> Egham -> Virginia Water -> Longcross -> Sunningdale -> Ascot -> Martins Heron -> Bracknell -> Wokingham -> Reading -> Theale -> Thatcham -> Newbury -> Hungerford -> Pewsey -> Westbury -> Castle Cary -> -> West Allerton -> Mossley Hill -> Edge Hill -> Liverpool Lime Street -> Moorfields -> Sandhills -> Kirkdale -> Walton (Merseyside) -> Orrell Park -> Aintree -> Old Roan -> Maghull -> Town Green -> Aughton Park -> Ormskirk -> Burscough Junction -> Rufford -> Croston -> Preston -> Lancaster -> Oxenholme Lake District -> Penrith North Lakes -> Carlisle -> Lockerbie -> Carstairs -> Motherwell -> Uddingston -> Cambuslang -> Rutherglen -> Dalmarnock -> Bridgeton -> Argyle Street -> Glasgow Central

I've got no idea how it came up with that :lol:

Never mind, figured it out. there are some blank stations that allow teleportation :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
got it looking better:

path of 398.25 miles: London Euston -> Wembley Central -> North Wembley -> South Kenton -> Kenton -> Harrow & Wealdstone -> Watford Junction -> Milton Keynes Central -> Rugby -> Nuneaton -> Atherstone -> Polesworth -> Tamworth -> Lichfield Trent Valley -> Stafford -> Crewe -> Hartford -> Warrington Bank Quay -> Wigan North Western -> Euxton Balshaw Lane -> Leyland -> Preston -> Lancaster -> Oxenholme Lake District -> Penrith North Lakes -> Carlisle -> Lockerbie -> Carstairs -> Motherwell -> Uddingston -> Cambuslang -> Rutherglen -> Dalmarnock -> Bridgeton -> Argyle Street -> Glasgow Central

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

barrykas

Established Member
This may be a silly question, but why not just use the figure from Table 65? Namely 401.25 miles.

Cheers,

Barry

MCR247

Established Member
That first route to me looks more like over 500 miles to what I've worked out

John @ home

Established Member
Or is there a paper version that's official?
All we have to guide us are the words in the Routeing Guide:
National Routeing Guide - Instructions said:
The shortest route is calculated by reference to the National Rail Timetable.

CALCULATING SHORTEST DISTANCES
As the shortest route for any journey is always a permitted route, this can be checked, and the distance between stations calculated, from the National Rail Timetable. Mileages appear in the station column at the beginning of each major table, except table 51. To arrive at the throughout distance for travel between every station by any route, add mileages together for the component parts of the journey by referring to the relevant timetables.

http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/RSPDocuments/instructions.pdf
The National Rail Timetable at http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/eNRT/Dec10/CompleteTimetable.zip (44.4Mb) is published by National Rail Enquiries, a subsidiary of the Association of Train Operating Companies, so we can assume that is an official version.

National Rail Enquiries said:
Two printed versions of the National Rail Timetable are published: one by Middleton Press and one by TSO. The Middleton Press version is currently only available by mail order, visit the Middleton Press website for order details. The TSO version costs around £15.00 and can be bought from bookstores at larger stations.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/timetable/index_custom.html

My understanding is that the TSO version displays pages in exactly the same way as the original version of each edition of the eNRT. I don't know whether the Middleton Press version does this or not.

There are many errors and omissions in the mileages in eNRT. My hope is that an electronic version of this information is made freely available in a form akin to railmiles. This would allow us more easily to identify and collate the errors and omissions, and to seek to have them corrected.

b0b

Established Member
There are many errors and omissions in the mileages in eNRT. My hope is that an electronic version of this information is made freely available in a form akin to railmiles. This would allow us more easily to identify and collate the errors and omissions, and to seek to have them corrected.

I can probably cross reference the eNRT data I've extracted with the Meridian 2 dataset on data.gov.uk to spot errors and omissions.

I guess I was just venting some frustration on how bad the eNRT - the official source of distance - is!

I wonder where railmiles gets its data from though. any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.