• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the Itenerary on a ticket binding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlevel42

When trying to book from A to B via C in the UK the engine would not do it.
However if I pressed "slower routes" it offered a purchasable ticket from A to B via D,E,F,G,F,E and C. i.e. it doubled back after going a hundred miles out to G and added 12 hours to the journey all for about £60 rather than £55.

At least two engines offer this ticket.

I doubt very much if one of the operators would accept part of the journey as it be quicker to go from G to B on a direct train.

My question is do operators have to allow the set itinerary even though it is stupid for most rational thinkers (but not me I would love to do it- 24 hours and 4 minutes).

Would this journey be printed on a set of tickets or just one?

If I put the journey on here might it disappear?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yeah, don't post the details publicly. Send a PM to a Fares Advisor/mod/admin when one appears onthread, or select 'Fares advice and policy' at the top and scroll to the bottom to see their names (then click on it to send them a message).

Generally speaking, a ticket purchased in conjunction with an itinerary given by a ticket website is valid on those services.

There is an argument, which I can see the merits of but do not necessarily agree with, that if you purchase the ticket knowing that it shouldn't be valid and you take advantage of an obvious error then the contract is void.

Providing however that your itinerary states 'Valid on the route and train services shown' or similar and is adhered to, then you will normally be allowed to travel.

I use the word 'normally' because certain Train Operating Companies have been known to ignore their requirements to accept valid tickets, such as FGW (now GWR), Southeastern, GTR, GTR, GTR, oh and GTR.

I would tread carefully if it's an obvious error, especially so if you're uncomfortable with the idea of being challenged/accused/drawn into a potential conflict and asked to pay for a new ticket etc.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I doubt very much if one of the operators would accept part of the journey as it be quicker to go from G to B on a direct train.
They will accept it; there is no rule forcing passengers to take the quickest journey. Contract law and consumer law does apply and is on your side. The National Rail website agrees itineraries will be honoured.
My question is do operators have to allow the set itinerary even though it is stupid for most rational thinkers (but not me I would love to do it- 24 hours and 4 minutes).
I would not make such admissions; it does you no favours. I would simply say the route appears to be permitted because an itinerary is given. Not everyone wants to take the fastest route from origin to destination everyday. People may wish to visit two or more places in the same day; this is not in any way irrational! Car drivers do this without having their rational thinking questioned so why should we be treated like 2nd class citizens?
Would this journey be printed on a set of tickets or just one?

If I put the journey on here might it disappear?
Each portion of a return ticket prints on one coupon. Each reservation prints on one coupon.

For Advance tickets printed in the new format, up to ~3 reservations can also be included on the ticket.

If an anomaly is posted, then it will be scrutinised by the train companies, and it is then at risk of being withdrawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.