• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the N.R.M. really child friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingScot

I was on the National Railway Museum website looking at the events when I saw that the Mallard footplate experience was adults only. It may noy matter to you lot but I'm eleven and it's got me really REALLY thrashy!:-xRespect the kids!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Presumably because there is some safety issue with it, or that the information isn't aimed at people of your age.

Established Member
H and S reasons, you can't do it even under adult supervision it's the same everywhere with driver exp days

Spagnoletti

NRM website definitely says adults... though I can't see why children would be excluded from that, it's a static exhibit. I was there before xmas with my 5 & 7 yr olds and there was no problem with them going on the footplate of Lode Star, I'm pretty sure I saw under 16's on footplate of the A4 as we were leaving as well.
I was generally disappointed with the way the diesel exhibits were effectively sidelined, no information boards for the Western and the ped, nothing explaining why one might think a Deltic is special, no rateable type 2's. Altogether too much froth over Scotsman :roll:

Established Member
Totally agree, NRM needs to do more about the diesels, im no fan of the kettles and the green machine does get too much froth over it.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I'm a EMU man myself! And I think theres a VEP there? And I hope the remaining 'Clacton' units go to the NRM (Only 2 Driving veichles left out of the orginal 4-Car sets, of 112 units).

But reading a story in the RM they let a kid in the cab of 'Mallard' with supervision of an adult, that seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:
Dont see why it should be a problem. I went to STEAM last year, and they were quite happy to have my 5 year old nephew in the cab of Caerphilly Castle whilst accompanied.

The only issue they had was when I held the regulator. 'We spent 2 hours cleaning all that' I was told.:D

Admittedly they dont often have the cab of that one open, but Evening Star always is. No restrictions there.

FlyingScot

Goes on phone to the NRM:Hey you! "I want to go on Mallard and Lode star and all the others!" "Even the 4 VEP in the yard?" "Yes, even that!"
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Altogether too much froth over Scotsman :roll:

Well, there's no froth at the moment, but at the end of the year there will be so much froth that the only colour you will see for a long time will be green. You have been warned.........<D

Darandio

Established Member
I'm a EMU man myself! And I think theres a VEP there?

Yes, and it is currently dumped outside, having to endure a day of very heavy snow conditions yesterday!

Originally Posted by FlyingScot

Well, there's no froth at the moment, but at the end of the year there will be so much froth that the only colour you will see for a long time will be green. You have been warned.........

What, they are going to have it done by the end of the year? With the miniscule amount of people working on it and no apparent work ever being done they have had to resort to installing this button to provide the illusion of work actually being done!

2rpdyyh.jpg

Crossforth

Established Member
Anybody know what they are going to do with the VEP? (I assume that is the 414 in NSE livery in the yard?)

Darandio

Established Member
There is just no pleasing some people. :roll: Perhaps they should bring back the charge.

Or, if you are feeling ripped off by not paying anything to get in, would you be happier if they paid you for the privelege?

Spagnoletti

There is just no pleasing some people. :roll: Perhaps they should bring back the charge.

Or, if you are feeling ripped off by not paying anything to get in, would you be happier if they paid you for the privelege?

Oh don't get me wrong I quite enjoyed it, notwithstanding typical crank whining about the kettle bias.
I just felt it was incumbent on me as a proper grumpy old man to point out that someone somewhere is paying for it, usually us proles :D

FlyingScot

Yes, and it is currently dumped outside, having to endure a day of very heavy snow conditions yesterday!

What, they are going to have it done by the end of the year? With the miniscule amount of people working on it and no apparent work ever being done they have had to resort to installing this button to provide the illusion of work actually being done!

2rpdyyh.jpg

Oi, That's not very nice and yes it is going to be done be the end of the year. It's not being funded very well so please, go donate now. Or else...(takes out wip)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oh yes, I know which one you mean. Are they ever going to open up either of them to the public?

Unfortunately the NRM doesn't usually allow people inside the exhibits. If you're interested in the HAP, you're best bet would be to visit one of the preserved railways with a Hampshire DEMU as internally these are basically diesel versions of HAP's. As for the VEP, I can't think of anything quite like one from inside, although the Bluebell Railway does now have the South West Trains one called "Gordon Petit" :)

fgwrich

Established Member
Which I believe is still in secure storage at Eastleigh Works enjoying the hospitality of Knights Rail Services.

I am also sure Knights Rail Services own 4-CIG 1881?

Yes & Yes

Although the Cig is currently sat outside, whilst 'Gordon' is back inside...ironicly not that far from the Swanages 108 (undergoing a repaint into green :( )

Images from Carl Watson here:

http://carl-watson.fotopic.net/

The Yard is also currently abit full...thanks to twenty odd bogie tankers arriving recently...

As for the NRM - Id also like to see more emphasis on the diesels there! i had a look with my family in 2008 and id go as far as to say that i found the station next door more interesting than some parts of the museum!

As for 'Flying Scotsman' - If there was such a perfect phrase to go with it, then feel free - Talk about pouring money down the drain though! - And im not the only one to agree that, im far from liking kettles, but thats something even my father agrees with, and boy does he like the Southern!

And what does the Bullet train have to do with British Railways?

Last edited:

CosherB

Established Member
Why would anyone want to go onboard an EMU? It's just like a BR Mk1 or 2 - lots of seats and luggage racks! Booooring!

I agree about the Bullet train. It has nothing to do with the history of our national railways and should be thrown out. Why was it ever included in the collection?

A new Director has just taken over at NRM; Steve Davies, formerly of MoSI in Manchester, where he did great things for the railway side of that museum as well as great things for MoSI generally. It's great that a true railway enthusiast will be running the NRM!

Crossforth

Established Member
It's more I would just like to get up close to it as currently (last time I went) you can't/couldn't

12CSVT

Established Member
Presumably because there is some safety issue with it, or that the information isn't aimed at people of your age.

A couple of years ago my niece (then 3 years old) spend just about half a day 'cabbing' some of the kettles at Darlington Railway Museum and there wasn't a single issue about health & safety.
I suppose the NRM are probably paranoid about having to fill in about 200 forms every time somebody does as much as cut a finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.