• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there likely to be a Valenta HST farewell tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Please stop the arguing. Mumrar may sound harsh but he has a point!

Just departed Northallerton on 2nd table from front if anyone wants to say hi.

Spark001 I can't work out who you are!

It shouldnt be difficult if the number of enthusiasts on board is similar to yesterday! Or have all these people who have been so vocal about a farewell event on here and other forums actually got away from their keyboards and gone out to travel!?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
Not many at all as it happens, I saw only one other camera at KX, and only a few when I got off at york, one or two of whom boarded there. None on board from kx as far as I could see, in fact the GC staff put most passengers on the 10:00 in fear of the hst being a no-go. Did you get on at york then Yorkie?

PS could someone let me know what time it gets away from SUN to come back down? Cheers.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We are approaching HPL
Quite a few enthusiasts on. Am bailing at yrk

mumrar

Established Member
I've counted about 3 posts today where you have laid into other people for no discernible reason.
So far today I have questioned why people think GC aren't doing their best for enthusiasts by laying on Valenta farewell/naming. Espeically considering one of them two remaining failed spectacularly. If 4 days notice is what they've given, I'm sure that's all they're capable of. I've also had a go at someone making a potentially libelous accusation against Merseyrail, with no founding provided as yet for the accusation made. The Class 47 thing was only light-hearted, just thougt he was wearing some Brush-tinted spectacles.

The only thing else I recalle that may be seen as rude was my response to whoever wanted us to nurse him with advice on whether they should or should not travel in the snow.

Of course, you were the very paradigm of restraint in the 'rioting students' thread :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
According to reports the last run is:
1g28 2055 kgx - ncl via Cambridge & Stillington, calling PBO, DON, YRK, THI, NTR, EAG and NCL :o

This is from people on the train. Damn, I regret bailing at York now!

wensley

Established Member
According to reports the last run is:
1g28 2055 kgx - ncl via Cambridge & Stillington, calling PBO, DON, YRK, THI, NTR, EAG and NCL :o

This is from people on the train. Damn, I regret bailing at York now!

An interesting last run to say the least! Full MTU should be the order of the day this morning if GC02 is ready

alanf

No sign of this mornings first southbound yet at Norton. I didn't know about yesterdays problems until late on so was waiting for 123 northbound last night and one of the new ones was leading. Has 123 made it to Heaton?

Alan
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This could be totally unrelated to my last post but 66077 has just passed here (Norton) wrong line heading north. Are we in for a GC drag?

Alan

junglejames

Established Member
So far today I have questioned why people think GC aren't doing their best for enthusiasts by laying on Valenta farewell/naming. Espeically considering one of them two remaining failed spectacularly. If 4 days notice is what they've given, I'm sure that's all they're capable of. I've also had a go at someone making a potentially libelous accusation against Merseyrail, with no founding provided as yet for the accusation made. The Class 47 thing was only light-hearted, just thougt he was wearing some Brush-tinted spectacles.

The only thing else I recalle that may be seen as rude was my response to whoever wanted us to nurse him with advice on whether they should or should not travel in the snow.

Of course, you were the very paradigm of restraint in the 'rioting students' thread :)

Right lets settle this and put it to bed.
Are we on about where Mumrar told me to behave myself? Its about the only comment he has made that could be conceived as nasty.
Well, it was plainly light hearted. Also, he said that because he thought I was describing the 47s as the best train ever. I was actually on about the sleeper itself, no matter whats on the front. Well at the time i was anyway.
So, no there was no malice in anything that was said, and Mumrar, there were no Brush tinted specs (just so you know). As far as i can tell, the current sleeper set up as nowt to do with Brush!!
Right, are we sorted and happy?

Now the funny thing is, Mr Thumper who accused Mumrar of being nasty, has probably been worse. He called 47s by a stupid nickname, and he called me a basher. I dont hit locos. So, all is sorted. Mumrar you are in the clear.

Good, now all of you repeat after me. 47s rule!

spark001uk

Established Member
Just to let everyone know- got home in the end lastnight, 1A61 drew into KX 3hrs 22min late. Felt like i'd been on it an eternity! It left again on what i assumed to be 1N28 at 2100, apparently going all the way back up to Sunderland, via Cambridge again with conductor driver. However i see it's since been reported as a NCL finish?
By the way that's why we waited for about 40 outside Peterborough on 1A61, had to keep platform clear, and also wait for a conductor driver to turn up. (to show the GC driver pastures new!)

On the plus side though, the driver treated us to a lovely farewell departure when he left, he yanked that loud stick right back!! (vids to follow)
Well done driver, last departure from KX as 43123 (not to forget last Valenta) and you made it count! Hats off to you mate.

UPDATE:
I've just uploaded the vid i took of above departure. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWjxUptD7Pk

.-.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good video. I wonder if BOSCH managed to take the helm for the last departure?

spark001uk

Established Member
Not sure, here's a pic of him, he had a woolly hat on i believe, is that him?

Attachments

• P1010254a.jpg
    P1010254a.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 32

wensley

Established Member
Unfortunately BOSCH missed out, he's ill at the moment :(
Get well soon mate.
Still a cracking show from the last day drivers. They're all top las. Cheers guys :D

alanf

JUst to let you all know 123 is pushing its way to London just gone through Norton on what i think is the 9 18 off Sunderland Go get it

Alan

Darandio

Established Member
People are talking about the last trips already, are the four "specials" still on tomorrow?

Jordy

Established Member
From the GC website:

On Wed 22nd December we will be running four special “farewell” trips to say goodbye to the venerable and “much loved” Valenta Diesel engine. These will be the last journeys ever to be powered by a Valenta engine prior to the power unit being replaced by a new MTU version.
We know that many enthusiasts will want to pay their last respects to this amazing engine so we are intending to run four special shuttle journeys between Sunderland and York direct (there will be no interim stops).
Special Commemorative Tickets (First and Standard Class) will only be sold on board. We cannot provide seat reservations. First Class single fare is £50; Standard Class single fare is £25. No concessions or passes will be valid.

Only single tickets will be available for each journey:

Journey 1 (Red Ticket): Sunderland to York via Durham Coast (Departing Sunderland at 09.30 and arriving York at 11.01)
Journey 2 (Yellow Ticket): York to Sunderland via East Coast Main Line (Departing York at 11.35 and arriving Sunderland at 13.02)
Journey 3 (Green Ticket): Sunderland to York via Durham Coast (Departing Sunderland at 13.09 and arriving York at 14.36)
Journey 4 (Blue Ticket): York to Sunderland via Durham Coast (Departing York at 15.08 and arriving Sunderland at 16.50)

http://www.grandcentralrail.co.uk/vacancy8

4SRKT

Established Member
"Much loved" in inverted commas? Are they not 'much loved' then?

spark001uk

Established Member
I bet GC's eyes lit up with pound signs when they realised 123 was hooked up to the TF!!

MCR247

Established Member
Trailer First. The comment meant that bashers would want to be behind 123, and the TF is behind it, not a standard :L

Status
Not open for further replies.