• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
What a waste of everyone's time and money, not to mention anyone who missed out in favour of this person.

Nobody has "missed out"; they've declined the job offer and it will go to the next in line. It's certainly rare to turn down a driver role, but it is the individual's choice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yfg132

Imo everyone deals with sleep differently, I get 5-6 hours a night when at work or off and it's ideal for me and all I need to consider myself fully rested. However not every one can run on that and if I say needed 8 hours I'd really struggle.

kickin aff

No this isn't a wind up.

Why is it a waste?
Surely the tests and interviews are designed so both the employee and employer knows what's expected of them in this role?

I carried out approximately 35-40 hours of studying for the tests and interviews, it's something I was genuinely interested in.
You yourself said on post #15 of this thread - The thing with this job is you've got to really want it.

I'm not a rail enthusiast, it would only ever be a job to me, I have hobbies and interests which will always be more important to me than any job. I work to live not the other way round. Yes I thought I could make the shifts work but looking into it sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side.

I currently work shifts however they are 0800-1800 X2
1800 - 0800 X2
96 hours off.
Do this 7 times and then get 18 days off.

Pay would have been £15k more (pre tax). And I decided that my current lifestyle v pay was better than what the railway offered as a driver.

This was a very hard conclusion to come to and yes I hope I've not taken away this position from anyone else.

As previously said, thanks again for all the replies, advice, opinions and comments. Absolutely no disrespect to anyone embarking on this as a career or already in this job.
Firefighter then?

Class2ldn

We have load of ex firefighters and I've got to say I cant recall 1 saying they've ever regretted the move

Yfg132

Also you have to remeber not a lot of people would openly admit they made the wrong decision. I've known people who said they made the right move and then when they got another job said they were bluffing to convince themselves. I'm sure the OP has weighed up every single situation and is clearly switched on to be offered such a position.

Class2ldn

As long as they enjoy their job then good luck to them, I've worked for the emergency services and its definitely not something I'd go back to.
Let's hope they don't regret it.

As long as they enjoy their job then good luck to them, I've worked for the emergency services and its definitely not something I'd go back to.
Let's hope they don't regret it.
Thanks for your concern .
I'll explain to you where I see the benefits and maybe you could shed some light on why you think the railway offers a better package...

As explained earlier my main priority in life is family time and health.

I personally think the shifts I'm currently on are better (less sleep disruptive) than what ScotRail offers drivers. I have fixed start/finish times and a predictable pattern which means i can predict what I'll be working not just for the rest of the year but next year and the year after if I stay on my current watch.
While at work (10 hour day shift) on average I'll have a minimum (yes minimum!) of 3 hours a day of meal/coffee breaks, gym time and a 30min nap. On a night shift we only go to emergency calls, someone will cook everyone dinner, I'll go to the gym and have a bed which we can sleep in between 11pm and 7am, (50% of night shifts on average receive under 2 calls).

I joined early and I'm at watch commander rank, I can retire at 55 (20 years away) with a £100k+ lump sum and £23k/year @ my current rank. (I want to retire as early as possible).
I work 4 weekend day shifts every 10 weeks and 4 weekend nights every 10 weeks.

My child care drop offs/pick ups are predictable and consistent.

I currently cycle to work (4 miles away) which takes 15 minutes, the depot I would be working from is 12 miles away, yes I could cycle but not for a 3-5am start.

I can't be recalled to duty, I very rarely need to sleep during the day (usually get enough at work).

Despite all these benefits and being totally honest, the railway still appeals to me, (I like traveling, i think I would enjoy it) I'm bored in my current job, the change and new challenge appeals to me but I've come to the conclusion a job as a driver would interfere with my priorities (family and health) more than my current job.

I do wish I was satisfied and enjoyed my job, but I need to remember it's only a job, and probably my best means to an end (early retirement).

Yfg132

I'll explain to you where I see the benefits and maybe you could shed some light on why you think the railway offers a better package...

I personally think the shifts I'm currently on are better (less sleep disruptive) than what ScotRail offers drivers. I have fixed start/finish times and a predictable pattern which means i can predict what I'll be working not just for the rest of the year but next year and the year after if I stay on my current watch.
While at work (10 hour day shift) on average I'll have a minimum (yes minimum!) of 3 hours a day of meal/coffee breaks, gym time and a 30min nap. On a night shift we only go to emergency calls, someone will cook everyone dinner, I'll go to the gym and have a bed which we can sleep in between 11pm and 7am, (50% of night shifts on average receive under 2 calls).

I joined early and I'm at watch commander rank, I can retire at 55 (20 years away) with a £100k+ lump sum and £23k/year @ my current rank. (I want to retire as early as possible).

I currently cycle to work (4 miles away) which takes 15 minutes, the depot I would be working from is 12 miles away, yes I could cycle but not for a 3-5am start.

I can't be recalled to duty, I very rarely need to sleep during the day (usually get enough at work).

Despite all these benefits and being totally honest, the railway still appeals to me, (I like traveling, i think I would enjoy it) I'm bored in my current job, the change and new challenge appeals to me but I've come to the conclusion a job as a driver would interfere with my priorities (family and health) more than my current job.

I do wish I was satisfied and enjoyed my job, but I need to remember it's only a job, and probably my best means to an end (early retirement).
It's sounds like you have it very well and a good balance at work, specially being able to sleep, train and I bet there's great comradeship and freinds along side you. Early retirement is a blessing as too many work for to long imo focusing on money rather than life itself specially when shift work affects your health! Your short commute is another massive bonus and planning your life well in advance, you may be bored now but as a driver myself of 5 years.. It gets boring too! Sometimes it's better the devil you know. Many become drivers because of the salary and if they were paid similar in other roles of work, they wouldn't be as many people wanting to become drivers, there is more to life than money.. Would it much of a pay jump from your current role may I ask? As sometimes say if its 10-15k by the time you deduct tax NI etc it's less than half of that take home and as previously said being able to retire then is a HUGE benefit and you could maybe get a little part time job (if needed) besides this or even join the railway then! To me it sounds like your making the right decision, which I wouldn't say too many people but your job sounds pretty cool.

Last edited:

Class2ldn

Seems like you've got a fairly decent routine there, being able to retire early is a good benefit, you can retire at 55 on the railway but you do take a big cut in pension.
I dont work for scotrail so I cant comment personally on their actual shifts, mine are currently a 3 week rotation with a 5 day long weekend every 3rd week, 4 day week and if you work Sunday its extra so for me personally I like the shifts overall.
Its always difficult to to leap to a new job and it doesn't seem like you are particularly unhappy in your job. Last year I eaemt around 79k with sundays and overtime and that wasn't particularly working a lot anyway, I do like a good work and home life balance so I certainly don't overdo it.
Not sure how that compares to your current wage but its also not all about the money but it is something to consider

kickin aff

Seems like you've got a fairly decent routine there, being able to retire early is a good benefit, you can retire at 55 on the railway but you do take a big cut in pension.
I dont work for scotrail so I cant comment personally on their actual shifts, mine are currently a 3 week rotation with a 5 day long weekend every 3rd week, 4 day week and if you work Sunday its extra so for me personally I like the shifts overall.
Its always difficult to to leap to a new job and it doesn't seem like you are particularly unhappy in your job. Last year I eaemt around 79k with sundays and overtime and that wasn't particularly working a lot anyway, I do like a good work and home life balance so I certainly don't overdo it.
Not sure how that compares to your current wage but its also not all about the money but it is something to consider
In ScotRail we do the same shift pattern.

Shunted

I’ve enjoyed reading this thread and different peoples views on shift work and what they consider to be right for them.
Having spent 23 years in the forces, just the shear thought of going home to your own house and bed where your family are on top of a very good wage at the end of any kind of shift was a no brainer!
Having once done 7 weeks of 8 hours on - 8 hours off with no days off and sleeping in a make shift bunk tends to make you appreciate homely luxury

Established Member
I’ve enjoyed reading this thread and different peoples views on shift work and what they consider to be right for them.
Having spent 23 years in the forces, just the shear thought of going home to your own house and bed where your family are on top of a very good wage at the end of any kind of shift was a no brainer!
Having once done 7 weeks of 8 hours on - 8 hours off with no days off and sleeping in a make shift bunk tends to make you appreciate homely luxury

Submarines by any chance?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@Worththesqueez
Is firefighting a hazardous job, or is it perhaps rather safer than many other jobs?

When you think how many applicants are turned down by employers, I think applicants turning down job offers is ok. I did it twice at least and did not regret it.

Yfg132

Who do you work for? Wish we had over time the last year with covid etc and seems to have just dried up now anyway.. Sadly. I'm with tpe.

Not sure how that compares to your current wage
That wage is considerably more than my salary. I make £40k before overtime (which I don't do unless delayed at incident).
My wife has a 6 figure salary and we're mortgage free in a £600k house so I'm not overly concerned about money.

Is firefighting a hazardous job, or is it perhaps rather safer than many other jobs?
Depends on what you class as dangerous... 99 times out of 100 I'm the incident commander so stand outside and make the decisions for a safe area. However, firefighters are 4 times more likely to die from cancer, I'll be included in this statistic.

All emergency services in Scotland are run by the Scottish government, and now ScotRail.
I've seen lots of changes and cuts to the fire/police service in the last 6years. I've managed to change position a couple times so the changes don't impact me personally, I'm not saying they same will happen with ScotRail but (without making this political) the government seem set on pushing "popular/competitive" jobs to the edge because they never struggle with recruitment.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
In my teens and early 20s (until age 23) I worked shifts. 4 of 07.00 -14.00 then 48 hours off. 4 Shifts of 14.00 -22.30 then 48 hours off. 4 shifts of 22.30 - 07.00 followed by 48 hours off. Rinse and repeat. One ring shift per month because the above schedule gave 42 hours. Nobody could be forced to work a ring shift. Either accumulate for time off or get paid overtime for it. Not sure if this shift pattern could work for railways.

I am now in my 60s and definitely could not do it. Glad I did not do them when raising my kids either.

Shifts are a young person's game. (imho).

Last edited:

HL7

Can’t wait to see what Boris has to say about this. He’s happy to hammer railway workers for the audacity of having walking time to and from PnBs so he’ll probably get laid into the fire service for stuff Like this.

I wonder if we’ll hear him going on about Spanish practices when he finds out about gyms and beds in fire stations.

kickin aff

Can’t wait to see what Boris has to say about this. He’s happy to hammer railway workers for the audacity of having walking time to and from PnBs so he’ll probably get laid into the fire service for stuff Like this.

I wonder if we’ll hear him going on about Spanish practices when he finds out about gyms and beds in fire stations.
The OP works in Scotland. Don't think Boris has any jurisdiction over this.

GemGem

I’m a full time working mum and actually enjoy the shifts. I go to bed when my children go to bed for an early and I drop them at school then go back to bed if I’m on lates. It does work but I think you have to be the right sort of person. I’ve always done shift work so I’m used to it. I get the best of both worlds. Home early enough to pick them up or start late enough to take them to school then come home and rest. The rosters mean you know what you are doing for the next 6 months so can plan childcare even on AO turns I just give myself the 2 hours flexibility when booking either breakfast or after school club. I don’t feel I miss out on much personally as I’m always around at some point in the day.

philly1001

I do wish I was satisfied and enjoyed my job, but I need to remember it's only a job, and probably my best means to an end (early retirement)id never

Its just a job. at the end of the day if your lifestyle and routine don`t agree with it you`d end up just leaving anyway. your roster and routine actually sound good and if you really wanted to you could make the money. if the railway still appeals to ya maybe you should look at the operations side of things. Rosters are usually pretty good and consistant , plenty of time off. we`ve had plenty that have come from emergency service into ops control based roles which pay equally if not more than driving. will also get you access to other aspects of the railway including sims, cab rides etc

Status
Not open for further replies.