• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there a list or map of Foot crossings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a boy there was a foot crossing near my house. Today I went with on a walk with my toddler and on the map of the park it listed that there was a foot crossing to the ajoining rail line. Unfortunatly when we arrived it had been closed for at least a year. I would love to go visit one. Does anyone know if there is a list or map?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
All here:

Well that really is the perfect answer to the OP's question! A novel thing to play with too. I'm rather surprised to see such a user friendly tool like that exists on the public site, as it doesn't really seem to serve much of a purpose, other than answering a rather niche question like the OP's! :lol:

Mikey C

Established Member
A good map, though it doesn't separate out foot only level crossings

You can find them in 2 locations in London for example. One is on the freight branch in SE London near Westbourne Park station. The others are on the Romford to Upminster Overground Line (the second Geoff Marshall video corrects the 1st one and shows these!)

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Well that really is the perfect answer to the OP's question! A novel thing to play with too. I'm rather surprised to see such a user friendly tool like that exists on the public site, as it doesn't really seem to serve much of a purpose, other than answering a rather niche question like the OP's! :lol:

You can download something very similar onto a Garmin SatNav.

Jim Jehosofat

You can find them in 2 locations in London for example. One is on the freight branch in SE London near Westbourne Park station. The others are on the Romford to Upminster Overground Line (the second Geoff Marshall video corrects the 1st one and shows these!)
Its Westcombe Park station, I think a foot crossing at Westbourne Park station would be fraught with difficulty with the mixture of London Transport and National Rail lines in that location!

vlad

That's an interesting map in that it shows that some lines can practically be traced on the map by where the level crossings are, whereas other lines are hardly visible.

I know of several level crossings that have been removed, however. These are all on faster lines and have presumably been removed precisely for that reason; as such those on slower lines remain as it's not quite so important for them to go quickly.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That's an interesting map in that it shows that some lines can practically be traced on the map by where the level crossings are, whereas other lines are hardly visible.

I know of several level crossings that have been removed, however. These are all on faster lines and have presumably been removed precisely for that reason; as such those on slower lines remain as it's not quite so important for them to go quickly.

Lots have been removed on slower lines. I’ve done dozens myself.

mirodo

There are others in London.

Mikey C

Established Member
There are others in London.
I never knew there was one in Enfield, I've been very near there as there's an underpass under the railway not far from where the foot crossing is!

geoffk

Established Member
I remember being told by a former railway employee that he was asked to replace the term "barrow crossing" with "foot crossing" in a document. He decided to do a "search and replace". All went well until, some time later, he found there were three stations named Foot-in-Furness, Foot Haven and Foot-on-Soar.

Status
Not open for further replies.