Is this a new reason to cancel a train?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by syorksdeano, 3 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syorksdeano

syorksdeano Member

Was just looking at the real times site and noticed that a train from Sheffield was cancelled tonight from Bridlington

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y53916/2015/05/02/advanced

According to the site, the reason the train was cancelled was due to 'passengers not having valid tickets'.

I've never seen this reason given before.

Last edited: 3 May 2015
  2. tsr

tsr Established Member

This reason can also mean that the passengers refused to pay (with a delay like this, I should imagine there was probably also some considerable disorder/refusal to leave the train arising from the incident as well). Maybe the guard refused to move the train until BTP attended, and they were some distance away. If not disorder, if there was some sort of rare high-value fraud suspected, this I could begin to understand. If it was over a slightly tipsy person refusing to leave over non-payment of a £2 fare, I'd be rather annoyed and wouldn't necessarily advocate that...

I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying that it would be incredibly rare for a train to be delayed by a total of 68 minutes and then cancelled because a ticket was simply invalid and no disorder arose as a result of it being queried... though when you read some of our fellow member RJ's stories, you might begin to wonder... ;)

3. syorksdeano

syorksdeano Member

4. IanXC

IanXC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Cheapest Fare on this service would be £4.60 for an Anytime Single for the 10 minute journey to Nafferton!

The original service was 41 late leaving Bridlington, which would have caused a very significant delay to a Hull - Sheffield service - Northern took the decision to run the Hull to Sheffield leg in its usual time slot. Its worth noting that that service departed Hull at 2220, when the original service from Bridlington would only just have reached Nafferton (perhaps, it lost an additional 20 minutes between Bridlington and Beverley, potentially for the same reason!).

Certainly an unusual occurrence for this line, it'll be interesting if we find out what happened!

5. PermitToTravel

PermitToTravel Established Member

There's a list of the cancellation/delay reasons here

6. swills

swills Member

Police requested and attended, due to fight(s) on train 2G97 was a reformed 2C97 and ran as a special, one assumes wth a fresh unit,
    C97 lost time en route awaiting Amubulance at Nafferton, dont konw if it was connected to orignal disorder.
    RTT should have VA not VE :)

7. syorksdeano

syorksdeano Member

Ah I should have realised something, bank holiday weekend tends to equal ****ed up people.

But Bridlington? It's the first I've heard of any trouble on any train going to or from Brid

8. Oswyntail

Oswyntail Established Member

There have been larger crowds there with the start of the "Tour de Yorkshire" the previous day. Right rumbustious lot these lycra-monkeys.

9. reb0118

reb0118 Established Member Fares Advisor

Yes, but have you seen the state of the boozer at Bridlington station? :p

10. mac

mac Member

Maybe cancelled because all the signal men had gone home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.