• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there likely to be a Valenta HST farewell tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony263

Established Member
It has been reported on the WNXX forum that today is the last day of service for 43123 before it goes off to be fitted with a mtu engine. Should be on the `16:50 Kings Cross - Sunderland if anyone wants to get some final photos/videos of it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
I took it this morning from York to Sunderland on the 10:14 and back on the 12:30. I've just got back now, and it was a great but rather sad trip. Glad I didn't wait for the railtour!

anthony263

Established Member
I dont get any infor til about 14:00 this afternoon about this so there wasnt enough time for me to get from cardiff to London to film it. I f i had known yesterday i might i gone on it from London to Sunderland and back.

4SRKT

Established Member
A lot of people have been caught unawares by this. The general view seems to have been that tomorrow would be the last day. I asked the guard this morning what the story was and he told me. I then started texting the gen around in a hurry. By the time 1A62 got to York at 14:08 there were a few more bashers waiting to get on, but I'd say the key train will be the 16:50 off the Cross tonight.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I will be on the 1844 from York tonight, which as anthony263 says is reportedly the last working :( I will be on 123 tomorrow if today is not the last day.

anthony263

Established Member
This is the proposed route that the railtour would have gone if it went ahead:

Newcastle - York - Leeds - S&C - Carlisle - Dumfries - Kilmarnock

This i think would have been good especially with some snow about. Sadly i am dissapointed that it couldnt go head

I have been on the phone to one of my freinds who has been at york today and he said that the powercars were due to be sent off tommorow so today is looking like it is the last day for 43123

4SRKT

Established Member
Today IS the last working. The guard told me this morning when I asked him on the 10:14 off York. 084 and 123 are off to be neutered tomorrow.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(takes deep breath)

O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going up to York tomorrow! I want a Valenta tomorrow! :cry:

garnon

WNXX reporting that GC are indeed looking to provide a farewell trip between Newcastle and York

anthony263

Established Member
Looks like a possible farewell special will be operated on wednesday 22nd december , with the set shuttling between York & Sunderland. More information soon on grand centrals website according to reports on WNXX

4SRKT

Established Member
This is what it says on the GC website:

The Last Valenta Power Cars

We are aware that as we operate the last two High Speed Train Power Cars in the country (maybe even in the world) to have the original Paxman Valenta power units, that before they go off to be re-engined rail fans would like us to plan a farewell trip with them. We have been planning various possible options for this but cannot hit on a date or itinerary yet because we do not know when the two Power Cars (43084 and 43123) are going to have to be input to the refurbishment plant. In effect we need this date and will then work backwards to a date for any special run. It also depends on whether the HST set coming out of the refurbishment plant needs any rectification or post Works exam before entering passenger use and therefore releasing the last two Power Cars, not to mention weather and the relative health of the last two Power Cars.

When we can firm up a date and a schedule with our industry partners, we will post the details on this page.

Update

43084 has suffered with major power unit failure and is no longer available for use. This means the plan that we were working towards for a farewell run with the last two Valenta power cars cannot now be achieved.

We are looking at trying to run a local farewell trip next week, depending on:

•Availability of the remaining power car 43123;
•Traincrew resources & paths to run not only any Farewell Special but also for the transit move of the HST set from Heaton Depot to Kilmarnock & onward to Loughborough;
•Deadline for logistically undertaking the above mentioned transit move;
•Weather Conditions

The chances of us pulling this off are rated no greater than 50:50.

43123 is currently in traffic. Barring failure, it is expected to remain in traffic Friday & Saturday, but please bear in mind that the trains will be very busy due to the pre-Christmas rush + snow is forecast for Saturday.

Thankyou for your patience.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
So we know for a fact that 43084 will be off to become 43484 so that just leaves 43123 and the last time I checked, that was tag teaming with 43468

Oh well, one to go and I get to see it tomorrow (hopefully)

4SRKT

Established Member
So we know for a fact that 43084 will be off to become 43484 so that just leaves 43123 and the last time I checked, that was tag teaming with 43468

Oh well, one to go and I get to see it tomorrow (hopefully)

It's overnighting at Heaton tonight, so if it's out it'll be on 06:53 Sund > KX and 11:27 return. If it's not working on Sunday I doubt it'll be on 17:30 Sund > KX, so that part of the diagram will likely be a 180.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It shouldbe out Saturday / Sunday I am told
Plus maybe a farewell next week

4SRKT

Established Member
Pictures, videos, I'll even ask if we can get a Valenta two tone and see if it does a double clag again!

Shame! Get a ride: it's yr last chance FFS! You'll regret it if you don't. Just go to Thirsk or Northallerton if you don't want to hang around for hours in Sunderland and can stomach 185s.

4SRKT

Established Member
Balls to kettles! This is the last Valenta on (possibly) its last day of service trains! What's the matter with you man?

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Balls to kettles! This is the last Valenta on (possibly) its last day of service trains! What's the matter with you man?

One thing you need to know about me sir is that when I have made my mind up, I am not going to be shifted. I am as stubborn as Bittern when people say she starts fires!

Besides, my brother just said that it might be running on the 22nd! And he is off work! And I am off work!

Brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.