• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there an easy way to calculate this road mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

I want to try calculating approximately how many litres of fuel would be needed for one continuous journey - using the M1 and M621 - from the Asda store in Park Royal (North West London) to Belle Isle Circus which is to the south of Leeds City Centre and very close to the M621 itself.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Let me Google that for you. 190.7 miles.

As for how many litres of fuel, you need to know for your car how many miles your car will travel for each litre of fuel it burns. You can use the figures from your car manufacturer as a rough guide (it will probably be in mpg, you need to convert it to miles/litre), but it's better to calculate it for yourself as it takes into account your specific vehicle and your own driving style.

Established Member
It depends very much on the car and how it's driven.

If I were to drive that journey in my Polo away from peak times, I'd expect to use around 18-19 litres.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Can you be sure Google Maps isn't measuring the straight line distance? Try putting it in the AA route planner instead - but pay no attention to the journey duration the AA site will give you as it assumes ideal driving conditions with no traffic and every light on green. Distance should be very accurate though.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can you be sure Google Maps isn't measuring the straight line distance? Try putting it in the AA route planner instead - but pay no attention to the journey duration the AA site will give you as it assumes ideal driving conditions with no traffic and every light on green. Distance should be very accurate though.

No if google maps is giving you driving directions the mileage will be correct not just the straight line distance.

Domh245

Established Member

Quite sure, when you go into the directions option within Google Maps, it will show the intended route in blue, and alternatives in grey. As of typing, the journey in question is 191 miles, and could be driven in 3 hours 41 minutes with current traffic conditions (3 hours 8 minutes without traffic). Going M1 - A46 - A1(M) - M62 is 202 miles, yet only 8 minutes slower!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
No if google maps is giving you driving directions the mileage will be correct not just the straight line distance.

Just checked it; 0.4 miles difference between the two sites. ( Never used Google Maps as a route planner as such - only to manually check my own proposed routes )

341o2

Established Member
I'd agree with the AA journey planner. I find this on eBay, where I often search for items, because of their size "collection only" and am currently interested in an item for sale Cowes IOW.. Item shown as being 15 miles from home, AA journey planner gives 19.7 miles

Established Member
eBay just gives the distance as the crow flies.
When I'm looking at cars on there, it often lists cars in Burntisland as being 5 miles away, but it's a 20 mile drive there via the Forth road bridge.

Harlesden

Thanks for the replies gents. Got a much better idea now. Makes me think that VTEC's January Sale fiver each way to Leeds was a great bargain, but someone wants to drive me on my next trip - for the motorway experience

Status
Not open for further replies.