• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there likely to be a Valenta HST farewell tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There were a couple of Valentas on EMT some time back but they were taken out of service.

Class 33

Established Member
Updated Saturday 18th December.

43084 has suffered with major power unit failure and is no longer available for use. This means the plan that we were working towards for a farewell run with the last two Valenta power cars cannot now be achieved.

It is planned for 43123 to be in traffic Sat & Sun, working off Heaton Depot on Saturday morning and will be part of the following services: 06.53 Sunderland to London Kings Cross, 11:27 London Kings Cross to Sunderland, 17:30 Sunderland to London Kings Cross. Sunday 19th December, 43123 will be working the following services: 09:07 London Kings Cross to Sunderland, 13:42 Sunderland to London Kings Cross, 18:20 London Kings Cross to Sunderland.

We are hoping to organise some nonstop farewell shuttles (two each way) between Sunderland & York on Wednesday 22nd. Times & final arrangements are yet to be confirmed. Special fares will apply on these trains, namely £25 Standard Single or £50 First Single per leg between Sunderland & York or vice versa. No concessions. Due to timescales it will be “Pay On The Train” on the day. These arrangements are however subject to alteration at short notice, but we will do our best to update this section of the website accordingly.

Very sad that there will be no proper farewell tour after all. Impossible to travel tomorrow myself for the last in service trains. And likewise for Wednesday 22nd for the Sunderland-York shuttles(IF they even go ahead anyway) as it's a weekday and can't get the time off work. And this is all very short notice too. I expect lots of others who would have to travel long distance won't be able to make it as well. If only they(Grand Central) could hold out untill January and run some sort of tour/s on a weekend that would be great.

Oh well. Never mind.

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Lol looks like it was fixed on in a hurry! Bunch of slotted head self tappers, not exactly your usual locoshed level of quality! :) Mind you, we mustn't grumble i suppose!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Interesting that there seems to have been so much interest on forums regarding the final workings. It was (to me at least) always pretty obvious that the last workings were going to be some time around Christmas, so the fact the last service trains are this weekend shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone. Where was everybody that has been going on about the last workings though? Today's trip to Sunderland can't have had more than 15 or so enthusiasts on board. Is everyone just talk/type and no action?

4SRKT

Established Member
Today's trip to Sunderland can't have had more than 15 or so enthusiasts on board. Is everyone just talk/type and no action?

Really? There were only 5 on yesterday, but then that's hardly surprising. I thought you wouldn't be able to move for cameras and 'sensible clothing' today.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Really? There were only 5 on yesterday, but then that's hardly surprising. I thought you wouldn't be able to move for cameras and 'sensible clothing' today.

I too expected it to be much busier today. I think all but one or two got off at York as well on the way back to Kings Cross.

4SRKT

Established Member
I too expected it to be much busier today. I think all but one or two got off at York as well on the way back to Kings Cross.

I was tempted to go through to the blocks on Friday, but two things prevented me. One was the 16:50 being a peak train M-F and ludicrously expensive, and the other was the certainty of divorce had I told the wife I wouldn't be home till well gone 8 o'clock!

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Well, fortune that it's costing aside, i'm getting on 1N25 at KX in the morning, i thought it appropriate for the last day, and also the last journey it'll complete in full daylight! Is anyone else boarding at said terminus? Actually i'm just wondering if i'm the only one on here from "daaan saaaf" !? :)

Established Member
Fifty quid tho.........

Was planning on doing a cheapo ticket to York and getting the last one back. Wish I could have made it out yesterday and over the weekend (would have been cheaper) but other things already planned. £50 return is a bit steep, would have been happy to pay £25 for a return.

Class 33

Established Member
I think we've known for about 1 year that they were aiming at December 2010?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

You mean Paxman engined.

What I meant is that they announced those special farewell York-Sunderland shuttles just 4 days in advance of them taking place. For a farewell tour or any special runs, I was hoping details with a fixed date would be announced about a month in advance, or at worst about 2 weeks in advance, and for them to be held on a weekend rather than a weekend. This would all be useful to those of us who live nowhere near the Grand Central region, to make advance arrangements.

Even if I could get Wednesday 22nd off, at this short notice now and with the premium rate weekday fares it would cost a bomb to get up to York and back for the Sunderland trips. And then there's a risk they may not go ahead anyway.

Anyway, so be it. Unfortunately circumstances means I've had to miss out on one last ride on a Valenta HST. I hope that one day in the not too distant future, the 125 Group who own some Valenta's are able to run a railtour with them.

spark001uk

Established Member
What I meant is that they announced those special farewell York-Sunderland shuttles just 4 days in advance of them taking place. For a farewell tour or any special runs, I was hoping details with a fixed date would be announced about a month in advance, or at worst about 2 weeks in advance, and for them to be held on a weekend rather than a weekend. This would all be useful to those of us who live nowhere near the Grand Central region, to make advance arrangements.

Even if I could get Wednesday 22nd off, at this short notice now and with the premium rate weekday fares it would cost a bomb to get up to York and back for the Sunderland trips. And then there's a risk they may not go ahead anyway.

Anyway, so be it. Unfortunately circumstances means I've had to miss out on one last ride on a Valenta HST. I hope that one day in the not too distant future, the 125 Group who own some Valenta's are able to run a railtour with them.

Are you not able to do a service run tomorrow instead? That's what i'm doing, better than nothing!

Class 33

Established Member
Are you not able to do a service run tomorrow instead? That's what i'm doing, better than nothing!

Unfortunately not. As I'm down with the flu at the moment. A case of sods law it clashes with the last Valenta workings. :(

spark001uk

Established Member
Unfortunately not. As I'm down with the flu at the moment. A case of sods law it clashes with the last Valenta workings. :(

That's bad luck eh. Well I'll hopefully have a few photos of it so you're welcome to those.

mumrar

Established Member
What I meant is that they announced those special farewell York-Sunderland shuttles just 4 days in advance of them taking place.
You are aware that Grand Central are an open access operator with desire to get as much revenue from passengers as possible. They are not a charter operator run for enthusiasts, and as such have no obligation to do anything at all for the end of Valenta engined powercars. People should just be grateful that they are trying to do something.

wensley

Established Member
You are aware that Grand Central are an open access operator with desire to get as much revenue from passengers as possible. They are not a charter operator run for enthusiasts, and as such have no obligation to do anything at all for the end of Valenta engined powercars. People should just be grateful that they are trying to do something.

Exactly, it is great that GC appreciat how important this occasion is and that they want to mark the event. Credit it to them for trying to lay on a tour and for naming 43123. A very nice idea.

Rever was, indeed at fault. Looks like it was an easy fix. Maybe jus the contacters or similar.

4SRKT

Established Member
Are you aware just how much like a humourless and grumpy schoolteacher you sound in so many of your posts mumrar? First the po-faced rant about class 47s to someone obviously making a light hearted comment and now this. Dearie me.

wensley

Established Member
Are you aware just how much like a humourless and grumpy schoolteacher you sound in so many of your posts mumrar? First the po-faced rant about class 47s to someone obviously making a light hearted comment and now this. Dearie me.

I see what you're syaing but what he says is true!!

The problem is some enthusiasts (not neccessarily anyone on here) think GC have an obligation to lay on a farewell tour.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

And are you aware how downright rude you are to other members? I've counted about 3 posts today where you have laid into other people for no discernible reason.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Please stop the arguing. Mumrar may sound harsh but he has a point!

Just departed Northallerton on 2nd table from front if anyone wants to say hi.

Spark001 I can't work out who you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.