• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there a TOC that doesn't meet XC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama

Established Member
It was indeed, I wasn't aware the name was used in Anglia too though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Yes, London Overground existed since November 2007.

The current CrossCountry franchise also started November 2007 and operated Brighton services via Kenny O until December 2008. So they used to meet.
I meant Merseyrail at Lime Street.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Alphaline was under BR used for many 'Express' routes inc North West/-Anglia. It meant the train had catering, payphone & air-conditioning. Basically just a 158. I think it was dropped over time by all but South Wales & West, later just Wales & West then Wessex.

Trains with payphones! I remember them, cutting edge technology, it was like magic, using a phone on the move!!

Llama

Established Member
Wasn't it something like £2 connection charge and £1 per minute though? And phonecards!

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Wasn't it something like £2 connection charge and £1 per minute though? And phonecards!

Oh yeah, useless and expensive. But still magic! I never used one, but I do remember thinking it was wonderful that such technology existed. Of course, internet wasn't a thing back then either.

Lockwood

Philosophically, XC?
Can XC meet XC if it is XC? Can you truly meet yourself or merely be yourself?

Ploughman

Established Member
Is the NYMR classed as a TOC for its services to Whitby?
Or Swanage Railway to Wareham?
North Norfolk Railway Sheringham to Cromer?

Isle of Man Steam railway, Snaefell Mountain and Manx Electric Railway owned and operated by the IOM Government

pdeaves

Established Member
Is the NYMR classed as a TOC for its services to Whitby?
Or Swanage Railway to Wareham?
North Norfolk Railway Sheringham to Cromer?
NYMR is an 'open access' operator of timetabled services like Grand Central is, so yes, it should count. NYMR actually operates the Cromer service, too (on behalf of NNR). The Swanage Railway hasn't run its own trains yet and I think those trains that have run counted as charters rather than 'open access' in that way.

Isle of Man Steam railway, Snaefell Mountain and Manx Electric Railway owned and operated by the IOM Government
Plenty of foreign operators don't meet XC anywhere! :D

Ploughman

Established Member
NYMR is an 'open access' operator of timetabled services like Grand Central is, so yes, it should count. NYMR actually operates the Cromer service, too (on behalf of NNR). The Swanage Railway hasn't run its own trains yet and I think those trains that have run counted as charters rather than 'open access' in that way.

Plenty of foreign operators don't meet XC anywhere! :D
My reasoning for the IOM was that if Isle of Wight is allowed then why not the IOM?

Glenn1969

Established Member
On RTT the Swanage to Wareham Sunday shuttle is listed as a West Coast Railway Company (WR) service. Do they meet XC in any of their operations?

A Challenge

Established Member
On RTT the Swanage to Wareham Sunday shuttle is listed as a West Coast Railway Company (WR) service. Do they meet XC in any of their operations?
When I went to Minehead on a charter lat year, it was listed as WR and stopped at Taunton and Reading if that counts?

GarethC

My reasoning for the IOM was that if Isle of Wight is allowed then why not the IOM?

The Isle of Man differs in that it isn't part of the United Kingdom but is a separate Crown Dependency... the Isle of Wight is part of England, in the UK.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I believe XC used to have a service from the North of England to Brighton? That would have meant that XC met all of the GTR brands except Great Northern

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I believe XC used to have a service from the North of England to Brighton? That would have meant that XC met all of the GTR brands except Great Northern

It did. Originally "direct" via West Coast and branching off at Willesden and changing from electric loco to diesel loco there, and onward via Kensington Olympia . In latter years it went via Birmingham.

Status
Not open for further replies.