• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there any news regarding a Class 483 train being preserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I read in one of the railway magazines that there was a proposal to preserve one of the 483 units. Does anyone know whether there's anything in this?
as in preserve on the island? I guess it depends if someone is paying. LT Museum have a 4-car unit of 38 Stock in far better condition!

as in preserve on the island? I guess it depends if someone is paying. LT Museum have a 4-car unit of 38 Stock in far better condition!
Not on the Island, no. The suggestion was that it could be converted to battery power and run on a heritage railway such as the Eppng Ongar line. I think that someone was going to set up a funding scheme.

Did I also read somewhere that SWR were happy to give them away to preservationists?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Edit: trying to post a link and quote an article doesn't work well on mobile! But there's confirmation of Epping-Ongar

trainmania100

Established Member
Weren't the island of wight steam railway interested in preserving one ? Or am I imagining things?

alexl92

Established Member
One for the Epping-Ongar Railway which is intended to be converted to battery power and made available for hire to other heritage lines, and apparently the other to the IOWSR for display in their museum.

Chris125

Established Member
Weren't the island of wight steam railway interested in preserving one ? Or am I imagining things?

Correct, and it's supposedly been confirmed in a newsletter though I've not seen it myself. Another is believed to be heading to the Bembridge bay at Brading for display.

richardlong

Mothball

I'm going off the assumptions widely alleged that 007 will go to IWSR and the Epping group get 006, it would seem logical to swap that in my view, the Epping group have made it clear they intend to try and operate there unit under battery power and with the extensive work 007 has received it would be a shame to see it become a static display as the wording in the newsletter suggests.

DelW

Established Member
I'm going off the assumptions widely alleged that 007 will go to IWSR and the Epping group get 006, it would seem logical to swap that in my view, the Epping group have made it clear they intend to try and operate there unit under battery power and with the extensive work 007 has received it would be a shame to see it become a static display as the wording in the newsletter suggests.
I can see the argument there, but there is a possible contrary one. A unit (or loco) in service gradually becomes less and less authentic as parts are repaired or replaced. With 007 in the IoWSR museum fleet, it will act as a permanent reference example in ex-works-overhaul condition. For the same reason I've never been in favour of re-steaming 6235 City of Birmingham, which is similarly in ex-main-line-service condition, when there are two other Duchesses available which have been through Butlin's display and several preservation era overhauls.

I'm not saying that reasoning is necessarily better than yours, just that it's an alternative viewpoint.

IWSR Steve

Please be assured that it is the IWSR's intention to keep the 483 unit in working order, and able to run on the line. Initially the unit will be housed undercover in our Train Story Discovery Centre where it will have full public access with interpretation telling the story of the electric era on the Island. This will ensure that it stays in excellent condition while we evaluate the best way of powering it away from the third rail. We expect that it will be a popular addition, and that, in time, our visitors will be able to enjoy travelling aboard a 483 on the Island once again.

We have recently taken delivery of several pallets of spare parts, with half being stored for the LTTG. We have a good working relationship with the LTTG and wish them every success with their project.

Last edited:

Mack91

That's great to hear! I think it's more than appropriate that such a significant era of the IoW's railway history is kept on the island.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Please be assured that it is the IWSR's intention to keep the 483 unit in working order, and able to run on the line. Initially the unit will be housed undercover in our Train Story Discovery Centre where it will have full public access with interpretation telling the story of the electric era on the Island. This will ensure that it stays in excellent condition while we evaluate the best way of powering it away from the third rail. We expect that it will be a popular addition, and that, in time, our visitors will be able to enjoy travelling aboard a 483 on the Island once again.

We have recently taken delivery of several pallets of spare parts, with half being stored for the LTTG. We have a good working relationship with the LTTG and wish them every success with their project.
Welcome to the forum Steve and thanks for the information.

DelW

Established Member

That sounds excellent. In normal times I visit the line once or twice a year, and it will be good to see 007 there whether static or running in some way. I can just about remember riding on the "standard" stock, but it's really the 1938s that I associate with the Island Line (as well as their last days on the Bakerloo). They're amazing survivors.

It might be the first time ever that a heritage line has received an electric unit straight out of service, that is older than much of the steam fleet!

WesternLancer

Established Member

V pleased that a unit is staying on the Island (great shame the previous electric trains did not have an example saved on the Island IMHO - I guess ISWR was not in a position to achieve that at the time they were replaced) - and I guess also down to the HLF part funded discovery centre to help make that possible with indoor storage possible. V nice to know.

ISWR is one of my favorite preserved lines with superbly restored rolling stock that is a pleasure to see and ride in. So this is great news. I do hope I can visit again before long. Good luck with all your work in these difficult times.

richardlong

That’s great to hear - thanks for the info!

lttgroup

Multiple locations across former NSE territory!
As Steve mentions, our respective organisations have a good working relationship and we realise that the IoWSR is the best home for 483007 to go to. There it will be stored undercover and will not be liable to be affected by the weather, as 483006 will be when she first moves to the EOR. As we intend repainting and making other minor, largely reversible, cosmetic changes to our unit to make it better suit the ex-LU environment of the EOR we feel that it is important that a Class 483 unit remains on the Island and preserved in Island condition.

483006 is in reasonably good condition and is currently being returned to service at Ryde so it is the ideal candidate for us, we feel, and we look forward to being able to see it run from a battery supply in preservation.

Hopefully, some day, the two units will meet again in preservation at a gala, although this is obviously a very long way down the line (and subject to the IoWSR being willing to have us! ;))

Chris125

Established Member
Please be assured that it is the IWSR's intention to keep the 483 unit in working order, and able to run on the line.

This is great news, but are the guys at Ryde aware that you want an operational unit? It seems 007 is at least wounded, if not dead according to recent comments and the caption of the photo below:

A Ticket to Ryde by Stapleton Road, on Flickr

1938stock

Sounds like the LTTG and IoWSR have good plans and best wishes to both in their endeavours. It is good news that 007 will be able to run on the Island, not just as a static exhibit, and 006 will be a great addition to the EOR.
I had hoped to get over to the line this weekend but this looks difficult in Tier 4 and the running has been patchy, not just because of the rolling stock but lineside issues also.
Does anyone know whether there will be a commemorative last run for the 483s
on the Island Line after re-opening, before they go to their new homes, or whether they will be used in revenue earning service again briefly after the blockade as apparently only one 484 is currently on the line?

AndyW33

The 483s cannot be used in passenger service after the blockade. One of the major objectives of the blockade is to raise the platform heights at Esplanade and Pier Head (and lower the track heights at other stations). This is to permit level boarding for 484 units, whereas at the moment the platforms are more suited to the 483s with their much lower floors. It would be highly unsafe to expect passengers to board a 483 with a very big step down (or a very big step up when alighting). Anyone who has seen the island platforms on London Underground between Hammersmith and Acton Town, where Piccadilly Line tube stock uses one face and District Line sub-surface stock the other will know that despite the platforms being laid out at a compromise height, there is always a step involved on both sorts of stock. Double that step on the IOW, because there's no compromise height, and then try and use a baby buggy!

Last edited:

1938stock

The 483s cannot be used in passenger service after the blockade. One of the major objectives of the blockade is to raise the platform heights at Esplanade and Pier Head (and lower the track heights at other stations). This is to permit level boarding for 484 units, whereas at the moment the platforms are more suited to the 483s with their much lower floors. It would be highly unsafe to expect passengers to board a 483 with a very big step down (or a very big step up when alighting). Anyone who has seen the island platforms on London Underground between Hammersmith and Acton Town, where Piccadilly Line tube stock uses one face and District Line sub-surface stock the other will know that despite the platforms being laid out at a compromise height, there is always a step involved on both sorts of stock. Double that step on the IOW, because there's no compromise height, and then try and use a baby buggy!
Many thanks for your reply. It was indeed the Heathrow branch of the Piccadilly Line from Acton Town I was thinking of. The difference in platform height is considerable at several stations on a line which has not seen a regular surface stock service for about 60 years. I didn't realise that the difference on the Island Line would be double that.
On my last visit to the line in July I did help a lady with a buggy over the Ryde St Johns footbridge (not easy) and I do appreciate that the line is for the locals rather than enthusiasts. Not having been able to visit the line more recently ( there is no service today anyway) I had hoped that there might be a special where the doors don't open as on the LU special runs of the 38TS but this would be difficult in these Covid times. It's great that 006 and 007 have found good homes and I am sure that those involved are very much looking forward to receiving them.

Last edited:

VEP3417

its a shame there will be no last event to say goodbye but then again...i suppose theres not much you can do during a pandemic,,,

hopefully a few local people take loads of pics and videos of the last day ect and post them up, and even pics of them being removed/taken away

i guess they would go by boat in the portsmouth direction rather than lymington?

1938stock

The 483s finish on Sunday and will be removed during the blockade. Unless I hear otherwise from SWR in meantime, this is what stands.
Hi and thanks for your reply. It is good to have confirmation and I asked for the reasons detailed in my previous post. I will look forward to travelling on both 006 and 007 after the inevitable gap in service whilst they are prepared at their new homes. Hopefully this will be shorter than the 2 or so year hiatus after their withdrawal on LU and their new life as Class 483 but these things take time.

341o2

Established Member
its a shame there will be no last event to say goodbye but then again...i suppose theres not much you can do during a pandemic,,,

hopefully a few local people take loads of pics and videos of the last day ect and post them up, and even pics of them being removed/taken away

i guess they would go by boat in the portsmouth direction rather than lymington?
It would appear that the last 483 has already run. No trains between Ryde and Shanklin on the 29 and 30 Dec, and now "no trains until further notice" today (National rail enquiries) Quote

Incident 29/12/2020 06:35 Last updated 31/12/2020 05:46 Route affected
DownloadMapof route affected
Between Ryde Pier Head and Shanklin

TOC(s) affectedIsland Line;Description
A fault on a train which runs between Ryde Pier Head and Shanklin means trains are currently unable to run between these stations. A bus service is in operation. This is expected to continue until further notice.

Additional information:

From Monday 4 January, the Island Line will be closed for 3 months as part of a major £26m upgrade. Therefore, a bus replacement service will be in use during this time as we test the new trains and improve the network as we upgrade stations and rail infrastructure.

I too, wanted a last ride on a 483, but inadvisible due to lockdown, especially having said a few things myself about those flouting lockdown rules.
Only essential travel allowed, a reduced ferry service,and having gone from Tier 1 to 4 in a matter of days,many Islanders are blaming visitors for the situation.

As for platform heights, how things have changed. Anyone else remember the Bakerloo sharing the tracks and platforms with the Euston electrics to Watford Junction?

Last edited:

On Moderation
As for platform heights, how things have changed. Anyone else remember the Bakerloo sharing the tracks and platforms with the Euston electrics to Watford Junction?
They still do north of Queens Park, to Harrow & Wealdstone. Quite a step down into the 72 tube stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.