• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there such a thing as a RHD mobile crane or roadsweeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Perhaps a bit of a daft thread, but have there ever been RHD (right hand drive) mobile cranes and/or roadsweepers in this country. I understand why roadsweepers would be LHD, given that they're used to sweep gutters at the side of the road, but I'm not sure why mobile cranes are LHD.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Perhaps a bit of a daft thread, but have there ever been RHD (right hand drive) mobile cranes and/or roadsweepers in this country. I understand why roadsweepers would be LHD, given that they're used to sweep gutters at the side of the road, but I'm not sure why mobile cranes are LHD.

I can't be absolutely sure about this, but the star of my Dinky Toy collection in the 1950s was a Coles (?) mobile crane, and I don't remember that being LHD. We did have a council depot down the road when I was a kid, and the sweepers were LHD though, but the steamrollers were driven froM a central position, I believe!

GB

Established Member

I believe is simply due to the fact they are built in countries where LHD is prevalent and offering a RHD version is too costly and complex for a smaller market.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It may be that LHD is safer for such a large vehicle, as it gives the driver a better view to ensure thay are clear of kerbs, parked cars, cyclists etc. RHD is better for overtaking but I can't see a heavy crane doing that very much!

I suppose to answer that question we need to know which side the driver sits in similar vehicles on the Continent.

Waldgrun

I understand that at one time the U.S. postal service used right hand drive delivery vans in certain cities!

GB

Established Member
I understand that at one time the U.S. postal service used right hand drive delivery vans in certain cities!

They still do in many areas. They have used (among others) the German Long Life Vehicle (LLV) which is RHD for the last 30 odd years. Its modern replacement, while still not yet decided on, also has a RHD requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.